996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

when do you need new rotors...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 02:17 AM
eternal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you take your car for service TD?

Originally Posted by TD in DC
What an absolute load of crap! I am very thankful that my service techs are track junkies and honest.

You do NOT want to replace pads and rotors at the same time. If you have your sensors still in your pads, you don't need to replace them until your warning light comes on. I removed my sensors (actually, just zip tied them out of the way), so I inspect mine visually every weekend. You need to replace your pads whenever the pad thickness is equal to or less than the thickness of the backing plate. Easy to check without even removing the wheel. The only thing that should be shaking violently is the tech's neck after he tries to tell you that you must replace your rotors when you replace your pads or vice versa.

As 1999Porsche911 pointed out, the ridge is not a problem per se. The thickness of the narrowest portion of the rotor is what counts. Also, "grooves" on the rotor are not a problem either. Mine are well grooved but my brakes are outstanding.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:00 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take the 996 to Porsche of Arlington for all service except for suspension and alignment work, which I have done at Autobahn in Fairfax. I used to take my former 986S to HBL of Tysons where I bought it. I take my 944 to RPM in Newington. We are lucky around the DC area because there are many good shops.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:56 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how some of you guys are driving to get your pads to last to 45K or 50K miles , but mine were shot at just under 30K and I didn't track the car (996 C4). I just swapped out the pads, visually inspected the rotors, and was on my way. No problems at all!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Just had mine replaced all round (Discs (as we call them) and pads). - Cost £ 1100.00 at Porsche dealer.

I'm staggered by the increase in braking performance now. Much more even and much less pedal travel.

My discs were absoluetly knackered and worn down below the minimum thickness at 29,000 miles. However this is partly the fault of the supplying dealer who at one year old scimmed the discs to remove corrosion.

Adrian
Old 08-18-2005, 12:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
What an absolute load of crap! I am very thankful that my service techs are track junkies and honest.

You do NOT want to replace pads and rotors at the same time. If you have your sensors still in your pads, you don't need to replace them until your warning light comes on. I removed my sensors (actually, just zip tied them out of the way), so I inspect mine visually every weekend. You need to replace your pads whenever the pad thickness is equal to or less than the thickness of the backing plate. Easy to check without even removing the wheel. The only thing that should be shaking violently is the tech's neck after he tries to tell you that you must replace your rotors when you replace your pads or vice versa.

As 1999Porsche911 pointed out, the ridge is not a problem per se. The thickness of the narrowest portion of the rotor is what counts. Also, "grooves" on the rotor are not a problem either. Mine are well grooved but my brakes are outstanding.
LOL. i agree with you, but the BMW dealers near you wouldn't think of replacing pads without also changing the rotors. It's a text book case of upselling.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:26 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
LOL. i agree with you, but the BMW dealers near you wouldn't think of replacing pads without also changing the rotors. It's a text book case of upselling.
True most dealers are interested in upselling these days since cars tosay require less maintanence. However I disagree with TD remarks. Yes rotars and pads that are new may take a little longer to break in, but its not that much longer. I feel you are giving bad info, the fact is that if the rotars need to be replaced then do the pads too, because an uneven pad can cuase pressure points only on certain spot of the rotor thus wearing them uneven. In general a rotor that needs to be replaced has grooves in them and may even be warped so the pad will have defects that I would not want to scrape them on a new rotor.
In general you can break in most pads with 100 miles of normal daily driving, unless your daily trip is 100 miles of pure highway.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:35 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by jetskied
True most dealers are interested in upselling these days since cars tosay require less maintanence. However I disagree with TD remarks. Yes rotars and pads that are new may take a little longer to break in, but its not that much longer. I feel you are giving bad info, the fact is that if the rotars need to be replaced then do the pads too, because an uneven pad can cuase pressure points only on certain spot of the rotor thus wearing them uneven. In general a rotor that needs to be replaced has grooves in them and may even be warped so the pad will have defects that I would not want to scrape them on a new rotor.
In general you can break in most pads with 100 miles of normal daily driving, unless your daily trip is 100 miles of pure highway.
If someone has let their rotors AND pads both wear to the point that they cannot break-in a set of pads (which takes only a couple of hours (or even less) as a search on this forum will explain) before replacing the rotors, then they really need to learn about preventative maintenance or let their dealers have it for letting their machinery get into such bad shape. I am not giving bad info. I am not saying that you should not replace both. I am saying that it is far better to replace one then the other, and both can replaced in the same day. I completely disagree with your comment about the grooves in the rotor will cause the pads to develop "defects." Pad will conform to the rotor. Just as they conformed to the grooves, they will reconform to the new rotor. The pads are not so stiff that they will carve grooves into the new rotors. I think you may have misunderstood what I am advising, or perhaps we just disagree.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Well you can tell this is not the OT forum. I commend both jetskied and TD. They disagreed but there was no flaming nor name calling.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:43 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Big6Dad
Well you can tell this is not the OT forum. I commend both jetskied and TD. They disagreed but there was no flaming nor name calling.
No need for namecalling! We all share the same passion and all have the same goal: to help each other learn a little more about our P-cars!

Besides, I would hope that Jetskied would want to buy me a beer (or a wine) if I ever make it to his neck of the woods, even if he does think my info on rotors is bad (even though it's not ).
Old 08-19-2005, 07:47 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Big6Dad
I chalk that up to maturity. Although I'm certain that there are some posters on this Board that are in their teens, my guess is that most are much older and hence you won't find as much flaming here as you find on other Boards.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:29 AM
munro86
Racer

When I was reading it, i thought, oh no TD is not going to take this well.Well done TD, i was sure a rip n' tear was comin'
Old 08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice job Todd! Once again, great explanation.

Quick Reply: when do you need new rotors...?