996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

H&R SPRINGS DROP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 09:30 AM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice garage...what kind of floor covering did you install ?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mbergeron

Thank you.
It's an $60 Epoxy Paint Kit that I got from the local hardware. I'll look at the box when I get home, but it's pretty good. Highly resistant to tire marks and oils. 1 kit is good for 1 car agrage so I bought 2 which was more than enougn for my 16X24 2 car garage. It comes with the chemical to acid clean the concrete and a video on how to do it. It also came with those spreckels that you're suppose to spread, but I like the plain gloss gray "clean" look.

Not as nice as this guy http://www.hooville.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64
Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by mbergeron
Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but thanks.

The brand of the paint is RUST-OLEUM, EPOXY SHIELD, GARAGE FLOOR COATING. Like I said earlier It's a $60 Epoxy Paint Kit that I got from the local hardware. I'll look at the box when I get home, but it's pretty good. Highly resistant to tire marks and oils. 1 kit is good for 1 car agrage so I bought 2 which was more than enougn for my 16X24 2 car garage. It comes with the chemical to acid clean the concrete and a video on how to do it. It also came with those spreckels that you're suppose to spread, but I like the plain gloss gray "clean" look.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 08-30-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:05 AM
peachboy
Racer

Nice garage....what is the covering of your floor, looks very nice but difficult to see what it is from the pictures.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:17 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also did the H&R springs, but in a C4. They dropped it about 1.5" all around. Great mod, improves handling and gives the car a much better stance.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 AM
m5guru
Instructor

Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I also did the H&R springs, but in a C4. They dropped it about 1.5" all around. Great mod, improves handling and gives the car a much better stance.
Aren't shorter springs supposed to be matched with different (I'd assume stiffer) shocks? Otherwise, don't you end up at a different "rest position" of the stock shock which changes the dynamics of the shock?

Sorry about the fuzzy terminology, but I seem to recall a talk at a BMW club event that inferred something like this? I think that the net effect of putting shorter springs on stock shocks is that the car gets "bouncy" (lots of oscillations) after hitting a bump?

David
Old 08-30-2005, 11:42 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Mike, nice garage
Old 08-31-2005, 07:00 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by aben8057
Mike, nice garage
Thanks, but not as nice as this guy..

http://www.hooville.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64
Old 08-31-2005, 05:01 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m5guru
Aren't shorter springs supposed to be matched with different (I'd assume stiffer) shocks? Otherwise, don't you end up at a different "rest position" of the stock shock which changes the dynamics of the shock?

Sorry about the fuzzy terminology, but I seem to recall a talk at a BMW club event that inferred something like this? I think that the net effect of putting shorter springs on stock shocks is that the car gets "bouncy" (lots of oscillations) after hitting a bump?

David
Yes, they should be in order to really take advantage of them. Most people who put in shorter springs also want a sportier ride, in which case I'd recommend getting different shocks. I heard a lot of things about how it would create a bouncy ride and make the car handle weird, but it really didn't do anything but drop the car and make it corner flatter. I know of more than a few other owners that did the same thing with the same results. Before I did it, I couldn't find a single 996 owner that have ever tried just doing the springs, just a lot of people that said it would make the car bouncy and handle wrong. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I decided to see what happens and do the shocks later. The ride was so close to stock that I couldn't tell the difference, and my wife couldn't either.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:24 PM
m5guru
Instructor

Maybe that's because the 996 shocks are relatively stiff for the application they were intended for from the factory.

David

Quick Reply: H&R SPRINGS DROP?