Sponsored by:

OIL level check on display?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default OIL level check on display?

maybe a silly question...does the car check the oil level EVERYTIME you turn the key on? in my book it does not say but says it checks the oil level when you gas up?
thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My car everytime...
Old 10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIKES
maybe a silly question...does the car check the oil level EVERYTIME you turn the key on? in my book it does not say but says it checks the oil level when you gas up?
thanks
with my car, it does check the oil upon start up, when cold (not sure when warm) and after fill up.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:09 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

thanks guys.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

I turn on the key but not all the way to crank it just yet until the process is complete. It gives the computer to do all the checks prior to turning the motor.
I give it at least 5 secs with the key in the ON position before craking it all the way to START. I think this gives the computer a surge free uninterupted check of the system.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 10-03-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the engine isn't warmed up, it may take quite a while before you get a reading on the oil, but it will get there eventually.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:17 AM
c4s Jim
Track Day

Default The "key" to a quick oil check is ...

opening the fuel filler door first!!!

If you turn on the key (but not start the car) whether the car is warm or cold, it'll start the countdown and say it needs something like five minutes to check the oil level. If you open and close the fuel filler door first, then turn the key to on (but not start) - then it'll start a much shorter countdown and take only about 5 seconds to do the oil level check!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Gnome
Racer

I've found that the countdown is based on engine temp and whether the car has been running. I believe it's to allow the oil to drain out of the engine to get the best read. If the engine is cold and hasn't been started, the countdown is short (although you're only supposed to check level on a fully warmed up engine). If the engine was running, the oil has to drain out of the engine, hence a longer countdown. The countdown is cancelled if you start the car before it's finished. The exception is when you gas up, and I think it's assuming that the oil will have drained while you were filling up, so it gives you an instant read with no countdown.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:39 AM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c4s Jim
opening the fuel filler door first!!!

If you turn on the key (but not start the car) whether the car is warm or cold, it'll start the countdown and say it needs something like five minutes to check the oil level. If you open and close the fuel filler door first, then turn the key to on (but not start) - then it'll start a much shorter countdown and take only about 5 seconds to do the oil level check!
aaaah...i thought there might be a link with the filler cap...hence the mention in the manual...i will try that next time..
thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Chrisp3
Instructor

I learn something new from you guy's every day! I have from time to time seen the level indicator on my 99MY but never really understood how it functioned...or when (and couldn't find it in the manual). Now....thanks to all of you...I am starting to understand how it works and can put it to good use. Thanks!

Quick Reply: OIL level check on display?