996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 & Porsche Sports Exhaust...again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:19 AM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 & Porsche Sports Exhaust...again!

Hi Chaps,

First posting on RennList, so "hello" to everyone!

Okay, I know this is another PSE post, and you're probably bored to tears with replying to them, but I've finally convinced SWMBO that buying a PSE is a good idea, but want to fully understand what's-what before parting with £1,100....tried searching, but brain is now fried, esp as some posts refer to 997's.

The facts:
1) I have a 1998 996 Carrera 2 (3.4)
2) There's no PASM or anything fancy, just a straightforward "vanilla" model
3) I DO want to have the manual bypass switch fitted, not for my benefit, but to keep the Mrs happy on long trips, plus, we're expecting our first Junior in a few months, so need it to be (occassionally) quiet for that reason alone.

The unknowns:
1) Is the wiring already in place in the dashboard, ready to accept the manual switch?
2) I'm guessing there are vacuum pipes that have to be fed through the "trans" tunnel to engine bay?...shouldn't be an issue unless anyone knows of a snag/"gotcha"...or is this gubbins all contained in the engine bay?
3) Will the exhaust, when connected electrically, automatically switch in and out on the 996 model at certain speeds, to satisfy Euro drive-by noise regs?...or is this a 997 feature for PASM equipped cars? (I don't want this to happen...I want to control if it's in bypass mode or not, not let the car decide)
4) Have read about physically disconnecting the vacuum pipes from a switching unit on 997's....is this at all relevant to the 996 C2?

In my spare time, I build race-cars/tinker with engines, etc, so am looking to install this myself...how long (typically) does it take to do?

Thanks in anticipation chaps,

Spencer.

Last edited by spenny_b; 08-04-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:23 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi first off , RULE# 1 Post pics of the car!!! Now to your questions:

1) NO the wiring is not in the car, PSE should come with the kit, If not Gert has them.

2)No snags on running vacum lines

3)When the PSE is installed correctly it will come on after 50 k,

4) There is a hack to bypass the automatic PSE noise control

This Job , if its your first time could take maybe 3 or 4 hours , that depends on you , it is pretty strait forward, but you should know these cars can be a pain in the *** to work on for the first couple of times. GOOD LUCK
Old 08-04-2005, 10:58 AM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Hi kilrgt, thanks for your reply...I'll get some pics together/cropped and posted ASAP!

Ok, just a couple of follow-ups...

1) I've checked with the vendor (not Gert at Carnewal, Design911 who are local to me in the UK) and the kit does come with the wiring....where does this interface with the cars loom?...I take it that this can be installed into all models?

2) Great, good news

3) & 4)...hmmm, when "activated" I want it on all the time, not just >5k...what's the hack to bypass the PSE noise control then please?

Thanks

Spencer
Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spenny_b
Hi kilrgt, thanks for your reply...I'll get some pics together/cropped and posted ASAP!

Ok, just a couple of follow-ups...

1) I've checked with the vendor (not Gert at Carnewal, Design911 who are local to me in the UK) and the kit does come with the wiring....where does this interface with the cars loom?...I take it that this can be installed into all models?

2) Great, good news

3) & 4)...hmmm, when "activated" I want it on all the time, not just >5k...what's the hack to bypass the PSE noise control then please?

Thanks

Spencer

check with renntech.org . they have a "hack" for disabling the 30mph cutout.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:11 PM
c4s Jim
Track Day

Default Installation DIY

http://www.belladessa.com/auctions/exhaust/exhaust.htm
Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome Spencer:

I did a PSE install a few months ago:

Here are the details of my install

If you are installing the wiring harness from scratch, simply do not connect the speed sensor wire, and the 30 mph cutout will not activate. No need for the hack described in RennTech.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:22 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Welcome Spencer:

I did a PSE install a few months ago:

Here are the details of my install

If you are installing the wiring harness from scratch, simply do not connect the speed sensor wire, and the 30 mph cutout will not activate. No need for the hack described in RennTech.
Fan-bloody-tastic ...thanks Orient...book-marked, printed and comitted to memory!!

Cheers to everyone else as well for your help, they're now ordered, should be in stock ready for collection on Tues...oooh, can't wait!! [must finish bathroom tiling first=on]

Spen
Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Now where's those pics!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:27 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Now where's those pics!!!
Okay...here we go...not a brill photo, but you get the jist...

Cheers
Spen
Old 08-04-2005, 02:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very nice! Aero Kit I is simply beautiful!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:35 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

nice! love aerokit 1/mk1 gt3 but gotta get rid of the orange
Old 08-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Welcome Spen. Nice car. I did the complete install of the PSE with the switch, took me about 5 hours taking my time. Good luck...

Ps. Good idea to finish the tile job first...
Old 08-04-2005, 03:35 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Cheers guys, yeah, next thing on my list is the clear lens kit. Incidentally, I know there's a difference between Boxster and 996 headlamps, in-so-much as the level adjust isn't there on Boxster items (I think...), but does anyone have any idea if *most* people go for the cheaper (Boxster) items or stick completely original with the 911 items?

I can get a whole 996 kit, inc rears, sides, headlamps and infills for £759 in the UK, but this includes the Boxster lamps; the same supplier is saying each 911 lamp (with adjuster) would be £345!!...looking at about £1k in total plus tax...can't help thinking most people would opt for the cheaper option?

S
Old 08-04-2005, 11:22 PM
JoeTanto
Instructor

Welcome Spen!!! Car is beautiful!! I've gotta go order that Aero Kit I now!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:00 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spenny_b
Cheers guys, yeah, next thing on my list is the clear lens kit. Incidentally, I know there's a difference between Boxster and 996 headlamps, in-so-much as the level adjust isn't there on Boxster items (I think...), but does anyone have any idea if *most* people go for the cheaper (Boxster) items or stick completely original with the 911 items?

I can get a whole 996 kit, inc rears, sides, headlamps and infills for £759 in the UK, but this includes the Boxster lamps; the same supplier is saying each 911 lamp (with adjuster) would be £345!!...looking at about £1k in total plus tax...can't help thinking most people would opt for the cheaper option?

S
Hi Spencer,

Nice car. I love the aerokit.

We don't have the adjuster in U.S. cars -- there is just a "blank" on the dashboard where the adjuster wheel is supposed to be. I am not sure if the U.S. 996 headlamps are different from the UK headlamps (maybe they are the same except we just don't have the adjuster).

Anyway, halogen headlamp takeoffs from 996s that have been upgraded to the Retrofit Litronics can be found on eBay. That might be the way to go if you can verify that they are the same as the UK headlamps (you don't want to fail the MOT).

Cheers,

Quick Reply: 996 & Porsche Sports Exhaust...again!