996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

RoW M030 or Bilstein PSS-9

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 03:42 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Stat, ride ht is what I'm talking about re alignment, and that can be changed after install. Adjust away.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:27 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Stat, ride ht is what I'm talking about re alignment, and that can be changed after install. Adjust away.
Surgeon, Yes the PSS9 can be set-up with different ride heights (at install or reinstall), but once the ride height is set I don't mess with it (if that is what you are saying I agree!). I am talking about the adjustments 1-9 on the shocks. I play around with those and there is no need to re-align. Think we're talking about different things. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:19 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ride height can be adjusted anytime on a coilover with the turn of a wrench. The problem with PSS9s and the like, in most hands the adjustability is useless, granted there are quite a few guys on Rennlist with track experience and they know what they are doing. The vast majority of the bling crowd has no clue, that's why their cars cough and sputter trying to get down the track in one piece, and some have learned there is more to a GT2 than the ride height alone. With PSS9s you have 9 adjustments, then add the variations in ride height, then if you have GT 3 sway bars- thats another 3-4 adjustments on each end, not to mention tire pressures...the combinations are almost endless. Most guys don't need it IMO, keep it as simple as possible on the street/track. I'll stick with the Porsche engineers on this point, unless it's all out racing then that's totally different.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

I will say that the ride with PSS9s is very comfortable for a lowered suspension. This may be the most comfortable coilover I have experienced, but I like a tighter sportier feel. Mine is set at 4 and it seems little soft at low speeds, but tightens at higher speeds.

On my TT, the progression rate of the PSS9s seem like redbound and compression are softer or same as stock at low speeds, but tighter than stock at very high speed when piston speed increases. Will setting at 1 increase compression and rebound at lower speed without much of an increase in compression in rebound at higher speeds. I am hoping that the spring progression rates are not uniform for each setting and that lower the number below 4 will mainly effect low speed driving. I don't want the car to get twitchy feeling at very high speeds. Anyone know for sure.

Last edited by Doug H; 08-06-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:43 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by DJ 996
The ride height can be adjusted anytime on a coilover with the turn of a wrench. The problem with PSS9s and the like, in most hands the adjustability is useless, granted there are quite a few guys on Rennlist with track experience and they know what they are doing. The vast majority of the bling crowd has no clue, that's why their cars cough and sputter trying to get down the track in one piece, and some have learned there is more to a GT2 than the ride height alone.
DJ, I certainly don't want to create any hard feelings (I'm one of the BLING losers incapable of understanding the physics of suspension systems). I'm sure you have driven a P-car with PSS9s. And you know that even without any adjustments, the ride is way better than stock (street or track). I have not driven a car with ROW30 so I can not compare. I have certainly heard good things (and bad) about both suspension systems. IMHO the PSS9 suspension is very nice.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:23 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, chill out. As I said in my post the guys on Rennlist, you included, are the exception. My observation comes from years of experience, in a misguided youth racing cars all over the country as Chris can attest to, I have driven and raced with various coilover systems- mostly Koni- and weight jack systems. I'm not condeming PSS9s, I just think most guys couldn't tell you the difference between loose and tight in a corner, and they don't need them IMO of course. I have not driven a PSS9 Porsche, maybe it's better maybe not, I like my RoW M030. No hard feelings.
Cheers.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:33 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Doug, No worries...I'm actually quite cool for a change as the damn heat wave here in Colorado finally broke. The ROW looks great on your car and I'm glad you like it. It seems that neither one of us is actually capable of commenting on the other since we haven't driven it. You like yours and I like mine...all settled. Salute.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

some interesting observations... although most are happy with their ROW 030 systems I've heard a few people comment about low speed harshness.... hmmm,, didn't think there would be any with the ROW 030 but I guess there is some... I've also heard a p-car salesman tell me the same thing and I wasn't able to confirm it until reading comments on this forum.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My initial impression was of some harshness at low speed on patched city streets, but I seem to be getting acclimated to it. In my drive last night, I was noticing how well the shocks handle the low speed stiffness. The row 030 is damped very well.

Quick Reply: RoW M030 or Bilstein PSS-9