996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First Time Porsche Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:41 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the funny farm! When my wife starts complaining about the P-Car, I just remind her that I (unfortunately) spend less time with my P-Car than most guys do on the golf course, and that the P-Car addiction is safer and cheaper than having a mistress! It could be worse!

Car looks great, welcome to the slippery slope. Start thinking now about how to explain to her that you MUST install PSS9s and GT3 Swaybars for safety reasons . . . I mean, driving around at that 4x4 height is just unsafe!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:13 PM
StanSoph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks great, welcome to the slippery slope. Start thinking now about how to explain to her that you MUST install PSS9s and GT3 Swaybars for safety reasons . . . I mean, driving around at that 4x4 height is just unsafe!

This is almost standard; like the pics of the new ride.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:37 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

My wife hates driving in my cars. She gets carsick. She loves looking at them, however. She never complains about the cost of maintaining/modifying them. She DOES bitch me out a bit for not driving them often enough...
Old 07-26-2005, 06:51 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!

Keep the wife, there is nothing like a supportive spouse!
K
Old 07-26-2005, 07:08 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by StanSoph
Car looks great, welcome to the slippery slope. Start thinking now about how to explain to her that you MUST install PSS9s and GT3 Swaybars for safety reasons . . . I mean, driving around at that 4x4 height is just unsafe! ....
John - OUCH! ...my car also resembles that remark!

I saw in one of your other posts that you were in Austin and attended UT. I lived in San Antonio for 30 years! Moved away just after the Alamo fell to Santa Anna... oh, wait... I'm not that old! Must have been one of my other lives! Moved to NJ in 1999 then to NC in 2001, been here since then. We need to talk one of these days, ‘cuz I see some common, almost redundant, threads that are starting to get more interwoven each week.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:33 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 426 Likes on 277 Posts

Congrats on the car and nice pics.
I know the feeling as far as the wife goes. When I bought mine I called her from the dealer and said " I bought the car" . She replied that she didn't agree with it. I did it anyway. I don't agree with all the jewelery she has or the 100 pair of shoes and tons of cloths, but she doesn't ask my permission. When I got home all 3 of my kids came running out for a ride. My wife came out looked, turned around and went inside. She has been in it 3 or 4 times in the last 15 months. She can't drive a stick so she can't drive it at all(thank god). She doesn't drive my car, I don't wear her cloths, jewelery, shoes etc. LOL.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I lived in San Antonio for 30 years!
Holy cow Tim! I lived in SA for 25 years and got my BA and MS from UT as well! Moved to Vegas 3 years ago (wife's job) but probably going back next summer when her commitment is up. This community gets smaller and smaller everytime I sign on Hook 'em!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crash13
The first 2 things I'd like to do are to replace the CR-220 head unit with a CDR-220 (already have the trunk mounted changer) and do a hidden garage door opener (that thing just looks tacky hanging off the visor). Other mods may have to wait a while until things really cool down at home.

rob
Nice machine - my spouse wouldn't even sit in the car for about 2 months, but is slowly warming up to it.

here is a great link to a garage door mod that really looks fairly easy. These interiors are so easy to work on as you can pull apart most of the stuff. you should look at the $20 car manual from the UK. Comes through high speed fairly quickly.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albur29
Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 PM
JoeTanto
Instructor

Beautiful car!! Love the colors. Welcome! I just did the clear side markers last week and they look great!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Holy cow Tim! I lived in SA for 25 years and got my BA and MS from UT as well! Moved to Vegas 3 years ago (wife's job) but probably going back next summer when her commitment is up. This community gets smaller and smaller everytime I sign on Hook 'em!
Dell - That is amazing! You were in SA for 25 years! I, however, did not attend UT. We have a lot of family and friends in SA so we normally get back to there about twice per year, usually in summer and at Christmas. This year, however, we did not go back in the summer and may not go back for Christmas.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Welcome to the board and congrats!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:53 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Temporary Threadjack. Howbout the College World Series, Give 'em Hell, Giv 'em Hell, Go Horns Go!! LV my brother in law is Hed Doc UTMB Galveston. Dr. Dai Chung.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Give em hell is right! That was one of the most dominating series since the early 80s when Roger was king!!! What a small world. I met my wife there when she was doing her residency after med school at UT (University Hospital in SA). The plate on the 911 is inspired by her medical director position (attached). Figured this plate should be hers since the plate on the ML (UT 96)was chosen by me before we owned the 911.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2005, 02:29 AM
StanSoph
Racer

The thread is back to a new member being inducted. Threadjack over. Sorry for inconvinience, temporary melancholy.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:57 AM
crash13
Track Day

Welcome to the funny farm! When my wife starts complaining about the P-Car, I just remind her that I (unfortunately) spend less time with my P-Car than most guys do on the golf course, and that the P-Car addiction is safer and cheaper than having a mistress! It could be worse!

TD,
I'm reminded of a cartoon I saw back in the '80s that I wish I had saved. Guy is washing his Porsche and says to his wife, "Of course I am in love with my Porsche. You would rather I had an affair with Sally Jones?"

I am debating doing some suspension mods. I ran my previous car in SCCA stock class AutoX with several local clubs. I am debating whether or not to run the Carrera or co-drive a friend's car (which would be way cheaper). If I go the co-drive route suspension mods are definitely on the short list for first major mods.

rob

Quick Reply: First Time Porsche Owner