Sponsored by:

Shift Light thoughts/recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Shift Light thoughts/recommendations??

I've been pondering on getting a shift light cause I always find myself trying to glance at the tach to shift at the right RPM and trying to prevent hitting the red line. I was looking at the G-tech at first but its more than what I need and its too fancy.

recommendations...thoughts?? thanks

Anyone has experience with this Sparco SL-P1 or S1??

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 08-24-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:38 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When you become famiiar with the engine and tranny sounds, you won't need to watch the tach. The is no problem see the tach anyway, so a light would be reduntant.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
When you become famiiar with the engine and tranny sounds, you won't need to watch the tach. The is no problem see the tach anyway, so a light would be reduntant.
Thanks, but I've been on a couple of DEs, and thinkng of the apex, heel to toe, passing, and looking at the tach to see if I have enough torque left to push the gear is sometime overwhelming for me. A shift light for me will definitely help. In short, by the time I glance at the tach and refocus on the road, I could have utilized that split second to make the right timing to shift. Also for me, by the time I become familiar with the tranny sound .. it would be worn out befor I get the hang of it.. the light will surely help on the longetivity of the gear box. I'd like to set the light to take more advantage or torque/power bandwith.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

So what do you do for the light on different gears, since your power range will vary gear to gear? Feel the car. It is quite easy especially at higher RPM's to know where your power starts to peak and fall. Why distract yourself with anotherlight while going through a curve with another car close to you? JMO.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya know , its not a bad idea, I know i have sometimes wished i had one, I might look into an stand alone autometer solution..
Old 08-24-2005, 05:06 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like a shift light very much. I don't get much of a chance to drive my car hard, and when I do I forget how fast you get to the limiter.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Get a Pivot the only way to go!
Old 08-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by leedav
I'd like a shift light very much. I don't get much of a chance to drive my car hard, and when I do I forget how fast you get to the limiter.
Exactly!! That 2nd gear runs out pretty fast.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

By the way guys, a tech here said that on my car, the no. 7 pin(green wire I think) on the OBD II receptacle is a tach wire. That plus a 12V and a common ground is all you need to run it.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by kilrgt
Ya know , its not a bad idea, I know i have sometimes wished i had one, I might look into an stand alone autometer solution..
I looked at those too Paul. I'm leaning on this SL-P1 so I don't to drill holes on the dash..jsut velcro.

OT to Paul:
By the way, I was there in Brampton last Friday. Arrived Thursday afternoon and took off Saturday morning. I wasn't able to bring the puurrrrsha 'cause of the short notice. Before Brampton, I was at my brothers place in Kincardine. What a gorgeous place/town!! Sun sets over lake huron.. coble stone side walk downtown!! The water was warm too.. I fell in love in that relaxing place!! I ws kicking myself for not taking the car on the tariler.. maybe next time. I will surely hookup with you boys there up north for some Fri/Sat fun drives to those hang outs you're talking about.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:47 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

How is it that the pivot requires no wiring except power? Is there enough ignition noise on the power lines to measure?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:01 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

You guys should forget the computer controls and pay attention to your car. It is really not that difficult to "feel" where to shift in each gear, including downshifting. Driving is all about getting to know your car. Forget the traction control, ABS and the like and drive the car - don't let it drive you. Otherwise, you might as well get someone to drive for you.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You guys should forget the computer controls and pay attention to your car. It is really not that difficult to "feel" where to shift in each gear, including downshifting. Driving is all about getting to know your car. Forget the traction control, ABS and the like and drive the car - don't let it drive you. Otherwise, you might as well get someone to drive for you.
Point taken. But why do you think even the most advance drivers, like the F1s(Schumachers/Montoya) have the shift lights right on their steering wheels??
Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Point taken. But why do you think even the most advance drivers, like the F1s(Schumachers/Montoya) have the shift lights right on their steering wheels??

You ever driven a formula 1? Can't hear a thing during a race. Also, I am not saying that the light or other signal is not helpful, however, you should first learn to shift at the points the engine wants you to before using a light. You have to find those points before you can even determine at what rpm's you want the light to signal a shift. I know alot of dragsters that use them, but I never found it necessary. They were used more in the old cars because there was no rev limiter and it help you keep from over reving.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:40 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

FWIW, I agree with 1999Porsche911. Of course you can and should do what you want, but I think you will be wasting your money merely to give yourself another unnecessary crutch.

Just my two cents,

TD

Quick Reply: Shift Light thoughts/recommendations??