Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

TPC VS. EVO Supercharger kits for the 3.6L 02' Carrera??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:35 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Newbie to performance cars? How about coming to Summit Point or VIR with the local PCA region and experience how impressive the car is stock(ish)? You'd be amazed. Supercharge the car once you're able to access over 80% of the performance. I have no clue where you can run to 140 in the washington metro area either! Although VIR has a back straight that is nearly a mile long. ;-)

I've been in a TPC supercharged 996 and it was highly impressive. A very different feel compared to the turbo. Maybe the longish gearing holds it back somewhat? The 996TT is definitely geared a bit shorter through 3rd gear at least.

-KJ
Old 07-26-2005, 05:07 PM
911Carrera3.6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KJinDC
Newbie to performance cars? How about coming to Summit Point or VIR with the local PCA region and experience how impressive the car is stock(ish)? You'd be amazed. Supercharge the car once you're able to access over 80% of the performance. I have no clue where you can run to 140 in the washington metro area either! Although VIR has a back straight that is nearly a mile long. ;-)

I've been in a TPC supercharged 996 and it was highly impressive. A very different feel compared to the turbo. Maybe the longish gearing holds it back somewhat? The 996TT is definitely geared a bit shorter through 3rd gear at least.

-KJ
Thanks for the invite, I plan on doing exactly that...just like I did with my Acura NSX (Computech supercharged), Z06 vette (supercharged), and 500HP MKIV TT Supra I had.....I do enjoy the jefferson circuit as well.

(General statement)- I would appreciate the "judgments" on doing 140+ MPH on a public hwy be done away with. My goal for spending $13,000+ on my car aren't for *just* better track times at Summit point....its to not be embarrassed by any run of the mill C6 vette on 495 or the interstate. (Not to say it happens often, but thats were MY priorities lie)

When you say the TPC Supercharged 996 was "impressive"...would you say it felt (or is) faster than a 996TT (X50) ?? 40-to-140 pull** (was it a 3.6 L 996 or 3.4 u rode in?)

Anyone else have input no this....has anyone actually timing an EVO or TPC SC'ed 996 car in the 1/4 mile to see what real improvements these expensive kits in fact give ??
Old 07-26-2005, 05:54 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

I apologize, I misread your original post. You are NOT a newbie to performance cars. What groups did/do you run with at the track. Unfortunately I rarely run with groups that contains the high HP machinery you had out there. I'm stuck chasing cup cars and turbos and GT3s. I'd imagine those cars felt like bulls in a china shop at the JC.

I didn't make any judgment call on how you behave on the streets. Nor do i think any one else did here either. I still don't know anywhere in the metro area where you can go 140 though. And while I understand your priorities, i think it's an interesting comparison of 2 enthusiasts. I get embarrassed when I DO get goaded into contests of speed on the streets however rarely it happens. I am no saint though.

The TPC car didn't have the torquey feel of the TT so it felt slower. There wasn't a TT near the car when I was in it so i can't say whether it was faster or not. To me, torque gives the feel of speed and can be deceiving at times. My S4 feels quicker than my 996 but it isn't. The TPC car pulled well from the mid-range to the top end though. I Also recall that it might not have been completely tuned. Sorry I can't be of more help.

-KJ
Old 07-26-2005, 06:01 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Carrera3.6
Thanks for the invite, I plan on doing exactly that...just like I did with my Acura NSX (Computech supercharged), Z06 vette (supercharged), and 500HP MKIV TT Supra I had.....I do enjoy the jefferson circuit as well.

(General statement)- I would appreciate the "judgments" on doing 140+ MPH on a public hwy be done away with. My goal for spending $13,000+ on my car aren't for *just* better track times at Summit point....its to not be embarrassed by any run of the mill C6 vette on 495 or the interstate. (Not to say it happens often, but thats were MY priorities lie)

When you say the TPC Supercharged 996 was "impressive"...would you say it felt (or is) faster than a 996TT (X50) ?? 40-to-140 pull** (was it a 3.6 L 996 or 3.4 u rode in?)

Anyone else have input no this....has anyone actually timing an EVO or TPC SC'ed 996 car in the 1/4 mile to see what real improvements these expensive kits in fact give ??
Last time I checked, I was hitting 100 mph from a standstill in 9.5 seconds on street tires.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:03 PM
911Carrera3.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Last time I checked, I was hitting 100 mph from a standstill in 9.5 seconds on street tires.
Out of curiosity, how did you measure this time to 100mph ? Gtech pro, intrument, other ? That seems to be on par with a stock TT to 100mph...which for a 3.4 is stout** EVO states their kit on a 3.6 is a world faster than a 3.4 too. (50 more HP and a lot more torque) I wish I could get concrete results/times on exactly what these cars can do equipped with these two supercharger packages....
Old 07-27-2005, 12:26 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't recommend 'real' 1/4 mile drag racing with any 996, the suspension/ differential/ tranny /clutch will never handle the stresses, street tires/grudge nite is a different story.
the best venue for a 996 is a road course. As a point of reference, my car with minor engine mods, X73 suspension and race tires will spank most stock turbos/sc'd cars around the track, and has. Suspension, tires, driver skill will neutralize raw hp 90% of the time. Now take one of these cars and set it up correctly suspension/tire/driver wise and look out!
As far as evaluating gains a g-timer is just as good/accurate as a chassis dyno, IMO.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Out of curiosity, how did you measure this time to 100mph ? Gtech pro, intrument, other ? That seems to be on par with a stock TT to 100mph...which for a 3.4 is stout** EVO states their kit on a 3.6 is a world faster than a 3.4 too. (50 more HP and a lot more torque) I wish I could get concrete results/times on exactly what these cars can do equipped with these two supercharger packages....
Put it this way...up to 120 mph, my 3.4 stays ahead of all stock turbos, GT3's and the GT2 cannot pull away. If I wanted to abuse the car by lowering the 44psi I run in the back tires and pull a hole shot from the start, times would be obviously be substantially better. My times are without ANY wheel spin.

