Sponsored by:

First Time Porsche Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 PM
crash13
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Porsche Owner

After 35 years of lusting after a 911, 5 months of searching and 4 months of discussions with my wife I finally purchased an '02 C2 last Monday. The car had only 17,000 miles, was fairly well optioned and had a new set of tires (there's a story (rant) a little further down about them). I can't believe how much of a blast it is to drive. I also can't believe how po'ed my wife was when I brought it home (I thought we had an understanding) - she wouldn't even look at the car for two days. She's finally coming around, though.

Tire story. It finally cooled off enough here to be out and wash the car. Everything's looking good, I'm cleaning the wheels. Passenger rear, what's this? A wheel bolt appears to be loose. Oh, well, I'll torque everything up after I finish the cleaning the passenger front. Now what? I'm MISSING a wheel bolt on the front!! Okay, Friday afternoon, drive to the dealer in VA Beach, 1 hour to get through the tunnel, buy bolt and a few other odds and ends, go to install bolt - no go, the threads are buggered. Stinking tire monkey must have thought he was on a NASCAR pit crew and tried running the bolts in from the impact wrench. Now the search begins for an M14x1.5 tap and say a prayer taht it's only a couple of threads. Fortunately that was the case. I now have 5 bolts holding on the passenger front wheel.

Hopefully that is the last of the fun times. Here are a few pictures.

rob
Attached Images    
Old 07-25-2005, 10:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very nice and great job on including pics with the first post!!! Welcome to the funny farm....hide your wallet
Old 07-25-2005, 10:11 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations crash, I hope you don't live up to your namesake
Old 07-25-2005, 10:14 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, car looks like new, very nice. Let you wife drive it and she won't stop raving about it. Maybe you'll have to get her a cab. I could never understand why wifes disapprove. Maybe they all think we will go pick up some chicks w these? hilarious Maybe they are saving for college funds for the kids? Na!

Too bad about the wheel. Good thing you didn't have to get new bearing or anything major. Those treads are pretty hard to screw up since the bolt holding it is much softer (alum?).

You may consider getting a clear bra and side markers to start. Let's see more pics and your list of options!!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:28 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Awesome car and color!!!

Good luck with it!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:14 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Crash - Welcome and congrads! Nice car, nice wheels. Ditto on the clear side markers. Thanks for sharing the pics, 'cuz we LOVE pics! You're off to a good start!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car Rob! Congrats!
Old 07-26-2005, 07:11 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Just curious: why is your wife so upset about your car purchase? I hope it didn't come down to a home improvement or a Porsche purchase.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:49 AM
crash13
Track Day

Wow, car looks like new, very nice. Let you wife drive it and she won't stop raving about it. Maybe you'll have to get her a cab. I could never understand why wifes disapprove. Maybe they all think we will go pick up some chicks w these? hilarious Maybe they are saving for college funds for the kids? Na!

Too bad about the wheel. Good thing you didn't have to get new bearing or anything major. Those treads are pretty hard to screw up since the bolt holding it is much softer (alum?).

You may consider getting a clear bra and side markers to start. Let's see more pics and your list of options!!
Thanks, the car is in great shape. I've been getting kudos from my co-workers. My wife is just not a car person. Even after 26 years of marriage she can't understand my fascination and it's about the only thing we argue about. This purchase didn't affect college funds - youngest child is starting sophomore year at PSU and his college fund is paid up!

I'll post some more pictures after I wash it again - we had a 10 minute shower yesterday morning that made a mess of the car. I'll post the option list this evening. The first 2 things I'd like to do are to replace the CR-220 head unit with a CDR-220 (already have the trunk mounted changer) and do a hidden garage door opener (that thing just looks tacky hanging off the visor). Other mods may have to wait a while until things really cool down at home.

rob
Old 07-26-2005, 11:39 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I am lucky that my wife is the one who initiated the P-Car purchase in my family. She knew I always wanted one and believe it or not she always wanted one.....me a 911 coupe and her a Boxster so we comprimised and bought a 996 CAB! Best car purchase I have ever made. Hell, my wife is even a track junkie now after I "forced" her to sign up for one. SHe went kicking and screaming but then left asking when the next one was! Just have your wife experience the car and then she will understand. We've had the car for several years (just a model year 2000) now and still get excited everytime we go out to the gargae and say "which car" to which she replies "VROOOM VROOOM???" God I love that woman!

Last edited by LVDell; 07-26-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:38 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Crash, I did the thread thing myself this winter, they are actually easy to crossthread, the wheel lug bolt is case hardened steel, the hub is aluminum btw. 14m 1.5 ptch taps are very hard to find as you know, I had to special order the damnthing. Nice looking car, low miles.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:39 PM
crash13
Track Day

Crash, I did the thread thing myself this winter, they are actually easy to crossthread, the wheel lug bolt is case hardened steel, the hub is aluminum btw. 14m 1.5 ptch taps are very hard to find as you know, I had to special order the damnthing. Nice looking car, low miles.

That tap was difficult to find. I checked all the local hardware and auto parts stores and couldn't find an individual tap (didn't want to pay $139.00 for a low quality tap and die set, either). We don't have a whole lot of metric stuff at work, but at least I was able to borrow a tap handle. I ended up getting the last one at the local fastener supply store. At least I'm ready for any future stupid mistakes on my (or someone elses) part.

Now I just plan to have some fun driving.

rob
Old 07-26-2005, 01:47 PM
crash13
Track Day

I am lucky that my wife is the one who initiated the P-Car purchase in my family. She knew I always wanted one and believe it or not she always wanted one.....me a 911 coupe and her a Boxster so we comprimised and bought a 996 CAB! Best car purchase I have ever made. Hell, my wife is even a track junkie now after I "forced" her to sign up for one. SHe went kicking and screaming but then left asking when the next one was! Just have your wife experience the car and then she will understand. We've had the car for several years (just a model year 2000) now and still get excited everytime we go out to the gargae and say "which car" to which she replies "VROOOM VROOOM???" Got I love that woman!
You really are lucky. I wouldn't trade my wife for anything, but I wish she was more understanding about my auto addiction. I envy you getting your wife signed up for a track day. I'm hoping... At a recent charity auction I won a day at Summit Point with Heinz Peters in a 911 ITE car. I'm hoping that she will go along and, maybe, get out on the track. She doesn't seem to mind speed. When we visit relatives in Germany she has no complaints about my driving on the autobahn, so there is some hope.

rob
Old 07-26-2005, 02:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I have a feeling, one lap and she will be hooked!
Old 07-26-2005, 02:34 PM
StanSoph
Racer

Welcome to the group. You will find answers to ALL things Porsche. The people on this board are some of the nicest, most generous folks you could run across. They will answer the same question 50,000. times like it was the first. They provide links, humor and do it willingly. Welcome aboard. Car looks fantastic, love that interior color. I would have it if I wasn't prone to being filthy all the time. I would only be able to drive at the end of the day after a shower with my PJ's on. As far as the wallet goes; you bought the carand your wife has accepted that. Just do the mods; easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. I ask for permission cause I enjoy sleeping in the house.

Quick Reply: First Time Porsche Owner