996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Clear third brake light

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005 | 12:20 AM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

Default Clear third brake light

Has any swaped out their third brake light for the clear one? I see them for sale but I haven't seen on on a car, does any have pictures of one on their car?
Old 10-15-2005 | 01:49 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

See Here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...rd+brake+light
Old 10-15-2005 | 09:30 AM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

looks great, thanks
Old 10-17-2005 | 03:29 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

I like the idea at first. But since the C4S has the long red reflector, I think it lends itself to having a red brake light above it. Maybe all the other cars with out that red reflector would look cool with a clear brake light.
Old 10-18-2005 | 01:32 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

I did it to my GT3. Looked great, but it burned up in the fire!! I'm gonna do it again.
Old 10-19-2005 | 01:51 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I'm wondering, outside of the 996s with a fixed rear wing (i.e. GT2, GT3, or aftermarket add-on, etc.), wouldn't you also have to replace the 3rd brake light on the spoiler itself with a clear one? Otherwise, the 3rd brake lights would be mismatched when the rear spoiler is deployed.

Just a thought.
Old 10-19-2005 | 03:58 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I did both of mine. I went for the smoked or gray lenses instead of silver. They match the side marker/signal lights and in my opinion look better on a dark car. I am still undecided about the looks of the large red reflector on the bottom of wide body( I think turbos have them?) deck lids? I guess I am getting used to it.
FYI, if you are in a passenger car and following a C4S with the spoiler up I am pretty sure that you cannot see the brake light on the body below the rear window. Also I discovered that only one light works at a time. The red LEDs really "pop" out when activated.
Steve
Old 10-19-2005 | 07:59 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Yes, the 3rd brake light on the body wouldn't be visible with the spoiler deployed to anyone following directly behind the car, but it'd be quite visible to anyone in the rear three-quarter view. That's the angle, along with a parked car with spoiler up (I've seen them, if you can believe), I was referring to. Not that it's a big faux-pas; I'm just pondering it since I'm **** about these things. Since you swapped out both on your car, then no worries!
Old 10-19-2005 | 11:49 PM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

On my car I have Misha's wing on it, so I don't have the retractable wing with the brake light anymore, there is only one 3rd brake light. I did purchase a clear light anyway I will post pictures when I install it, if I don't like it I can always change it back.
Old 10-20-2005 | 01:11 AM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ucube
Yes, the 3rd brake light on the body wouldn't be visible with the spoiler deployed to anyone following directly behind the car, but it'd be quite visible to anyone in the rear three-quarter view. That's the angle, along with a parked car with spoiler up (I've seen them, if you can believe), I was referring to. Not that it's a big faux-pas; I'm just pondering it since I'm **** about these things. Since you swapped out both on your car, then no worries!
Damn....someone more **** then I am. No offense, I am very **** about my car. Purhased the chrome fire extinguisher for the bling factor that no one but me would see. I have the smoked 3rd brake light on the body but am too cheep to buy the second one for the spoiler as I will never see it. Saved the $$$ for other mods.
Old 10-20-2005 | 05:01 AM
toddel68
Instructor

Originally Posted by Big6Dad
Damn....someone more **** then I am. No offense, I am very **** about my car. Purhased the chrome fire extinguisher for the bling factor that no one but me would see. I have the smoked 3rd brake light on the body but am too cheep to buy the second one for the spoiler as I will never see it. Saved the $$$ for other mods.
Maybe I could make a better quality pic showing also the SECOND brake light I've installed.
I drive on the Autobahn a lot so a lot of people see my car from behind. Funny thing is that only after I installed the first light I realized that there's another one in the spoiler. Never had it extended manually before since I only owned the car for a few weeks when I did the exchange.
If you do the mod be sure to get the polarity right otherwise the LEDs won't work. First one worked instantly but for the spoiler light I had to reverse cables.

Thorsten
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2005 | 01:52 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

does anyone have pics of a clear/smoked third brake light with a wing on the back?
Old 10-20-2005 | 07:07 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have a few pics on the site somewhere and let me know if you guys needs more
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=39

We've done all wings now:

Stock C2: Perfect (if you do a second one you need to reverse the polarity)
C4S: Perfect (if you do a second one you need to reverse the polarity)
GT3: Perfect
GT2: Very good fitment but not perfect
TT: The fitment takes some "work" but you also need to reverse the polarity
TT Aerokit: Same as above.

Quick Reply: Clear third brake light