Front Lip Addition?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 05:26 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by UNC Nick
Jetskied- I may look into that. Thought it would set me back quite a bit more than that so I never really put much thought into it.

Tim- I'll show you the wheels in person sometime if you like. I'm in SE Charlotte. Bob's pics swayed me to them a few weeks ago and I'm extremely happy with them on my artic cab.
Nick - I would like to see your wheels in person. Maybe we can hook up in the next couple of weeks. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:41 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim- let me know what your schedule looks like over the next few weeks. I'm going to be out of town quite a bit, but I will be in town at least a few days each week.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I know where Tim will be for MNF on the 21st (Nov)!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have experience with adding a front lip onto a stock bumper rather than changing out the bumper alltogether? I'm about to add side skirts to my '00 Cab and need to do something to "even out" the look on the front. I've been checking out the Getty Design front Aero Splitter and it looks like it would accomplish what I'm looking to do. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Nick
Nick,

Did you ever get this front splitter? I was thinking of it also but have never seen a picture of it on a car or heard how good the fit is.

If you or anyone has this and has photo's, I would very much appreciate seeing them and hearing what they think.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete- there are 2 splitters for the fron that are available from Getty. The one that I posted gives a "GT3" look. The other is the Folded Splitter below... Are you sure that the one that looked so good with Aero II was the first?
Anyone know if these are really functional?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got a related question: Is there an aero aid for the front end of a '00, one that doesn't aesthetically demand skirts and a wing? I'm not interested in going to the aero look (it's cool, but not my thing), but I'd love to settle the front end down at speed just a touch. A nice, subtle little... something... what...?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:31 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I've got a related question: Is there an aero aid for the front end of a '00, one that doesn't aesthetically demand skirts and a wing? I'm not interested in going to the aero look (it's cool, but not my thing), but I'd love to settle the front end down at speed just a touch. A nice, subtle little... something... what...?
I have not heard of an 'aero aid' as such, just the aero kit for '00. Putting a front aero bumper on will give you the aid you are looking for, however tt is not recommended to put only the front aero bumper on without a rear spoiler (straight from Porsche)...this is very unsafe at high speeds. But then if you just add the front aero bumper and a rear spoiler the kit will look incomplete without the side skirts...IMHO

There are additional pieces that you can get for the aero front bumper, but for a non-aero front bumper again I have not seen any and I would think it would look a little weird too.

But hey it's your car and you made it known you are not into the aero look, but the aero look is not just for looks, it is functional.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:15 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Putting a front aero bumper on will give you the aid you are looking for, however tt is not recommended to put only the front aero bumper on without a rear spoiler (straight from Porsche)...this is very unsafe at high speeds.
Porsche, themselves, realized that the 99-01s were inclined to lift at the front, and changed the bumper themselves for 02, so I don't think I'd be in trouble with a small splitter-type solution, or an 02-style bumper that accommodated my headlights. It is dangerous to add aero to one end of a car and not the other, but for 911s that risk is much, much greater if you do a wing and not a front spoiler. The reverse risks creating lift at the back, which seems unlikely at any speed I would drive at.

Anyhow, just curious. Lots of cars have small aero aids at the front that you don't even see unless you look closely; was just wondering if such a thing existed for this car.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:24 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Porsche, themselves, realized that the 99-01s were inclined to lift at the front, and changed the bumper themselves for 02, so I don't think I'd be in trouble with a small splitter-type solution, or an 02-style bumper that accommodated my headlights. It is dangerous to add aero to one end of a car and not the other, but for 911s that risk is much, much greater if you do a wing and not a front spoiler. The reverse risks creating lift at the back, which seems unlikely at any speed I would drive at.

Anyhow, just curious. Lots of cars have small aero aids at the front that you don't even see unless you look closely; was just wondering if such a thing existed for this car.
I think you are going to have a problem locating much of a choice for pre '02 body parts nowadays, most of which you will find will probably be fiberglass. Suncoast has nothing from Porsche for our cars anymore.

MA Shaw may have something (http://www.mashaw.com/)
Old 01-19-2008, 07:27 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I think you are going to have a problem locating much of a choice for pre '02 body parts nowadays, most of which you will find will probably be fiberglass. Suncoast has nothing from Porsche for our cars anymore.

MA Shaw may have something (http://www.mashaw.com/)
That's what I figured. I guess I don't go fast enough often enough to open a can of worms like that... thx for the comments, though.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:41 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

That's what I figured. I guess I don't go fast enough often enough to open a can of worms like that... thx for the comments, though.
Your welcome and actually Suncoast does have a couple of items, side skirts the GT Spoilers but that's it.

Try ebay.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aero Aid = GT3 Cup Front Splitter

Bruce, yes there is an aero aid for the Mk1 front bumper. You can add a GT3 Cup Front Splitter (part# 996 505 986 90) for $175 (http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_aero.shtml). This was discussed earlier: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=399525&page=2 with a link to 6speed where someone posted a DIY with pics: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...&highlight=lip.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by hwk72
Bruce, yes there is an aero aid for the Mk1 front bumper. You can add a GT3 Cup Front Splitter (part# 996 505 986 90) for $175 (http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_aero.shtml). This was discussed earlier: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=399525&page=2 with a link to 6speed where someone posted a DIY with pics: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...&highlight=lip.
Bingo. I can't find a pic of the lip for the pre-facelift cars, but this looks like the sort of solution I was imagining. Thanks so much for going to the trouble!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bingo. I can't find a pic of the lip for the pre-facelift cars, but this looks like the sort of solution I was imagining. Thanks so much for going to the trouble!
The guy with the post facelift car on 6speed did post much better pics but her's what the guy with the pre facelift car did post, using the GT3 Cup Front Splitter (page 3 of the 6speed thread):
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2008, 02:18 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by hwk72
The guy with the post facelift car on 6speed did post much better pics but her's what the guy with the pre facelift car did post, using the GT3 Cup Front Splitter (page 3 of the 6speed thread):
Nice. Again, thanks!

Quick Reply: Front Lip Addition?