996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

when do you need new rotors...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 01:16 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The lip at the edge is normal and is a result of disc wear where the pads touch. And, yes, most dealers will try to sell you all sorts of services when they are not necessary. Like RMS replacement when there is no oil leak from the seal??????? Always verify any problems a dealer says exists.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:32 AM
PorschePRH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c70Pete
one of the tech guys (Porsche) told me if I didn't replace my rotors and just did pads... the steering wheel would shake violently... sell tactic?
yep. that's the sort of tactic that forces you to no longer trust that person.

i just did all pad replacement, and i can tell you there is absolutely no shake whatsoever.

and there never has been when i do pad only replacement on many of my cars. i change a lot of pads because i always replace with low dust pads like EBC, ceramics, or in the 911 case, Mintex.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how do the mintex compare to OEM... are they as grippy? I don't mind the dust... I don't want brake squeal and at least OEM performance; are they cheaper than OEM pads?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:09 AM
TurboMark
Pro

Where to you buy the tool to measure the caliper thickness? Thx
Old 08-17-2005, 11:14 AM
PorschePRH
Instructor

Mintex seem to have the same brake feel as stock. I don't know how much OEM's cost, but for all 4 wheels, Mintex was less than $100. There's no brake squeal. I wouldn't go for that either.

Calipers can be bought at any fine tool parts store. You can easily search the web for companies that will ship them to you.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:49 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c70Pete
Hey TD... thx for the info... I will inspect them tomorrow... I don't remember seeing any cracks as you describe them... the only thing is (and this may be normal) if you slide your finger from the center of the rotor to the top... there is a bit of a lip right at the edge of the rotor...

one of the tech guys (Porsche) told me if I didn't replace my rotors and just did pads... the steering wheel would shake violently... sell tactic?

it's funny... about 6,000 miles ago when I had the car in for an oil change the dealer wanted to replace pads.... you know the standard "lets' replace everything"... but they never commented on the rotors... now at 44K miles the rotors must be replaced... hmmm just 6K ago it wasn't an issue... I don't know...
What an absolute load of crap! I am very thankful that my service techs are track junkies and honest.

You do NOT want to replace pads and rotors at the same time. If you have your sensors still in your pads, you don't need to replace them until your warning light comes on. I removed my sensors (actually, just zip tied them out of the way), so I inspect mine visually every weekend. You need to replace your pads whenever the pad thickness is equal to or less than the thickness of the backing plate. Easy to check without even removing the wheel. The only thing that should be shaking violently is the tech's neck after he tries to tell you that you must replace your rotors when you replace your pads or vice versa.

As 1999Porsche911 pointed out, the ridge is not a problem per se. The thickness of the narrowest portion of the rotor is what counts. Also, "grooves" on the rotor are not a problem either. Mine are well grooved but my brakes are outstanding.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:51 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by CarreraMark
Where to you buy the tool to measure the caliper thickness? Thx
You can spend $$$$$$$$$ by buying a nice one from snap on tools, or you can do what I did and buy one from Home Depot. Just make sure you get one with a metric measurement scale because the tech specs from Porsche are, of course, in metric. Also, when measuring your rotor thickness, be careful not to bend your dust shield ( or accidentally include it in your measurement). If you do, you might cause it to scrape on the rotor when you are driving. Ask me how I know . . .
Old 08-17-2005, 03:24 PM
TurboMark
Pro

Thx TD.

What is the measurement point / metric for when they are too thin?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:09 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The minimum thickness for the fronts is 1.025 inches and the rears are .875 inches. Use a caliper to measure accurately.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:25 PM
TurboMark
Pro

Much appreciated. Also, my caliper is in inches so this REALLY helps! Thx!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:57 AM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

TD - why do you say to never replace the rotors and pads at the same time? This is what the dealer normally does for service.

I have a new set of rotors and pads I am getting ready to install and wonder if I should do the rotors first now and then the pads later per your advice?

thx John
Old 08-18-2005, 01:01 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by jj99c2
TD - why do you say to never replace the rotors and pads at the same time? This is what the dealer normally does for service.

I have a new set of rotors and pads I am getting ready to install and wonder if I should do the rotors first now and then the pads later per your advice?

thx John
No, it should NOT be what the dealer normally does unless they are trying to upsell. If you install rotor and pads at the same time, it becomes harder for BOTH to break-in. Think pad glazing and perhaps smear (ask Jeeva what that is like). It is far better to install new pads, get them broken-in on the old rotors, which should not take very long, and then install your new rotors.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:02 AM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks TD -- so I need to do it the opposite of what I was planning. New pads first and then rotors.

thx John
Old 08-18-2005, 01:14 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by jj99c2
Thanks TD -- so I need to do it the opposite of what I was planning. New pads first and then rotors.

thx John
No problem. Keep in mind that if your old pads still have plenty of life, you can install your rotors first, break them in until your old pads really need to be replaced, and then put in your new pads. I think it probably takes just a little longer to break-in your rotors, so if it were close, I personally would change the pads first, then the rotors.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:20 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
The minimum thickness for the fronts is 1.025 inches and the rears are .875 inches. Use a caliper to measure accurately.
D'oh! Thanks for pointing out the obvious fact that you can convert. Sadly, I bought a metric caliper without even thinking of converting. Nothing like a brain fart that lingers a little too long

Quick Reply: when do you need new rotors...?