Hi 996 peeps...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005 | 03:48 PM
lorenolson888
Pro

Default Hi 996 peeps...

Hi there,

Decided to invade from the 928 world...

I really like the idea of getting into one of these 996 cars in the next couple of years... i read some of the post that were essentially bitch sessions but it seems that many of you are pretty happy with your cars...

Sounds like RMS failure is getting better but still not completely fixed... Does anyone have an upgrade/rebuilt engine fix for this.. i.e with the crank out maybe bore and stroke as well as make the sealing surface conentric with the crank journals... May not be doabe to 0.03mm once the block has been made... just wondering as most of my 996 friends say they know of no solution yet...

How many people take their off warranty cars to the dealer for service when they live within driving range of an idependant shop that works on porsches...

Also When buying a 996 I have read a few things which are quite different than when buying an oldy like a 928... like getting the dealer service records and that a good deal is a warining sign... About 6 months ago i saw some C4S cars for 30 to 40K... these cars has 15K to 30K on the odo so they were like new. are these warning cars.... does the year factor in at all... should I be looking at 2001 plus?

also i would want a hardtop C2 or C4... Though i have hear a lot about the 4wd cars being converted back to 2wd.. is that for racing only or only the late 993 turbos... Since I have no experience in a 911 car would 4wd be a bummer or just a plus for a newbie...

thanks,
LO
Old 07-17-2005 | 04:30 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

Personally I just upgraded my 944 to a 2000 996 C4. So even though my experience on the 996 is extremely limited, I tried to do a lot of research before buying.

On the C2 vs C4 issue (as with most other choices) its a matter of personal preference.

For me I want to drive my 996 every day - also in the Danish/Swedish winter. Thus the C4 is the logical choice, even if C2 with PSM and good winter tires supposedly also are good winter cars. I'm just a little scared from driving my 944 every winter for the last 5 years - and it wasnt all that fun to be honest. C4 comes with PSM by default, and I like the extra safety it gives me all in all.

On the RMS issue, please remember that for every person you hear with problems there is most likely 50 you dont hear about who do not have any issues. I talked to several Porsche mechanics and importers, and they all claimed the 996 to have less issues all in all than any previous Porsche. What is the thruth? *shrug* Most likely somewhere in between the 2. Just get a car with enough warranty on it to cover any issues you might have.

If the extra money is no problem, then I would certainly go for a 2002+ car with the 3.6 engine. A lot of great improvements over the 3.4 cars + they are well within warranty range still.

Good luck in your hunt - I for one have not regreted it yet for a second to switch to a 996
Old 07-17-2005 | 06:14 PM
Rick3452
Rennlist Member

Lo'
You will really enjoy the 911, but do not sell your 928, you will miss it. You need to have both!
Rick
Old 07-17-2005 | 07:07 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

there is no way you saw a 996 c4s for 30 or 40k unless it was a salvage car or stupid high miles. 2002 was the 1st year and they are still going for low 60s at the best.
Old 07-17-2005 | 08:04 PM
lorenolson888
Pro

I think they were c4 not sure about c4S... my bad... they made C4 in 99 right... but i think the price was like 32K for on I saw... and like 41K for another... the C4S has the bad *** looking body right is that different than the older C4 cars... I am seeing many of my neighbors commuting in turbos, and C4S etc.... crazy...

but I will defintely will not sell the 928s... I have been putting way too much $$$ and personal time to ever sell it... I put the time in and it only make sense to enjoy it... I love the body style and part of me wants a S4 or GT or GTS but I think by that time I should get a 996...

Please more opinions... and info... I live in the SF bay erea so when i go for it I should have plenty to choose from... glad to hear that there are some who own 928 and 996... it makes me want to join the club of those who just drive what they like...

LO

Quick Reply: Hi 996 peeps...