Sponsored by:

First repair on my 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:48 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First repair on my 996

I just received "the call". My expansion tank plus coolant will cost me $800 which is not covered under my 2yr 100k mile porsche warranty.

They also claim there is a leak at the coolant pump or something like that which is covered. So basically they are screwing me and the porsche warranty.

Is $800 the going rate for the coolant expansion tank?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:21 AM
VikDiddy
Advanced

I recommend getting quotes from other dealers in your area. I have done this for maintenance and saved lots of money.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:24 AM
AlexL.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is this not included in the Porsche Warranty? I suppose you bought this car used as a Porsche Certified car? If they dont include this as part of warranty work then what is?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:07 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I called one other and was quoted $760. He stated it's 4 hours labor.

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
I recommend getting quotes from other dealers in your area. I have done this for maintenance and saved lots of money.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:10 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Yep, I purchased it used as a Porsche Certified car. I did a search and most others aren't having better luck. Some seem to get Goodwill but the post is dated back to 2003 so they may have just come out of their standard warranty.

Originally Posted by AlexL.
Why is this not included in the Porsche Warranty? I suppose you bought this car used as a Porsche Certified car? If they dont include this as part of warranty work then what is?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

I don't know how prices in the SF Bay Area compare to DC but I paid $600 for the coolant tank repair.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:27 PM
AlexL.
Instructor

So you're saying that Porsche does not honor the warranty on Certified Cars on certain items? That would be a HUGE deal to me if that is the case because I am considering a certified car but of course it is MUCH more expensive than others I have seen. I am willing to pay a bit more for the peace of mind knowing that if I need to replace my coolant tank for instance it would be done so at no cost to me......

Have others had these issues with certified cars. If so, this changes EVERYTHING.......
Old 08-22-2005, 01:36 PM
jb26jb
Racer

I looked the coolant tank is not covered in the warranty. I'd have an independent do it or do it yourself. There are some instructions on renntech
Old 08-22-2005, 01:49 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

So you're saying that Porsche does not honor the warranty on Certified Cars on certain items? That would be a HUGE deal to me if that is the case because I am considering a certified car but of course it is MUCH more expensive than others I have seen. I am willing to pay a bit more for the peace of mind knowing that if I need to replace my coolant tank for instance it would be done so at no cost to me......

Have others had these issues with certified cars. If so, this changes EVERYTHING.......

whole reason why i buy private party with full porsche service history and get a PPI done

the thousands of dollars i save in the purchase price can be used on a repair IF the need arises
Old 08-22-2005, 01:50 PM
AlexL.
Instructor

That seems very odd to me. What is covered in the warranty then? I was always under the impression with all my previous cars that if anything went wrong other than wear items(tires, blades, etc) that it would be covered. I'm confused how a coolant tank is not inclusive of that......
Old 08-22-2005, 01:57 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My 996 is a CPO and the coolant tank went as well on mine. The service guy agreed to cover labor and I covered the cost of parts (roughly $400 retail). You can get the tank for low 200 from dealers that sell below retail and DIY the install. I paid the $400 to keep up the good relationship with my service guy though. FYI...only the major stuff is covered under the CPO warranty. It's all the nickel and dime stuff you are responsible for.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:44 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Yes that's what I'm saying.. It is not a bumper to bumper warranty.

Old 08-22-2005, 04:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

CPO is not a bumper to bumper.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:32 PM
lexpilot
Racer

In Bend our club keeps an independent shop busy maintaining or rebuilding our Porsches.
The coolant tank failed on my car last August at about 38,000 miles.
As posted previously he charged me for 3 quarts of Porsche coolant 00004330078 at $6.97 each. He charged me $184.78 for the coolant reservoir and $120 for the labor to replace the leaking reservoir, fill and bleed. I post this for your reference.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

When i bought my 2001 C4 from a private party, i got a Porsche PPI.
As it only had 5000 miles on it they said they could extend the warranty for me.
There were LOTS of classes (bronze thru gold plus i think)
This was power train only for the basic, or most things except electric motors (?), thru the works bumper to bumper.
Perhaps you got the cheap version ??

Quick Reply: First repair on my 996