Sponsored by:

OT: for a good cause - Lance Armstong Foundation

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005 | 03:40 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default OT: for a good cause - Lance Armstong Foundation

since i spend most of my rennlist time here i decided to post. sorry in advance if this in inappropriate.

hey rennlisters,

i have been doing the Lance Armstrong Foundation - Ride for the Roses 100 mile charity ride for the last 2 years and will be doing it again this coming october 23rd.

If you don't know of Lance Armstrong, he is a professional bike racer who contracted testicular cancer which spread to his brain and lungs. he beat the odds and defeated cancer through determination and cancer treatment. he beat it and then dominated the professional bike race scene by winning the Tour de France, arguably the most grueling 3 week race in the world, for a world record breaking 7 straight times (the previous record was 5)!

Your donation to the Peloton Project will help the LAF support people affected by cancer through advocacy, education, public health and research. Every dollar makes a difference in helping countless cancer survivors around the world.

Please go to this LINK and click on "DONATE" to make your tax deductible contribution on my behalf to the Lance Armstrong Foundation's Peloton Project.

I sincerely thank you for your support,
Carlos

thx,
carlos
Old 08-22-2005 | 03:57 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Hey Carlos, do you know a John Phua? I used to work with him and he knows Lance.
Old 08-22-2005 | 04:02 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
Hey Carlos, do you know a John Phua? I used to work with him and he knows Lance.

hey kirb,

i may have met him at one of the drives or something. is john doing the ride? maybe we can hook up in austin.
Old 08-22-2005 | 04:07 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

It's not Mooty, it's another John. he's not on the boards.
Old 08-22-2005 | 05:07 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carlos,
It's very cool you're doing this. Good luck and have a great ride.
Jim
Old 08-22-2005 | 05:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Great job Carlos! I (and my family) donate HEAVILY to the LAF and have a link on my website (in addition to the Jimmy V foundation). I just buried my father this past week after he lost his battle to this horrible disease. Very admirable what you are doing.
Old 08-22-2005 | 06:07 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimB
Carlos,
It's very cool you're doing this. Good luck and have a great ride.
Jim

hey jim,

wow thx soooo much for your generous donation. i'll send you a link to pictures from the Tour de France.

btw, i am loving the motons! thx again for the deal!
Old 08-22-2005 | 06:31 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Great job Carlos! I (and my family) donate HEAVILY to the LAF and have a link on my website (in addition to the Jimmy V foundation). I just buried my father this past week after he lost his battle to this horrible disease. Very admirable what you are doing.

thx dell.

i am so sorry for your loss. my condolences.

i do as much as i can though i always wish i could do more.
Old 08-22-2005 | 06:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the kind words. Keep up the great work! Our family would buy LAF bracelets by the 100s from the website and pass them out at cancer centers in the area hospitals. Such the horrible disease but one we can win the fight with continued support and donation.

And trust me, you wish you could do more but you are doing ALOT. Most people don't step up and support worthy causes. remember the 80/20 rule?
Old 08-22-2005 | 07:10 PM
redcab
Racer

Both Lance & his Foundation walk the talk. They do amazing things for the cancer striken and for survivors. We've made significant (at least for us) donations since 2000.

Kirb - I've met John Phua at LAF events and on the bike, and he is a great walking example of the power of Lance's life work. Nice guy.
Old 08-22-2005 | 07:21 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
It's not Mooty, it's another John. he's not on the boards.
well then hook us up! if he is doing the ride then i'd like to meet him
Old 08-23-2005 | 12:01 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dell,
Sorry to hear about your Dad. I'm in the same spot but with a couple of months to go. Tough stuff.

Carlos,
Again, thanks for taking up the cause and have a great ride.

I'd love to see you TDF pics. What stages did you see?

Glad the Motons are working out. They are amazing dampers. I wish all the folks that love their M030, X74 or PSS9s could try a set. It's an amazing difference. It sounded like you are working with a good shop but feel free to contact me if you have any questions on set up.
Jim
Old 08-23-2005 | 12:27 PM
toddel68
Instructor

Don't mean to spoil your fun guys, but I just read that his frozen '99 urine samples have been tested again with state of the art equipment and that they tested positive for EPO. This is according to an article of today in the french newspaper "L'Equipe". So Armstrongs success story might not be so big after all...
Just to make myself clear: I'm not french and I'm not going to have a freedom-fries- or innocent-until-proven-guilty-discussion with you guys. So don't even try to start one.
Regards,
Thorsten
Old 08-23-2005 | 01:20 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

First, I am French which is not a fact that I admit frequently. (except when trying to pick up women)

Second, this is just another round of the same old BS Armstrong has been dealing with for years. This time, some doctor doing unrelated research just happened to link an anonymous sample from a backup urine test taken 6 years ago with Armstrong. Nice.

Third, I don't care if he's bionic, his accomplishments following the level of cancer he had are amazing.

And, most important, Armstrong's contributions off his bike far outweigh his accomplishments on his bike. He has done to benefit the world than all the Bono's, Geldhoffs and other pro-athletes combined.

So.....that's where I stand on that one.
Jim
Old 08-23-2005 | 06:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Just got done reading up on that and they CANNOT confirm whom the sample belongs to. Just another attempt by the French tabloids to smear the good name of one of the greatest athletes of all time. They are grasping at straws.

And as Jim said, his GREATEST accomplishment is off the bike rather than on. Not sure why the French hate him so much. Maybe b/c he is American? Who knows, who cares!

Quick Reply: OT: for a good cause - Lance Armstong Foundation