Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

TPC VS. EVO Supercharger kits for the 3.6L 02' Carrera??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Captain Tal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The supercharger system has MANY fewer components and less complexity than a Turbo system. This generally infers a more reliable platform.

I know of NO instances of a SC causing any measurable harm to an engine nor any mechanical issues. There have been some instances of an oil line leak as a result of an improper installation but other than that, NADA. There have been nearly 100 Evo 996 kits sold and all reports I have seen have been positive, including mine.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:16 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

An sc is a very tempting mod, I think the Ruf and Evo systems are the best and about as good. I once saw a tpc on a boxster blow a motor all over the track. The big advantage of a Ruf in my eyes is the Ruf reputation and 2 yr warranty on the motor. I understand evo will be coming out with a 36mo warranty at a higher cost soon. CARB approval is a big problem for the evo, I understand tpc already has it and Ruf is applying for it now. If I was pulling the trigger today I'd go with a Ruf unit just for the peace of mind.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:42 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
An sc is a very tempting mod, I think the Ruf and Evo systems are the best and about as good. I once saw a tpc on a boxster blow a motor all over the track. The big advantage of a Ruf in my eyes is the Ruf reputation and 2 yr warranty on the motor. I understand evo will be coming out with a 36mo warranty at a higher cost soon. CARB approval is a big problem for the evo, I understand tpc already has it and Ruf is applying for it now. If I was pulling the trigger today I'd go with a Ruf unit just for the peace of mind.
As usual, you and I think alike on this. I think the Ruf would be great, but the problem I have is that I don't really "need" it now that I am using the 996 solely for the street. I wonder whether the cash could better be used elsewhere (e.g., GT3, 997S, etc . . . )
Old 07-28-2005, 10:22 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Agreed. I really enjoy pushing my car now, and I'm nowhere near the limit. When I did the PDE Dave Murray took me out on a hot lap in a plain 996, at the conclusion, after I changed underwear, he asked if I still thought I needed a Turbo. I replied, no.
20k for the Ruf and at least 13k for the Evo is a lot of cash to drop, if you're ready to do that why not just take the cash and your current ride and get a GT3.
Right now, my car with minor engine mods, X73 and R compound tires spanks alot of cars on the track. But, it is very tempting I must admit.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:36 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Chris, what R compounds are you running?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:29 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Michilin Sport Cups, 225 fr/295 r.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Chasmanporschefan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I have no reliability issues, so if you know they exists, you should enlighten us with the details.
Dr. W, care to comment on your experience?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Michilin Sport Cups, 225 fr/295 r.
Thanks Chris! That is exaclty what I was thinking of moving to for the track. Any reason why you went 225/295 over 235/295?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:52 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't the AWD P-cars require a specific rolling diameter matched front to back?
I'm on 235/295 w/my C2.

-KJ
Old 07-28-2005, 01:07 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I think KJ is right, I just went with the stock sizes in cups. When I had snows on my car they were way different (sizes)and the awd was constantly correcting itself, a weird sensation while driving.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:02 PM
wyo996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

After many problems related to a poor install I can now say my SC is running perfectly, except for the occasional CEL that I can delete with the OBDII program. It is the Evo and Todd does his best to fix any problems he can over the phone. I would not suggest any of the aftermarket blowers for those faint of heart and not willing to get their hands dirty, unless blessed with a great local shop and lots of money. Has anyone considered using a water spray on the front intercooler heat exchanger? I have been toying with the idea of intercooler cooling which is popular with nitrous or liquid CO2. It would be simple to fashion a plastic resivoir in the spare tire space and use a small pump to spray iced water al la Subaru WRX STi. Just a little R&D with those spot thermometers might show a significant drop in the charge temperature and the cost would be minimal. Always thinking. Just a little more HP please. Will

Last edited by wyo996; 07-28-2005 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-29-2005, 12:30 PM
911Carrera3.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wyo996
After many problems related to a poor install I can now say my SC is running perfectly, except for the occasional CEL that I can delete with the OBDII program. It is the Evo and Todd does his best to fix any problems he can over the phone. I would not suggest any of the aftermarket blowers for those faint of heart and not willing to get their hands dirty, unless blessed with a great local shop and lots of money. Has anyone considered using a water spray on the front intercooler heat exchanger? I have been toying with the idea of intercooler cooling which is popular with nitrous or liquid CO2. It would be simple to fashion a plastic resivoir in the spare tire space and use a small pump to spray iced water al la Subaru WRX STi. Just a little R&D with those spot thermometers might show a significant drop in the charge temperature and the cost would be minimal. Always thinking. Just a little more HP please. Will
NOS or CO2 intercooler spray will definitely net you gains....we use to rig those up as a cheap HP bump on our Supra's front mount intercoolers all the time, especially in the summer...the gains are VERY noticable (i'd say 30+rwhp on a stock turbo's MKIV supra.) Have you (or anybody else) also done the header and exhaust (full exhaust) mods yet to complement the blower package? I would presume a noticable gain with full exhaust being the kind of CFM's that are coming out of a supercharged 911 motor.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:43 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

all this high hp build up.... who exactly are you preparing to race with this sc'd beast?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:48 PM
911Carrera3.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
all this high hp build up.... who exactly are you preparing to race with this sc'd beast?
*Anyone!* ...i think thats the whole point, hehe
Old 07-29-2005, 12:51 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

there used to be (can't seem to find it now) a club based o/o dc... "the high rollers" or something like that.... they had lots of high hp machinery. never used them on the track though... pity.

Quick Reply: TPC VS. EVO Supercharger kits for the 3.6L 02' Carrera??