996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 & Porsche Sports Exhaust...again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:43 AM
krisd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will also need to order a dash switch. I sprayed mine with clear laquer to make it have a gloss finish like the rest of the dash switches. The hardest part for me was feeding the wire from behind the rear seat to the door sill. On the cabs there is a large rubber plug on the passenger side that feeds the main wiring harness to the engine bay. Mine had a small hole (from inside the car it looked like a tube the diameter of about a dime) in it also without any wires going through it. I poked a hole in the rubber, fed the wire through then filled the "tube" with silicon to seal it. I also tapped into an existing vacuum line with a T fitting that was located right below where the instructions tell you to mount the vacuum tank. My throttle body already had vacuum lines attached to both sides, so I was going to have to use a T fitting any way. Doing it this way does not require you to remove the throttle body. You will need to buy an extra T fitting though because the included hardware will not include this.

The rest of the install was pretty easy.

Kris
Old 08-05-2005, 03:44 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get litronics! I thought euro versions have clear side markers by default...
Old 08-05-2005, 06:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Spencer - Nice ride! Welcome to the crazy house. This is an interesting reversal of the mod presess. Must of us usually start out with the simple things like clear side markers and work up to the more complicated performance/mechanical mods. But you seem to be doing the reverse of that! Good for you!

By the way... what the hell is a "gubbins" (from your initial post)?
Old 08-05-2005, 08:47 AM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

By the way... what the hell is a "gubbins" (from your initial post)?
Haha, English term, sorry..."gubbins" = equipment / kit / paraphenalia / accessories ...i.e., the wiring loom, switch, vacuum pipes, relay, etc that comes with the exhaust silencers [administer slap to self] (sorry, mufflers!..) [/administer slap to self]

Nah, the silencer swap shouldn't be too traumatic...this is the mobile money-pit, which I built the engine for...2.1 litre, approx 272bhp, normally aspirated, 9000rpm, approx 510bhp/tonne

Cheers
S
Old 08-05-2005, 09:23 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

i'm not even sure on long trips there is any difference in noise at cruising speeds - the switch may be more of a pain than is really worth it

PSE is my number 1 fave mod and it really does come into its own above 5k rpm
Old 08-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Ekename
Pro

Spencer,

Love the home built! Let us know how the PSE install goes and what the Missus thinks of it. Your p-car looks great too.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:00 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

best part about the Porsche picture is the GC8 WRX Turbo in the background!!!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vividracing
Huh? Better than the 996? Well if you are in to that kinda stuff, to each his own.

Just playin with ya Dan!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:52 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Almost right Vivid...1999 (MY99) STi-5 Type-R....full monty JDM edition, 2-door competition shell, DCCD, blah, blah. It's actually a fair bit quicker down our B-Roads than the 996, despite similar bhp and weight, due to the very short gearing. Not as rewarding when you nail a corner, perhaps, but initially more thrilling. Soon wears off when you only get 8mpg though!....unfortunately, it's now for sale, taking up too much street space....oh, and we've got a baby on the way and the Mrs wants a new (practical) car! ...I get the awful feeling it'll be MPV-ville soon
Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 AM
peter-pa31
2nd Gear

What are the implications of self-installing PSE on a car that is still under the manufacturer's warranty? Does anyone have experience with warranty repairs on engine or electrical systems in a car that had work like this done?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by peter-pa31
What are the implications of self-installing PSE on a car that is still under the manufacturer's warranty? Does anyone have experience with warranty repairs on engine or electrical systems in a car that had work like this done?
No problems or issues. (as long as the install is done correctly.) I did my PSE install, and have had warranty work performed with no issue at all.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:45 PM
peter-pa31
2nd Gear

Thanks. That is great news. I imagine that the dealer is happy to do warranty work - they get paid and the customer is still happy. I guess it would be interesting to know if PCNA knew that your car had the work done. Clearly, we are on the hook if our work causes related problems. Hopefully PCNA takes this approach and would only refuse to pay for a warranty repair if it were related.

BTW, thanks for the great DIY on PSE.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 PM
PEDROPORSCHE
2nd Gear

Dear Sir:

I have a 3.4 mk1 996, and I am trying to find the point to get the vacum pipe, please could you guide me?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PEDROPORSCHE
Dear Sir:

I have a 3.4 mk1 996, and I am trying to find the point to get the vacum pipe, please could you guide me?
Search the word "vacuum" here on rennlist and on renntech.org.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...4537&hl=vacuum

Quick Reply: 996 & Porsche Sports Exhaust...again!