Sponsored by:

Satellite radio install

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:54 PM
crash13
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite radio install

Okay, I finally decided to add XM satellite radio to my 996. I found several other threads about mounting the antenna between the pollen filter and battery. I get an acceptable signal strength with the antenna here and it's invisible. Great. Now the hard part -- how the heck do you get the antenna wire into the cabin?? I tried feeding through the 2 wiring bundles with no success. Is there something easy I'm missing? Do I need to (gulp) drill through the firewall? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

rob
Old 10-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There should be a rubber grommet on the drivers side that comes out high above the pedal cluster. If you have a CD changer then you can likely see the cables already there. Just put the cable through the same grommet.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:27 AM
crash13
Track Day

Loren,
Thanks for the quick reply. I hate to be dumb, but I'm not sure where this grommet is. I can see about a 3 inch grommet to the right of the battery, although there are no wires going through it. Is this what you are talking about? I do have a CD changer, but I'm having trouble following the wiring. BTW, the car is a 2002. Thanks.

rob
Old 10-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Chrisp3
Instructor

crah13- when you finally estabkish a good path to the inside of the cabin could you post the info and a picture for the rest of us? I am about to add XM to my 99MY. Also can you point me to the link that disucsses the antenna mounting options. thanks
Old 10-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Loren
Drifting

Originally Posted by crash13
Loren,
Thanks for the quick reply. I hate to be dumb, but I'm not sure where this grommet is. I can see about a 3 inch grommet to the right of the battery, although there are no wires going through it. Is this what you are talking about? I do have a CD changer, but I'm having trouble following the wiring. BTW, the car is a 2002. Thanks.

rob
Here is a pic (not my car) that should give you a general idea. Just follow the the cable that is laying over the trunk bead.

Last edited by Loren; 07-23-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:50 PM
crash13
Track Day

Loren,
Thanks. That gives me a good idea where to run the antenna lead. I guess I'll be playing around tomorrow after work.

rob
Old 10-30-2005, 08:12 PM
crash13
Track Day

Chrisp3,
After doing a few searches (try searching for satellite), I found 3 possible locations.

1) You can do as the manufacturer recommends and mount the antenna on the roof. Probably the best reception, but it looks awful.

2) You can mount under the plastic that covers the wipers. Check Loren's post above for where to run the lead into the cabin. The antenna is hidden, although the reception may not be as good as with the antenna mounted on the roof.

3) You can mount the antenna on the dash. I ran around like that yesterday and found the reception to be adequate.

I've seen a lot of people bashing the FM modulator to tie into the factory radio. There may be some degradation in sound, but I don't notice it. I purchased an Audiovox XC9 with a car and a home kit. I was playing the unit in the house and was still able to pick up the signal over the car radio and it still sounded good. When I get the install finished I'll post some pictures.

rob
Old 10-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Loren
Drifting

I've seen the antenna mounted (see the pic) centered right under the dash but on the trunk side (inside).
Old 10-30-2005, 10:10 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

I've got my Sirius antenna mounted immediately to the right of the alarm indicator on the dash. Reception has been excellent. Wire run comes out of the plastic alarm cover and is completely hidden. Pretty easy to do and is a great solution for a cab where mounting in the rear is nearly impossible. Had a little bit of fallout with the antenna mounted under the wiper plastic housing, very rarely now.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:23 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to Best Buy and paid 80 bucks for them to install it all.....worth the money...the antenna was placed inside on the dash left side all the way in the corner against the window...and it works great...so no ugly bumps on the outside...

Quick Reply: Satellite radio install