Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cab Top Latching Issue- Need help: Fuse issue or motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005 | 02:59 AM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Default Cab Top Latching Issue- Need help: Fuse issue or motor?

Posted this at RennTech as well, so it may look a little familiar if you surf both forums (who doesn't???)

Looking for some help. My 2000 C2 Cab has an issue with the "final" latching of the top when closing. I did some searching here and on Rennlist and found that a few people had also experienced this problem and many rectified it by either replacing or reseating the fuse (B5 location on the 2000 C2 is just for the latching, another fuse handles the rest of the motion). Well, I tired replacing the B5 fuse- though not blown- and everything working fine. A few days later, though, same problem. This time, reseat the fuse and all's well again. It's happened a few more times now and is getting pretty aggravating. I did have the top replaced a few weeks ago and have only noticed this since, although the top was RARELY used before that due to a separated back window and a previous owner that used it enough times to count on one hand (a family member so I know the real history). Any ideas on what to do? I've comtemplated taking apart and reassembling the motor and housing for the latch to see if that helps anything out. The fuse isn't blown, and I doubt that the fuse itself is faulty since I've tried a few of them with the same results. I'm baffled with this one. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Nick
Old 10-24-2005 | 01:24 PM
Laura
Pro

Nick,
Take a look at the black "cap" on the hook at the very front of the top that filts into the latch. If this part is damaged, the switch does not "sense" that the top is in the closed position ready to be latched. Fairly common problem.
Old 10-24-2005 | 06:20 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Laura- I don't see any cap whatsoever on the hook, just the bare metal of the hook. I'm guessing that I'm missing something there, or am I looking at the wrong thing?
Old 10-24-2005 | 09:04 PM
Laura
Pro

Nick, I think you can see # 11
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
rennlist hook.pdf (24.6 KB, 460 views)
Old 10-24-2005 | 09:47 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

So there is a cover that goes over the metal? If so, I'm DEFINITELY missing it. Wondering if they neglected to put it back on when re-assembling the top.
Old 06-07-2007 | 05:59 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bumping this thread back from the dead--

How exactly does this little plastic bit get damaged?

I am having this same issue. . .
Old 06-07-2007 | 06:10 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UNC Nick
So there is a cover that goes over the metal? If so, I'm DEFINITELY missing it. Wondering if they neglected to put it back on when re-assembling the top.
That is very likely your problem - mine broke one day and until I had it replaced, I had to push up on the latch with my thumb. There is a sensor inside the receiving end of the latch. The plastic piece is a bad design. My new piece hasn't broken, but it won't stay tightly attached to the metal part and I still have to put my thumb up there to get it to latch and raise the windows.
Old 06-07-2007 | 06:12 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tedwright
Bumping this thread back from the dead--

How exactly does this little plastic bit get damaged?

I am having this same issue. . .
It only really covers the bottom surface and sides of the metal latch and then curls around the tip of the latch. On mine, I witnessed it getting caught one day as the roof retracted and the piece simply snapped.
Old 06-07-2007 | 06:15 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

gets old and brittle and breaks
Old 07-09-2012 | 06:56 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

During the winter I use the hard top. At the start of the summer for the past 2 years as I began to use the soft top, the hook would click in then go into reverse. In other words would not latch and stay. After a few more trys it started to work well and stayed working well from then on. No idea what caused that but it seemed to work better the more I use it. I havent checked to see if the plastic is still on the hook. But will do sometime today.
Old 07-10-2012 | 03:31 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

This is what a new plastic piece looks like. (Drawing top left) I think there is a TSB that shows cutting a slot in the top eye, shown in the drawing, to enable it to slide over the pivot pin during replacement.

Larger pic is another method for replacement. The bottom "shoe" is cut off the plastic cover to make it very easy to replace it. (toss the top part) Pick your favorite glue and glue it on at #1, I think.
Attached Images   
Old 01-06-2013 | 11:27 PM
cartype
5th Gear

I have been having this issue with my 2002 996 for some time now. It does not happen every time (and of course, the times I take it in to be looked at, it works) but, now it happens a lot. The top closes, but the final latch "lock" prevents the final sequence from finishing, forcing the light on the dash to blink. Additionally, now the rear passenger window will not go up.
Old 01-06-2013 | 11:29 PM
cartype
5th Gear

A few more points on the above... I have received so many "solutions" for this that I just do not know who is right or what to do about it. Of course, the fees vary as well.
Old 01-07-2013 | 12:51 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Well after reading the above posts I have no idea either.
Did you look at the "hook" to see if the plastic is still on it?

The rear windows will not close until the final micro switch, at the header, is activated by the end of the latch hook.

Quick Reply: Cab Top Latching Issue- Need help: Fuse issue or motor?