There are 2 TPC SC'd 996's around here and they are considerably slower and run hotter than hell. They have more torque at the low end, but their intake temps are much hotter than the EVO SC, greatly decreasing the power in the top third of the rpm range. One guy measured 195F intake temp after 2 runs. I can keep my intake temps about 40 or degrees above ambient temps after several runs.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:45 PM
911Carrera3.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
...There are 2 TPC SC'd 996's around here and they are considerably slower and run hotter than hell. They have more torque at the low end, but their intake temps are much hotter than the EVO SC, greatly decreasing the power in the top third of the rpm range. One guy measured 195F intake temp after 2 runs. I can keep my intake temps about 40 or degrees above ambient temps after several runs.
Wow...thanks for that bit of information, very interesting** TPC reccommends a GT3 radiator upgrade with their kit which i thought was peculiar* Your information runs consistent with that.

...do you have any other power mods like exhaust or just the EVO kit? I am curious as to how much your car dyno's at the wheels.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Captain Tal
Advanced

I have a 2004 C4S that just underwent a transformation including an Evo Supercharger system. I carefully weighed the advantages of a Roots blower (TPC) compared to a centrifugal blower (Evo) and found that the Evo system was a more complete package. The intercooler system and the GIAC tuning combined to make a better overall performing (and better looking) system.

My ride put down 411 at the wheels which translates to nearly 500 at the crank. While I haven't raced a stock turbo, I am quite confident I could pull cleanly away. An X50 might be more of a challenge but I am sure I could hold my own. I think a C2 would be even faster given the weight differential.

I really like my added power and would recommened it to anyone.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:58 PM
911Carrera3.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Captain Tal
My ride put down 411 at the wheels which translates to nearly 500 at the crank. While I haven't raced a stock turbo, I am quite confident I could pull cleanly away. An X50 might be more of a challenge but I am sure I could hold my own. I think a C2 would be even faster given the weight differential.

I really like my added power and would recommened it to anyone.
Thanks for sharing that, these are the type of accolades I'm looking for to justify the $13,000+ cost of doing the kit to my 02' C2. If you can hold your own against an X50 TT being a C4S...a lighter C2 with a more efficent drivetrain (RWD only) should pull away from it convincingly**

...although it would be good to hear from someone whom also owns a TPC SC equipped car so that this exchange isn't bias or one dimensional....but I'm having trouble finding a person who actually owns one on these forums.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:08 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Wow...thanks for that bit of information, very interesting** TPC reccommends a GT3 radiator upgrade with their kit which i thought was peculiar* Your information runs consistent with that.

...do you have any other power mods like exhaust or just the EVO kit? I am curious as to how much your car dyno's at the wheels.
The only mod besides the supercharger is 2003 C4S mufflers that I just recently put on. I have done a few things to reduce engine and intake temps over the stock temps which has also helped with increasing power. As far as dyno results; I have dyno results showing 372 RWHP, 437 RWHP and 407 RWHP, all done the same day on 3 different dynojet systems. I have no idea which is correct, if any....nor do I care. I don't bother with them since you can make them read anything you want. I rely on real world performance to measure improvements. If the car performs the way you want, does it matter whether an artificial power test shows 200 hp or 400 hp? A dyno chart won't win a race. Like Chris said earlier, a good G-timer is as good as a dyno in measuring changes in performance.

The stock EVO system is a safe and reliable perfomance mod for the 996. You have to remember that the boost, as with the Turbo, is not present in the engine for 99% of the time, so these naysayers that say having constant boost on a 996 will destroy the engine, obviously do not know what they are talking about. I drive my car extremely hard and have no problems and use no oil.

Additionally, you can completely reverse the mod in a few hours time is you so desire.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:25 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

let me get this straight... you wanna get positive manifold pressure so w/ lots of hp&torque you can beat up on lower hp C2's???

(am I missing something? where's the fun in that?)

wouldn't you rather have lower hp and beat up on the more powerful cars?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Chasmanporschefan
Intermediate

I haven't heard a word about reliability issues, and I know they exist. What's more reliable, an EVO supercharger or twin turbo. If I drop $13k for the supercharger (instead of $20-30 to upgrade to the TT), will my car be in the shop constantly with no mechanic in town having an understanding of EVO kits?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:11 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chasmanporschefan
I haven't heard a word about reliability issues, and I know they exist. What's more reliable, an EVO supercharger or twin turbo. If I drop $13k for the supercharger (instead of $20-30 to upgrade to the TT), will my car be in the shop constantly with no mechanic in town having an understanding of EVO kits?
I have no reliability issues, so if you know they exists, you should enlighten us with the details.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KJinDC

I didn't make any judgment call on how you behave on the streets. Nor do i think any one else did here either. I still don't know anywhere in the metro area where you can go 140 though. And while I understand your priorities, i think it's an interesting comparison of 2 enthusiasts. I get embarrassed when I DO get goaded into contests of speed on the streets however rarely it happens. I am no saint though.

-KJ
No worries KJ, I think his comment was directed at me, for my earlier post asking the color of his 996, so I could pull over as he closes in at 140 MPH. Still waiting for an answer....

Quick Reply: TPC VS. EVO Supercharger kits for the 3.6L 02' Carrera??