Sponsored by:

CDR23 Problems -- anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 12:00 AM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default CDR23 Problems -- anyone else?

I'm having a problem in my 03 C2 with the CDR23. Every once in a while, the head unit/cd player (prepare for the technical term) go wacko.

Once, the head unit would only say "PORSCHE" (like when you turn it on). If I turned it off, the backlighting would disappear, but the text would remain. Today, the cd changer would play for about 15 seconds, then the radio would reboot ("PORSCHE" again), and then the unit would switch to FM. If I switched it back to CDC, it would play for about 15s again until another reboot.

In both cases, turning the car off/on would *not* solve the problem. I had to either wait 'til the electronics timed out or turn on the alarm (which seems to power down everything) to fix it.

My dealer wants to fix it, but they tell me that I have the 'current' versions of the AMP/head unit/cd changer in the car.

Anyone else having issues like these? And known fix?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2005, 02:38 AM
sqlb
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did. My dealer (Westlake Rusnak ) replaced both the amp and the CDR23 unit about 6 months ago. There was no charge since the serial # on the units were part of a factory replacement program.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:52 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 283 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing and the dealer replaced under warranty. Then I replaced the whole thing anyway
Old 08-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

I've had my head unit replaced once, amp replaced once, and the POS is still wacked. What a shame Becker makes crap like this that can't be fixed with a software upgrade in the car. Forget it...I just turn it off and listen to the PSE.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-26-2005, 04:43 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I had a problem with mine the first day i picked the car up from the dealer..NEW....No problem second say the entire MOST system was taken out, and i now live happy with Pioneer DVD/NAV?MP3 with a changer....Forget those Beckers...Always doing something strange.....
Old 08-27-2005, 02:42 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks all. I'll just get the dealer to swap out the whole thing.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Any news on this?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has done it for years. Dealer replaced both the amp & head unit to no avail.

I noticed that if I turn off the radio before I shut off the car, it does it a lot less than if it just gets shut off with the ignition.

When mine does this, if I go back and forth between FM & CD buttons -- it usually "reboots" -- and is ok.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
Mine has done it for years. Dealer replaced both the amp & head unit to no avail.

I noticed that if I turn off the radio before I shut off the car, it does it a lot less than if it just gets shut off with the ignition.

When mine does this, if I go back and forth between FM & CD buttons -- it usually "reboots" -- and is ok.
That's exactly what I do as well. I cycle through CD and FM. But the thing is, I keep losing my "Tone" settings.

I did find that the issue happens to me if I don't use the car for 2 days.

So you're telling me that they replaced the head unit and amp and it still didn't fix it?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I first got my (Hugh's) car, the stereo stopped working. It would indicate it was on, but no sound. Dealer replaced it under warrantee, but the problem persisted. The six disc changer was found to be the fault and it was replaced also. For the three years I owned the car, zero further problems.

So, for a while I had to listen to music in my house as opposed to listening to it in the garage.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 953 Posts

My head unit was replaced once under warranty. It works fine now, although it does regularly show "Predator" symbols on the screen.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:00 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
When I first got my (Hugh's) car, the stereo stopped working. It would indicate it was on, but no sound. Dealer replaced it under warrantee, but the problem persisted. The six disc changer was found to be the fault and it was replaced also. For the three years I owned the car, zero further problems.

So, for a while I had to listen to music in my house as opposed to listening to it in the garage.
Bawhahahaha!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:31 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine did something really strange one day while driving to the beach. We just had it playing a CD at relatively low volume and all of a sudden it starts beeping REALLY loud and shuts itself off. I thought maybe it was set to explode next.

But after a couple of seconds some weird symbols came up on the display and it rebooted itself. It was fine after that but that beeping countdown scared the $hit out of us!

Quick Reply: CDR23 Problems -- anyone else?