Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to remove the as$hole magnet in rear bumper !

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:26 PM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove the as$hole magnet in rear bumper !

I'm woundering what it is about a P-Car that make people in mini-van or older beater ( basically anyone with less than stellar braking power) following you right up in the ****.

Worse than that, I always move over to the middle when someone is riding my rear bumper only to see them slow right down when they have the open road to themselves...what's the scoop with that
Old 08-10-2005, 03:44 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been tapped twice, good thing for bumperettes.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:16 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

In LA, the as*hole magnet is apparently a standard dealer-installed item on every car, Porsche or not.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Gnome
Racer

Particularly annoying in heavy traffic, since our cars stop so much better. I end up leaving extra braking room in front of me. Otherwise, I could stop in time, but they would plow right into me. Of course, since there's extra room in front, now someone else cuts in front of me too!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:10 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

mbergeron,
Reading your profile, I must ask....... what's a KTM EXC 300???
Old 08-11-2005, 09:40 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I guess we need to petition PCNA for a "rear magnet delete" option.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:07 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe it or not, I occassionally have luck with turning on the rear fog light. The one side on, one side off confuses many americans, which tends to make them pay more attention to you, which ususally means that they will give you a little extra space. Obviously this works better in lower lighting conditions.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:53 AM
peachboy
Racer

LiveNupe : It's a two stroke Enduro (like a motocross with a small headlight fro trail riding or enduro racing...which itself is like car rallying on dirt trails). Does about 70 MPH top speed which is darn fast unless you're on a paved road. Has toons of power given its 220 lbs. If you're not carefull with the trottle the front wheel goes up on you. The best part is that it gives you a huge trill and if you crash and totaled the bike it only set you back 6k...lot's cheaper than to total a P-Car.

TD in DC : Here is a little dirty trick I used last week and it did save me form an accident...traffic is very tight in the left lane doing 125 Km/H (70 MPH ??) I see the red light poping in front of me and I see car swaying into the left shoulder to avoid crashing into cars in front of them. I hit the brakes hard like everybody and keep going back and looking in the rear mirror and in front of me. As you said given the awesome breaking power a gap form in front of me at the same time that I see the car behind me fishtail and skidding while locking its brakes - guess he had no ABS. When I though that he might hit me I realeased my brakes and ended up closing the gap in front of me while avoiding the hit from behind.

I'll humbly call myself more lucky than talented on this one...somehow it worked.

Do you think that was dirty or is it self preservation ? I'd like to point out that the gap I created in front was not that big (1 car lenght maybe) and that the guy behind me would have jammed his brakes anyway.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:56 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mbergeron
TD in DC : Here is a little dirty trick I used last week and it did save me form an accident...traffic is very tight in the left lane doing 125 Km/H (70 MPH ??) I see the red light poping in front of me and I see car swaying into the left shoulder to avoid crashing into cars in front of them. I hit the brakes hard like everybody and keep going back and looking in the rear mirror and in front of me. As you said given the awesome breaking power a gap form in front of me at the same time that I see the car behind me fishtail and skidding while locking its brakes - guess he had no ABS. When I though that he might hit me I realeased my brakes and ended up closing the gap in front of me while avoiding the hit from behind.
I have been forced to do similar things before. However, the best thing to do in those circumstances is to put on your hazzards. You would be amazed at how well that gets the attention of other drivers. I picked up that habit while living in Germany and I never lost it. I use it whenever I see traffic coming to a stop, or slowing significantly on a highway. I then check my mirrors to see if I can make eye contact with the driver behind me. I have had real good luck with this so far.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Believe it or not, I occassionally have luck with turning on the rear fog light. The one side on, one side off confuses many americans, which tends to make them pay more attention to you, which ususally means that they will give you a little extra space. Obviously this works better in lower lighting conditions.
I don't like to use mine as I fear the local constabulary might mistake it for a burnt out brake light, and pull me over to "inform" me.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:06 AM
peachboy
Racer

...I do put my hazards and did it one that occasion...you're absolutely right, it's amazing how many drivers are either absent minded or not very good at judging speed/distance of the cars in front them.
What I find even more amazing is that I've only seen one other car use the hazard in emergency braking.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

It becomes natural instinct (pretty quickly) to "force" the cars behind you to provide more brakeing distance in hard braking conditions. You learn pretty early that a 911 will stop on a dime, and teach your sight to multi-task to the rear mirror in any braking conditions.....this is probably a common trait in folks who drive small cars....not just p-cars...

I must see several rear-ender accidents per week....not many involve big cars anymore....maybe because it is the young, inexperienced people who get in them, and they are driving what they can afford......Then there are the a-holes who just have to get where ever the hell they are going, two car lengths before anyone else does, tailgating and weaving from lane to lane.....May the fleas of a thousand feral dogs infest their neather regions.....
Old 08-11-2005, 12:10 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

Its actually become law in Denmark, that you put on your hazard to warn ppl behind you about sudden traffic and/or you need to brake.

Works like a charm - all the close encounters I had before are gone, and ppl pay attention to it.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:09 AM
Gnome
Racer

Originally Posted by Gretch
.....May the fleas of a thousand feral dogs infest their neather regions.....
Ouch! Hope they aren't too busy scratching to brake...
Old 08-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

In some localities we have "20mph AT ALL TIMES in school zones" (I can hear Lee now). The violation is pricey around $275.00. So...

You want to discuss a/holes...here's the picture...

Beautiful weather, my sun roof and windows open going down the long hill from my house. I Get to the school zone and drop my speed to 20MPH.

"Move your M/F'ing red *** your Porsche Pri*k" I hear from somewhere behind me. I look in the rear view mirror and here's a big fat guy about 30 years old on a poorly sized mountain bike right on my tail...like maybe 2 inches away from from the bumperettes.

At this point he starts to pass on the left but there's a car approaching, so he swerves all the way to the right but its too tight because the trees (we have a few trees in Oregon) are right up to the road.

Now this guy is yelling at the top of his lungs and calling me every name he can think of and telling all the trees what he thinks of Porsche cars. Finally the approaching car passes which was a beautiful red Corvette also going about 20...and Big Boy on a Bike decides this is it he's going to pass me on the left.

At this point his big hairy Streck legs and his weight are pushing this mountain bike to speeds probably pretty close to 40mph down hill. As he passes of course he does something original and gives me the finger (Gee, I wish I thought of that). He's whipping down the hill and the rear strut is bouncing big boy on a bike big time. Then the front starts to go as he approaches the turn at the bottom of the hill where he completely looses it and ends up dropping the bike and rolling in the brush.

As I approach I slow down and stop and ask if he's OK to which he replies..."F/you you Porsche Pri*k...I toot my horn and gave him the big forehead "L".

Quick Reply: How to remove the as$hole magnet in rear bumper !