Sponsored by:

Headlamp Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Carolina Cutter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp Help!!

I just attempted my first attempt at servicing my 2001 C2. Looks like I failed miserably... first of all, on recommendation of a fellow rennlister, I order the Phillips BlueVision H6W to replace my city light (or parking light? - When my headlamps are on and the ignition off, this side does not light up). Upon opening my owner's manual... I see the apparently I need a W5W.

Can anyone clarify if I do need the W5W and let me know if perhaps the H6W is interchangeable???

Also, I apparently did not receive the "socket wrench" in my tool kit from the previous owner. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a replacement or the correct size so that I can use a socket out of my home tool set?

TIA...

Daniel
Old 10-20-2005, 01:57 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

H6W is the correct city light bulb for Litronic (Xenon) headlamps. If you have the regular halogen headlamps you need W5W (wedge). They are not interchangeable.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:14 AM
Carolina Cutter
Intermediate

programm.... thanks again for the help. I believe that I have the Xenon's, but is there a test to be sure (wow I sound like a **** on this one). The manual does not mention an H6 as any of the bulbs... perhaps the manual is only for the standard headlamps and mine were an option??

Any help with the tool?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:23 AM
programmatore
Drifting

If you don't have the tool then try using a 3/16" hex bit. The hole is pretty deep though so you need to have an exntension "thingy" (sorry, I don't know the technical term for it).

Once you get the headlight assembly out it is pretty easy to check what kind of bulb you need. If the burnt out bulb has a metal base (looks like a "regular" bulb) then it is an H6W. If it doesn't have a metal base and just a glass "wedge" then it is a W5W. Actually, you can just compare the burnt out bulb to the replacement ones you bought to see if they are the same type.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:25 AM
programmatore
Drifting

One more thing...try not to touch the (good) bulb with your bare hands since the oil in your skin will cause the bulb to burn out prematurely. If you do touch it, make sure you clean it with some alcohol -- you can use the Wet-Naps like you get from restaurants.

-Gary
Old 10-20-2005, 09:48 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Can I ask a related question as well? Do Xenon lights faid. If so, mine have faded. What is the bulb number and where can I get replacement Xenon bulbs for a car that came with factory Xensons. I have a 2001 C4.

Thank You

Chris
Old 10-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Carolina Cutter
Intermediate

prog...

Thanks for the help. Successful install last night... I used a 5mm socket.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Headlamp Help!!