996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

RoW M030 or Bilstein PSS-9

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
doode968
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

PSS9's are excellent. Not hard to adjust at all. After some practice, one can do it without looking or jacking the car up.

Be mindful though that some clubs will add 'points' or even bump you to the next class with PSS9's as they are considered adjustable suspension (which they are).
Old 08-04-2005, 07:53 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

After a great deal of research, including a long talk with Gert at Carnewal, I had decided to go with X74 (but I traded the car before installing). It really depends upon your needs, but unless you truly need adjustability, do yourself a favor and check out X74 carefully before you make a decision.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
Here is a good read about the ROW suspension kit.

http://www.pca.org/panorama/sample_article_3.html
I spent hours looking for this link a few wks. back, all in vain. I remember reading it and had forgotten where the piece was,...so, thanks for the link.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had spare cash I'd go with PSS9s. Since I don't, ROW030 it is For the money, it can't be beat. Comes with stiffer sways, shocks, struts, and springs...
Old 08-04-2005, 09:34 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Originally Posted by doode968
Be mindful though that some clubs will add 'points' or even bump you to the next class with PSS9's as they are considered adjustable suspension (which they are).
That's heavily weighing into my decision since I plan on doing some TT events. The ROW is only 15 mod points and coilovers and sways is 50 or 60 which would bump me to the next class. Hmmm....
Old 08-04-2005, 10:57 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

FWIW, I had the RoW M030 on my C2. A couple of observations:

1.) I was only able to get about a degree of neg. camber up front with this suspension. I assume since the PSS9s can be lowered, you can get more camber? (TD, is that true?)

2.) On the roads around here, I found the M030 to be a harsher ride than a friends' PSS9s. In fact, the RoW M030 is actually a little harsher on certain roads I know than the GT3 is.

3.) The sways on the M030 are stiffer than the stock ones, but not as stiff (or adjustable) as the GT3 sways (which can be installed on other 996s). TD, correct me if I'm wrong, but you do have the GT3 sways, right? Personally I think those do a lot for the poise of the car on track. Certainly being able to fine tune with the sways is nice.

4.) The PSS9s do allow you to corner balance your car. Don't know if that's a big deal, because my last car couldn't be balanced, and my present car was balanced before I took it to the track. So I honestly don't know.

If I were doing it again on the C2, I would def go for the GT3 sways, and probably the PSS9s if not the new, less expensive, integrated JRZ units. Which I think are pretty compelling and are a definite cut above the PSS9s.

Anyway, FWIW.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:48 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

In all seriousness adjustments are a pain and 90% of guys leave them set one way, so why bother?
I'm a simple country boy and like one less variable to have to mess with at the track.
Just do the RoW030/X74/X73 route, you'll handle great, be plenty low, preserve your warranty and have all the factory RD behind your decision. They really put alot into suspension designs that I think tuners, with off the shelf coil overs/ one size fits all, just can't match.
I wonder, how many pss9 guys really adjust their suspensions , and how often? Not many and very rarely I bet.
Ask Yetis how he likes his, or Ken.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:19 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

hahahah that was funny..

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Why do you want to adjust the chassis and alignment all the time?
RoW 030, half the price. Then again, what do the porsche engineers know? Unless you go to multiple different tracks, pss9's are a waste of time IMO, 90% of the guys who have 'em, don't really need 'em, if they do they otta have Motons anyway. JMO guys, adjust away if you want, just be sure and give me an early pass signal at the track.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:22 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

Originally Posted by Eli K
If I had spare cash I'd go with PSS9s. Since I don't, ROW030 it is For the money, it can't be beat. Comes with stiffer sways, shocks, struts, and springs...

Eli, need help with the install?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts
Default A few points to ponder.........

In all seriousness adjustments are a pain and 90% of guys leave them set one way, so why bother?
I'm a simple country boy and like one less variable to have to mess with at the track.
Just do the RoW030/X74/X73 route, you'll handle great, be plenty low, preserve your warranty and have all the factory RD behind your decision. They really put alot into suspension designs that I think tuners, with off the shelf coil overs/ one size fits all, just can't match.
I wonder, how many pss9 guys really adjust their suspensions , and how often? Not many and very rarely I bet.
Ask Yetis how he likes his, or Ken.
I have a TT. I tried the X73, and it was way too stiff for me. Every tar stripe or expansion joint felt like I was being hit on the head with a rubber hammer. I took them off and went back to stock until I found a better solution. I went with the PSS9's, not because they're adjustable for street / track, but because I could select a shock setting that I like for every day driving. I have done one track event, and No, I did not reset the shocks for the track. For the street, I have a car that looks great, rides and handles better than stock and doesn't require me to keep aspirin in the glove box.

YMMV

Cheers,
Old 08-05-2005, 10:55 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I have the JIC's on my car right now. If it were a weekend/track car, they would stay. However, with a recent job change, I now have a 45-55 minute commute on what could quite possible be the worst roads in North America and they are killing me.

On the track it was amazing, the car was so planted, stable and jut a joy to drive with the coil overs and GT3 sways. So, I cannot say enough about the abilities of the JIC's and their ability on the track.

Moving to the road, it’s a bit of different story. The ride can be very harsh, and definitely will not win you any awards with the other sex. It was fine for the weekend but everyday has proved too much. I have had 4 alignments in the last 5 months. I should mention that I have put 15K miles on the car in the last couple months. You can corner balance, but as a novice tracker and without a garage, I have not adjusted the height once. I have adjusted the rebound/compression, but that only goes so far in terms of ride quality.

I notice the original post is from someone in California. I would say that location will make a huge difference as the roads are in better shape and there is no corrosion to the suspension in the winter or height adjustments required.

I am going to move to ROW30 as I want something that I can leave on the car if and when I sell it.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redduck996
Eli, need help with the install?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:02 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Hummm... I adjust mine (as with most guys, if there is a **** I like to fiddle with it) and I'm a statistician. It takes ...oh...about 5 minutes to change all four settings (boy that is tough). The ride on the PSS9 is much better than stock at any setting. No affect on warranty to my knowledge (my dealer has no issues with it).
Old 08-05-2005, 01:36 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you never track your car, playing with the ***** is not that big a deal on the street. Whenever you change the ride ht, you need to check the alignment, now that's a pain . Significant changes in ride ht will induce bumpsteer during high speed cornering if not done just right.
I think you're probably in the minority, as most guys never adjust their suspension with those setups IMO.
Go Jayhawks
Old 08-05-2005, 02:42 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

If you never track your car, playing with the ***** is not that big a deal on the street. Whenever you change the ride ht, you need to check the alignment, now that's a pain . Significant changes in ride ht will induce bumpsteer during high speed cornering if not done just right.
I think you're probably in the minority, as most guys never adjust their suspension with those setups IMO.
Ride height? The settings are for compression and rebound...not ride height. The ride height is set at install. What are you talking about?

You can change the settings without alignment!

Quick Reply: RoW M030 or Bilstein PSS-9