Sponsored by:

Anyone with expierence with KUMHO ECSTA SPT tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:56 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Anyone with expierence with KUMHO ECSTA SPT tires

Anyone with expierence with KUMHO ECSTA SPT Ultra High Performance (rated YR) tires.

Please post your comments.

These are nearly half the price of the Michelin Pilot Sport Rib and Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico tires.
I don't need ZR rated tires since I rarly even to 180km/hour.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Anyone with expierence with KUMHO ECSTA SPT Ultra High Performance (rated YR) tires.

Please post your comments.

These are nearly half the price of the Michelin Pilot Sport Rib and Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico tires.
I don't need ZR rated tires since I rarly even to 180km/hour.
I would not put Kumho tires on my Porsche.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:30 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
I would not put Kumho tires on my Porsche.
Any reason? or just because of the name brand/look good factor.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:08 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kumho

They are better looking than Fuzion Zri...
Old 11-04-2005, 07:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a reason they cost so little.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:09 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the Kumho Escta 712 Sport tires on my E36 M3 and liked them. They felt a little mushy are high speeds, but in all they were fine. I still have them on the wheels. For the money they cannot be beat. I think you should get the best tires you can afford. If your budget limits you from getting better tires, than that is life. I have not tried them on my p car, but if you are thinking about getting Kumhos to save yourself $500.00 remember, only 4 little 4 square inches connect your 2 ton bullet to the road. Is $500 worth it, are you willing to take that chance with your car.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I run the Kumho Esctas on my daily driver older C4 Corvette, but rarely exceed 75 mph. The tires have been greatly improved over the last couple of years according to my indy tire guy. I would not run them on my Porsches.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:11 AM
stsanford
Advanced

I have these tires on my C4 cab. They came on the car when I purchased it used.
Horrible. Must be out of round, or something because they're noisy and make the car sound like it has bad wheel bearings. I am going to run them for while and Will be beating them severely on the Autocross Circuit, but in my opinion is that they are terrible.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a set of Ecsta 712's on my Boxster and regretted it every single time I drove the car. They have limited dry grip, feel "greasy", and flat spot horribly. They squeal terribly also. They are almost impossible to get balanced properly.
Basically, you get what you pay for, and when you consider the life of a tire, premium tires only cost pennies per mile more than cheap ones.
Tire selection has so much to do with the performance of any car, that I will NEVER again buy anything less than a premium quality tire for my Porsche. Never again. Never.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:07 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Kuhmo tire I would imagine they will be fine for average driving. However they are cheaper for a reason which may be less maximum grip, or not as soft as a ride, or noisier, or not good in the wet. The best advice is to spend the amount of money you are comfortable with. I have used Toyo tire on an older 911 and can say they were OK tires. They wern't great but not uncomfortable nor greasy as some would have you think of a cheaper tire. I'm sure Michellin are better, but like I said its what are you confortable with.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:35 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the Ecsta 712 for a while now and very happy with them.

I initially bought them for the price and found they are not bad for street driving. I don't drive very fast in public roads. A better tire will just be wasted for the way I drive in public road.

I use them as rain tires or when my track tires are done at the track where I drive faster.

I have no problems with them.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 PM
wbtanner
2nd Gear

Have used the Escta's as track (rain) tires on my 930 as well as alternate track (dry) tires when my Victoracers wore out. They performed very well, wore like iron, but did get a little greasy after 10 or so heat cycles. I also used a pair of Escta ASXs on my Audi A4 at a winter rally school and although they are not Blizzaks, they were amazing in the snow and ice. (Shocked a lot of people) I also used them on the same car for a couple days at Watkins Glen and they were as reasonable in the dry and heat. I use the ASX as daily winter tires on my 996 C4 and they are great all-temperature tires. Use P-Zeros during the summer. Escta are not as good as the P-Zeros in the dry or summer rain, but close. The big problem is they wear too long and really need changed out before they wear out. As daily drivers they are not as quiet as P-Zero, but if I really want tires for the track, or that stick like glue, I use track tires! Been a Kuhmo fan for years!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a set of SPTs on the 993 to replace the Pilot Sport IIs. After two autocrosses, I feel that they have a bit less grip than the Michelins, but are predictible and stable. They like lower pressures, and ride better. They do not go away when hot like the Bridgestone S02s did. The cost was about half the price, which was a major factor.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I run these on my TT. Soft sidewall, so not the best track choice but a decent value on the street.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:57 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm on my 2nd set of Ecsta MX for track beaters. I would not recommend them for the road as the are quite noisy on the freeway. But the price is great and they grip like crazy. I don't find them to be greasy at all - they make plenty of noise before they let go. They're even decent in the wet. We had an autocross a couple of years ago where it started to rain in the morning. Everybody with slicks went home but we continued the session in the pouring rain. Only a C4S with regular street tires was faster than me. That was probably the most fun I've ever had at an autocross.

Quick Reply: Anyone with expierence with KUMHO ECSTA SPT tires