996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Shift Light thoughts/recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 08:44 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the engine cut off when you redline? I thought it makes a buzz as well. If so, a light doesn't do much purpose. It's very nicey IMO.

What you need most likely is some practice that keeps you in the right gear when you're tracking. A light won't help you there. Try driving w window down to hear engine more or better yet, get a louder exhaust!

Just my 2 cents since you are seeking advice.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You ever driven a formula 1? Can't hear a thing during a race. Also, I am not saying that the light or other signal is not helpful, however, you should first learn to shift at the points the engine wants you to before using a light. You have to find those points before you can even determine at what rpm's you want the light to signal a shift. I know alot of dragsters that use them, but I never found it necessary. They were used more in the old cars because there was no rev limiter and it help you keep from over reving.
Mike,

FWIW, I agree with 1999Porsche911. Of course you can and should do what you want, but I think you will be wasting your money merely to give yourself another unnecessary crutch.
Just my two cents,
TD
Thanks guys. I appreciate the insights. Thats what I'm looking for in posting this. I do want to point out though 1999Porsche911 that I know where the shift points are, where the HP and Torque starts to drop. I have the charts for my MY. Thats is exactly why I'm looking at these lights. FWIW I consider myself too be a good shifter. I grew up with nothing but standard shifters and been driving them for 24years now.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:50 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
Does the engine cut off when you redline? I thought it makes a buzz as well. If so, a light doesn't do much purpose. It's very nicey IMO.

What you need most likely is some practice that keeps you in the right gear when you're tracking. A light won't help you there. Try driving w window down to hear engine more or better yet, get a louder exhaust!

Yes, the gas cuts off when you hit redline. It does not buzz. On the track (and on the street actually), you just know when you are close. The only time I get very close to redline and sometimes bounce off the limiter is coming out of the esses at Watkins Glen. I am always a little hesitant to shift while tracking out of the last curve at such a high rate of speed. As such, I try to feather right when I am about to hit the limiter (I sometimes hit it) and then shift as soon as the gs reduce to the point that I am not worried anymore.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Yes, the gas cuts off when you hit redline. It does not buzz. On the track (and on the street actually), you just know when you are close. The only time I get very close to redline and sometimes bounce off the limiter is coming out of the esses at Watkins Glen. I am always a little hesitant to shift while tracking out of the last curve at such a high rate of speed. As such, I try to feather right when I am about to hit the limiter (I sometimes hit it) and then shift as soon as the gs reduce to the point that I am not worried anymore.
Lutzo, The master mechanic for Race Prep Motors whom cars you see racing at Grand Am, says they use the red line sometimes taking corners.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by djantlive
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:07 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Thanks guys. I appreciate the insights. Thats what I'm looking for in posting this. I do want to point out though 1999Porsche911 that I know where the shift points are, where the HP and Torque starts to drop. I have the charts for my MY. Thats is exactly why I'm looking at these lights. FWIW I consider myself too be a good shifter. I grew up with nothing but standard shifters and been driving them for 24years now.
Mike: I hope you didn't take what I said as you not knowing what your doing...as it was not my intent. Yourshift points will change depending on track conditions, air temps, etc, so unless you can accurately dial in the correct point the light will come on each visit to the track, you're stuck listening to the engine.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Mike: I hope you didn't take what I said as you not knowing what your doing...as it was not my intent. Yourshift points will change depending on track conditions, air temps, etc, so unless you can accurately dial in the correct point the light will come on each visit to the track, you're stuck listening to the engine.
Oh no, not at all. This is the beauty of this forum. Discussion to bring up the best points.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna weigh in on the 1999Porsche911, TD, et al, side of this debate. I agree that one should learn to "feel" the car and what is happening rather than "reading" it from a tach or light. I think you should know your car well enough to know if an upshift or downshift is desirable rather than having to read an instrument to find out.

Also, engine load is as important in determining shift points as rpm. How will a rpm-signaled light analyze engine load in telling you when to shift? For example, going uphill, one might hold a gear until redline due to the increased load; short shifting on a downhill section of lesser load may be advantageous to greater speed. Making these decisions and others, and implementing them, is the essence of driving, IMHO.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:31 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
I looked at those too Paul. I'm leaning on this SL-P1 so I don't to drill holes on the dash..jsut velcro.

OT to Paul:
By the way, I was there in Brampton last Friday. Arrived Thursday afternoon and took off Saturday morning. I wasn't able to bring the puurrrrsha 'cause of the short notice. Before Brampton, I was at my brothers place in Kincardine. What a gorgeous place/town!! Sun sets over lake huron.. coble stone side walk downtown!! The water was warm too.. I fell in love in that relaxing place!! I ws kicking myself for not taking the car on the tariler.. maybe next time. I will surely hookup with you boys there up north for some Fri/Sat fun drives to those hang outs you're talking about.
Mike anytime, and as long as I live there you always have a place to stay, Garage could be a little tight , but they WILL go in...!!It's too bad you werent in B-Town longer!!
Old 08-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lee and all,

I have the Pivot Super Shift Lamp M and X in my two cars and I can't complain, totally reversible installation since rpm signal is picked up from the cigarette ligter socket.

Check out: www.the-pivot.co.jp/index2-e.html

Ciao,

Johannes E.

GT3 CS
Old 08-25-2005, 05:06 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I want to purchase this, I can't seem to find someone that has it, any one if one of our sponsors sell it?? Its cheap enough that i am willing to try it..
Thanks in advance
Paul
Old 08-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by kilrgt
Ok I want to purchase this, I can't seem to find someone that has it, any one if one of our sponsors sell it?? Its cheap enough that i am willing to try it..
Thanks in advance
Paul
Paul, Are you talking about the Sparco above in my post? Not affiliated, but they are available at www.ogracing.com here in VA for the price posted above. they said shipping maybe around 8 to 10 dollars. I'm about to pull the trigger.

I posted this same thread in the Racing & Driver's Ed Forum and they posted a lot of different shift lights if you're still deciding which model. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...58#post2397158
But it looks like that the sparco above has the best quality. Next one I'm looking at is the data tool rev light.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Lee and all,

I have the Pivot Super Shift Lamp M and X in my two cars and I can't complain, totally reversible installation since rpm signal is picked up from the cigarette ligter socket.

Check out: www.the-pivot.co.jp/index2-e.html

Ciao,

Johannes E.

GT3 CS
Johannes, Thanks. Is it pretty accurate compared to the cars tach being connected just from the lighter?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:49 PM
darkvoltage
Intermediate

Could just get a tiptronic..
Old 08-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Mike,

It's accuracy doesn't matter since you set the shift point. Rev the engine to desired rpm to where you want the ligt to come on, push the set button and you are done. It saves the shift point in it's memory even after unplugging it.

Pivot's products are super for trackday junkies and DE events.

Ciao,

Johannes E.

GT3 CS

Quick Reply: Shift Light thoughts/recommendations??