Sponsored by:

Front suspension creaking and groaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Front suspension creaking and groaning

I have a 2001 C4 MT coupe that has developed an annoying creaking a groaning sound from the front suspension. The noise generally only appears have the car has warmed up and been driven a few miles but is quite noticeable inside and outside the vehicle. The noise is not present during turning but is most obvious during low speed rolling in a parking lot or street driving. When I place my hands directly above the wheel and press I can replicate the noise on either side.

Quick search revealed that some people have had trouble with the sway bar connections loosening over time. I've check all the sway bar bolts and they are torqued to spec.

Unfortunately I can't replicate the noise once I have the car on stands so I can't narrow down the location. I suppose my next step is buying some ramps so I can load the suspension while I'm under it.

Any suggestions other than ramps?

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 10-16-2005, 07:03 PM
rootkid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I had a squeaking issue with my 2001 that I noticed when driving over speedbumps. I took it into the local dealer and according to the service records they tightened the front and rear sway bar links, top and bottom mounts, and the top strut mounts. They also lubricated the top mounts and around the springs. Something in there must have taken care of the noise -- it hasn't reoccurred in over a year.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:02 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The noise is coming from one of the rubber suspension bushings. It's not harmful, just annoying. It often appears after having the shocks and/or springs changed, though it can just appear from normal wear. To fix it, you need to reset the bushing in the housing. You can put a tiny bit of petroleum jelly on it and it'll never squeak again.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:04 PM
path
Instructor

I had the same problem. My mechanic replaced the lower control arms and the noise went away. It then happen on the rears about 3 months later. Same thing, they replaced the lower control arms and the noise disappeared. I have a '00 C4.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

I've tracked the vibration down to the control arms so I'm afraid I may be in the same boat as path. Do you recall the pricing on the parts?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:14 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I've tracked the vibration down to the control arms so I'm afraid I may be in the same boat as path. Do you recall the pricing on the parts?
In your original post you didn't mention any vibration... Is there just noise or vibration too?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

This isn't a vibration you'd feel in the suspension or anything like that. All noise is caused by vibration of some sort. I'm stating that the source of the noise (vibration) is coming from the control arm.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just wanted to ressurect this thread. I think I might be in the same boat as you Shawn.

-- What was the problem? (Control Arms, Bushings?)

-- What was the fix? (Replace parts, clean & spray Wurth?)

-- How much was the dent? (DIY, Mechanic?)
Old 10-16-2006, 02:36 AM
Melchior
Pro

Which rubber suspension bushings do you put the petroleum jelly on to make the squeeking stop?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

I replied via PM before I saw this...the noise went away on its own (I believe due to warm weather). Lubricating the bushing had no effect. The deal said it was a pretty common problem. If the noise comes back with the cold weather I'm just going to replace the control arm. You should be able to talk your dealer down to about $265/arm. Should be a DIY if you're quite handy, but most people would be better off letting the dealer handle it. I believe you'll need to realign the car after your replace it also...

Shawn
Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 PM
discoganya
Banned

Thanks. I'll first try some Wurth. If not start looking into the control arm DIY...
Old 10-16-2006, 03:52 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

FWIW - On my car, Wurth cured the problem for a few days, but with the Silver State coming up I got the dealer to change out the control arm. Two months and 5000 miles since then without any annoying squeaking.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:37 PM
discoganya
Banned

Was this done under warranty? How much was the total bill?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

No, I paid it myself. I don't recall how much, but certainly more then the $265 quoted above - I think maybe $500?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

My number was for the part cost of one arm only...it's also with a good relationship with the dealer although I think Suncoast quoted me the same...

S.

Quick Reply: Front suspension creaking and groaning