Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bit of a rant...but with a Carrera wing question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Chronos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dayton996T
Are you sure it was us?
Cheers
Dayton
departstop on Ebay? If so, it was y'all. Sorry, shouldn't have thread-crap here. Just saw the name and remembered this bad transaction (low $ amount, just frustrating as it was a gift).

If not, apologies and I will gladly edit my posts.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:09 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dayton - I got my fingers crossed that you'll get in all the parts needed so that I can install the wing!! Hopefully if you get it today, you can overnite it so that I'll have it on Saturday...its raining this weekend in MA, so it would be a great weekend to put it on!!

Thanks for the update....
Old 10-28-2005, 09:50 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just a quick update on my never ending quest for a wire harness from Departstop - another 3 weeks have passed and still no wire harness. In fact today I was talking to Dayton and I guess he never shipped me the third brake light that is supposed to go into the wing!!! What more can go wrong with this purchase!! He says there are another 10+ folks waiting on the wire harness also (somehow I feel like I'm the only one!)

Dayton says 2 more business days and he'll have harnesses.....
Old 10-29-2005, 12:02 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered mine from Porsche , was here in 2 days, and it was cheap!! it cost like $50.00 USD. Man get your damm wing on! its almost winter!
Old 10-29-2005, 04:42 AM
ca996
Advanced

I've had nothing but a great experience with Dayton as I have purchased quite a bit from him.
Regards, Mississippi
Old 10-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

I replaced my wing with Misha's GT2 wing, I went to my local porsche dealer ordered the harness it was $27 and I received it in two days. Kirby has a DIY on how to bypass the switch.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:57 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the information guys - there is a third brake light in the wing that I actually do not have yet - but I'm not sure if that connector is the same as the oem Porshce third light connector. If it is, Kirby has given me the harness I need...

I think Dayton is trying to send the harness and the physical third brake light together....we'll see what happens next week!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:04 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 431 Likes on 281 Posts

I don't get it. I ordered that same wing from brandywine porsche in pa for $1400. Drove over and picked it up. All the parts(harness, light, bulbs etc) were in the sealed box. Am I missing something? Wasn't all the stuff in the box? Was this used or something? I hope you did not pay the $2750 or so posted on the site. Wow!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:57 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Finally got wing installed!!!

So this week Dayton sent me the third brake light and a harness (though he still hasn't figured it out) but he thought he'd let me see what he's been challenged with.

Not to beat these guys up too much, but they sent the package to an address of mine from 2 years ago (don't even know how they got that address - hasn't been that long since they sent me the wing!) - tracked it down Sat. having to contact the person how purchased by previous place.....and with the help of Kirby's site on how to install a fixed wing I now have it installed.

I'm sure I wasn' the only thing Dayton was working on over the last 3 months, but it just came down to the fact that the Porche factory harness 996-612-070-04 has a different connector for the new third brake light (the wing isn't OEM its a replica). So I just cut the harness off, took apart the third brake light, and soldered the + and - wires directly to the unit. It wasn't rocket science - just needed a volt meter to know which was the + and the -. Then got took some silicone to seal up the wires going into the brake light. Can't believe I waited 3 months for something that could be figured out in about an hour!

Everything works great - the spoiler dash light doesn't come on when driving and the new brake light works! Special thanks to 969 motorsports who helped answer alot of questions even though the wing didn't come from them. Now thats customer service!!!!

Last thing is to get the third brake light "plug" for the body of the car. Anyone know that part # for that and if it comes painted?

As promised, here are the long awaited pics. Like I said before the paint and the wings are pretty nice, but with the customer service and the wait, can't say I'd recommend going thru what I did!

Old 11-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

Looks great
Old 11-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Lizard1
Racer

FYI - i have for sale a MINT condition carrera wing already attached and comes with the decklid with all necessary electronics all wired up(harness & 3rd brake light). it came on the car from the factory painted black. it is in the classifieds or you can email me for details/pics

i took it off after a year and placed the GT3 wing on. since mine comes with the decklid already attached, you can just take off your current decklid and bolt on the new one & voila!!!

i suggest keeping your old decklid so you can retransplant it once you sell your car and recoup the money from this wind/spoiler. it'll practically be free!
Old 11-13-2005, 07:09 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Looks great now that it is done. Now get the side skirts.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:11 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Lizard,
How much for the spoiler? My neighbor has a 911 and might be interested.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Lizard1
Racer

i'm asking $1200 for everything (spoiler, decklid, 3rd brake light, wiring harness)

Quick Reply: Bit of a rant...but with a Carrera wing question!