Sponsored by:

Got smoked by a CBR Bike last Saturday morning

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 09:22 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by watt
I am chased by superbikes frequently in the Santa Monica Mountains where i live. No way i can hold them in a straight even in the gt2, but there are few... straights and one set of 2nd gear esses and i can't even see them any more they're so far behind...

and every weekend, the ambulance come to Malibu and takes home the dead and the wounded superbikers, AKA temporary Americans...
No doubt, no bike is match for you GT2 in the twisties, so I guess it depends in the ratio between straights and curves.

BTW Watt, did you recieve yet your GT3 that you ordered? What are the pro's and cons you see compared to your GT2? Nobody better to ask than one who owns both of them
Old 07-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Andy U
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you, Uwe, for the numbers. And thank you, Watt, for the statement about risk profiles. I've been watching this post for a while and kept feeling a bit disturbed.

Bikes (at speeds that won't get you instantly thrown in jail) have a huge acceleration advantage. In the twisties, with stock sticky tires that are warmed up, a bike will keep close to a Carerra, faster or slower. This is assuming equally skilled drivers/riders. Once the road straightens out, however, the bike will pull away and continue to do so on every straight. It would be difficult for any car to make that up.

Here's my point, most of the fast riders I know NEVER push 100% on the street. There are too many things that can go wrong from gravel to oil to getting your head knocked off from opposing traffic while apexing a turn. Cars can generally recover from these things so there is less penalty for pushing it. These same fast riders hone their skills and play only at the track. I track my bike but will not track the C4S. I come away from the track with melted rubber all the way out to the edges of the tires...I never get this on the streets.

When you "beat" a bike on the streets with your car, you have no idea whether the rider was at his limit...he may just be playing it smart or just not playing. As someone stated earlier, certainly don't "push" a bike by following behind them...it's not worth the awful feeling you will have seeing him low side, high side, or just run off the road. Just respect each others machines and move on.

Sorry for the reaction.

Andy
Old 07-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Andy U
Here's my point, most of the fast riders I know NEVER push 100% on the street. There are too many things that can go wrong from gravel to oil to getting your head knocked off from opposing traffic while apexing a turn. Cars can generally recover from these things so there is less penalty for pushing it. These same fast riders hone their skills and play only at the track. I track my bike but will not track the C4S. I come away from the track with melted rubber all the way out to the edges of the tires...I never get this on the streets.

When you "beat" a bike on the streets with your car, you have no idea whether the rider was at his limit...he may just be playing it smart or just not playing. As someone stated earlier, certainly don't "push" a bike by following behind them...it's not worth the awful feeling you will have seeing him low side, high side, or just run off the road. Just respect each others machines and move on.
Andy
So true, Andy.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by Carlos from Spain
No doubt, no bike is match for you GT2 in the twisties, so I guess it depends in the ratio between straights and curves.

BTW Watt, did you recieve yet your GT3 that you ordered? What are the pro's and cons you see compared to your GT2? Nobody better to ask than one who owns both of them
Carlos I hope you are well!!!

the ratio between straights and curves at N ring must be absolutely balanced GIXXer: GT2!.

my gt3 completed 6/26/3 and i expect it in august. i certainly will report comparing gt2 and gt3. i am hoping someone in europe will do it sooner!!!
i am going off to do the high speed road races in Nevada this summer: the altitude starts at 5,000 and runs to 7,000 which i believe will advantage the gt2. Gary/ringmeister, a superior driver, who ran in his gt3 at N ring in June but has not driven a gt2, believes the gt2 will be more fun on the street and gt3 the track..... we shall see.

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:09 AM
silver996
Instructor

Default Malibu

Watt,

How often do you drive around Malibu, and which roads do you take? Do you usually go mornings or afternoons? It looks like you were hanging out at the intersection of stunt and saddlepeak roads in the pic there. I was up there last sunday, driving up Stunt from Mulholland. Some crazy dude in an old red 930 slantnose was mashing the throttle up the hill in front of me...

What in your opinion are the best roads (I thought Stunt was pretty sweet ) around there? I usually come up Las Flores from Santa Monica. One time a couple of months ago, the cops were waiting halfway up the hill with the radar guns. Do you see a lot of police up there...?

David
Old 07-18-2003, 11:12 AM
noony
Racer

Some nice cars in that pic! Not sure about the yellow one though.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Default arnold's mystery wax -- hides any flaw, even in black!!!

how about this one noony???

david, latigo cyn.

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MikeP Long Island
"... because when I have kids soon I will probably have to let go"

Naah!!! I'm 58 years old; been riding bikes all my life. Currently doing it on a Ducati 996. I try to hit at least 130MPH every time I ride. Best speed so far (Yes, deserted road with plenty of visibility on all sides) was an indicated 150MPH. Since bike speedos are not known for accuracy, I'm sure the actual was something below that.

I have to admit my wife doesn't like hearing that. Then again, she jumps horses so she knows she has no room to complain about risks!

Anyway, my point is DON'T believe you have to give up something just because you are getting "older" from a responsibility point of view.
Keep riding!
Hey Carlos, your thinking right. You don't have to give it up, just slow up.

Me, I'm 64 & own a BMW K75 because if I own bigger I'll go too fast. Last year I rented a BMW R1100 out of Milan. Took the ferry north of Rome to southern Sardina, took the bike up through Corsica and across to Verona, solo. 180-190kpm for hours. Ahhhhhh, I really picked my cookies (you can't do that in the US).

My wife and I went down at about 60mph in 1971 and I can still remember the roll. Maybe that's why she wouldn't go with me last year.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Torags
Me, I'm 64 & own a BMW K75 because if I own bigger I'll go too fast. Last year I rented a BMW R1100 out of Milan. Took the ferry north of Rome to southern Sardina, took the bike up through Corsica and across to Verona, solo. 180-190kpm for hours. Ahhhhhh, I really picked my cookies (you can't do that in the US).
That must of been a beautiful ride Torags and you sure picked the right bike for the job
Old 07-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Say Carlos, I did Spain into Portugal thru France with my bride in 1971 on a BSA I picked up in London. Took that bike to NY then drove it cross country to San Francisco in 5 days. That was one ugly ride on that shaker. Turned me into a BMW fan.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:34 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Wow, you have been to Spain before me
BMW's are amongst my favorite touring bikes... in my GSX-R1000 after 1 hour of riding, your hands have already gone completely numb & knees have cramped
Old 07-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Carlos:

"in my GSX-R1000 after 1 hour of riding, your hands have already gone completely numb & knees have cramped"

I have trouble with my neck with the low bars. I need 3" bars, for fairly good weight distribution. Although after three hours the palms of my hands begin to give me trouble.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

A light aerodinamic carbonfiber type helmet (Shoei X-ceed II) helps my neck a lot, no trouble there but then again I never rode for than 2 hours straight without stopping in the gixxer (you would run out of gas soon afterwards too ), but I have in the quad
Old 07-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

carlos have you tried a Stand 21 helmet? i just got one --- incredibly light it feels like the box is empty when you pick it up
Old 07-19-2003, 10:32 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

But thats a racecar helmet, right? does Stand 21 make motorcycle helmets?

I never seen or tried one, but I have heard they were excellent quality and very very light. How much does it weight?

Quick Reply: Got smoked by a CBR Bike last Saturday morning