996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PPI questions....input please

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005 | 09:48 AM
skipp
Instructor

Default PPI questions....input please

What exactly is in a PPI and how far does the inspection go? I was told by a dealer that to check for RMS, you had to drop the engine from the car. Do they do this in a PPI? Also, if your confident the car hasn't been wrecked and the you still have warranty to fix any problems, is the PPI absolutely necessary. I'm looking at a car that is in a back *** town and hard to have inspected. Any input is appreciated.

THanks,

Skipp
Old 10-28-2005 | 10:14 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Skipp,

I have noticed that you have posted 30+ posts asking about RMS leaks, recalled trannies, etc., etc. No offense but if you worry too much about reliability and maintenance costs then maybe you should be looking at a Honda Accord.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? Is the car in the "back *** town" really such a good deal? There are plenty of 996's out there -- some have even bought cars located halfway across the country and drove them hundreds of miles home. You just have to be patient and look. If the car doesn't feel right then keep looking somewhere else.

A 996 with warranty still remaining would be your best bet. A CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) 996 should be your second choice. If you can't find either one then at least try to find a car you like and have a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection, basically an inspection checklist) performed by a Porsche Dealer or qualified mechanic. A CPO or PPI won't guarantee that the car will be trouble free (there have been posts on Rennlist of people buying CPO cars that have problems a month or two after purchase) but it will give you the better odds.

Most of us here bought our Porsches for emotional reasons. For me, logic dictates that the Lexus LS is a much more practical car -- 4 seats, plenty of luggage room, nice engine, comfortable ride, good resale value, etc. -- but it is not a Porsche. I have always wanted a Porsche but I didn't get one until I could afford the price of the car and the cost of maintenance (I went through BMWs and a couple of Benzes first).

Please don't take this the wrong way. I know very little about you -- I've only read your posts. But from what I have read, you seem to be very hung up on something. I wish you luck on your hunt for the perfect Porsche but take your time and don't rush into it. I have been there and done that and I feel confident that you will have your Porsche someday.

-Gary
Old 10-28-2005 | 10:54 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

A car in the back woods of town that makes you worry this much is not worth buying.

A PPI does not involve dropping the engine.

Checking for a RMS leak is just that. Look under the car for a fluid leak.

The 996 is expensive so get one with a warranty and a PPI.
Old 10-28-2005 | 01:53 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by skipp
What exactly is in a PPI and how far does the inspection go? Skipp
The PPI is delineated on a Porsche check list, just as the 30K, etc inspections are.

A Porsche dealer should be happy to give you a blank one. I can't remember if mine included a formal entry for RMS check .... but I do know that, in the notes, it was annotated "no sign of RMS leak".

The check can be expensive, by the way. I didn't pay for mine ..... but I saw the bill, and it was several hundred dollars. (Park Place Porsche in DFW).
Old 10-28-2005 | 02:09 PM
skipp
Instructor

Thanks for all your input, I'm just trying to be thorough and am probably very ****.
Old 10-28-2005 | 02:19 PM
pl
Drifting

i used to have a blank one, got lost when moving.
it's 2 pages list. contains pretty much everything, all acc. all belt, fans, etc.
it does include section to indicate if there's any oil leaking on engine/trans. etc.
PPI is a MUST, unless u buying the car from porsche dealer.
good luck, be patient, good (used) car don't come every day.
Old 10-28-2005 | 03:06 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Hey Skipp,

I got your PM. Yeah, that's a tricky situation. Is there an independent Porsche shop in your area? I am sure you can get a copy of the inspection checklist from the dealer and have the PPI done by an independent mechanic.

I think you will find that there is a better selection of previously-owned Porsches in Northern Virginia and Maryland -- if you don't mind the drive. Actually, the drive back home would give you a good opportunity to "bond" with your car. It is something to consider.

-G
Old 10-29-2005 | 01:04 AM
Gnome
Racer

I don't think they drop the engine to check RMS. They should be able to put the car on a lift and inspect it from underneath. My PPI was a couple hours worth of the mechanic going over the car with a fine tooth comb. These days they don't do much to take the engine apart because they do a complete download of the engine computer. The printout is many pages long and has a history of error codes, whether the engine ever went over redline, etc. Mine even showed how many times the car alarm had been set off (4).

P.S. I would never buy a car without a PPI. The mechanic will spot things you never would have known about. I once had a car inspected that the seller swore had never been in an accident. The mechanic pointed out where the repairs had been done, and then the seller admitted it.

Last edited by Gnome; 10-29-2005 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Added a P.S.
Old 10-31-2005 | 05:54 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

for peace of mind...get it checked...I didn't...stupid?? maybe...but I found the one I wanted,cab, full leather, tripple black w/tiptronic, classic rims (hard to find)...so took the risk. Bought an extended warranty for 3 years...not at the dealer....and the car (knock on wood) still drives great (already 2500mls in 6 weeks).
Next time I will take a little more caution and get a PPI, because I will already have a Pse.

Quick Reply: PPI questions....input please