Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Engine Replacement Due to RMS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005 | 06:50 PM
Thomas Earle
5th Gear

Question 996 Engine Replacement Due to RMS?

Has anyone had to replace an entire 996 engine due to RMS failure? I am considering the purchase of a 2001 996 not under warranty and selling my 2001 Boxster S. The Boxster had RMS failure at 10,000 miles and the block was machined too large in the RMS area - entire engine was replaced under warranty! No subsequent leaks or problems but I can only imagine what the same repair would cost without warranty coverage on the 996. Is Porsche working with owners of 996 models that are out of warranty but continue to have RMS issues? The cost of an RMS repair doesn't bother me....buying an entire 996 engine does.
Old 07-17-2005 | 07:01 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

There has been a need for engine replacements for the same reason as yours. It has been on this forum that Porsche has paid all, part, or none of the cost depending on the situation. It sounds mostly that it depends on your dealer and if they are willing to fight for you. I for one am glad I purchase a CPO car. I just had rms replaced at 40K miles under warranty.
Old 07-17-2005 | 07:36 PM
Thomas Earle
5th Gear

Question

Jeff, thanks for your reply. I am just trying to understand the magnitude of this issue. Would it be safe to say that 996 engine replacement as a result of the machining problem is very rare and that most of the RMS issues are resolved by nothing more than RMS replacement(s). I know that the blocks are made by Kolbenschmidt but when I talked to a friend who worked for Kolbenschmidt, he told me they ship unmachined engine cases to Porsche and the machining in the RMS area is done by Porsche.
Old 07-17-2005 | 07:47 PM
Kirk S
Advanced

Default my CPO '02 C4S needed a new engine due to RMS right after i bought it at 25k miles

mckenna in norwalk (CA) did a flawless job replacing the engine. car is great now. zero issues. not a drop of any form of fluid anywhere (at 40k miles now).

the $ number i saw on the paper work i signed was $10,200 (you know, the warranty repair paperwork they quickly ****** away from you before giving you the copy that lacks the $ numbers?)

i don't know if that would have been my actual cost, or if that's a "dealer-only" special cost.

$10k's not cheap but it sure beats a new turbo motor. i've heard they cost around $40k.

you're probably rolling the dice on whether porsche would help you with an out-of-warranty car RMS-induced engine replacement.

if it was me, and i had a tiny oil leak (RMS) on an out of warranty car, i'd just ignore it and drive the wheels off it. my personal view is that RMS is more a problem for p-car owners' pristine garage floors than it is a real operational issue for the car...it's not like it's some kind of leading indicator that your motor's about to self-destruct.
Old 07-17-2005 | 08:18 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

if it was me, and i had a tiny oil leak (RMS) on an out of warranty car, i'd just ignore it and drive the wheels off it. my personal view is that RMS is more a problem for p-car owners' pristine garage floors than it is a real operational issue for the car...it's not like it's some kind of leading indicator that your motor's about to self-destruct.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, As long as my car is covered it will be leak free, however after the warranty expires, Its only small oil spots on the garage floor. I am at 27k (miles) and on my second one, It looks like i will be getting a new (reman) motor soon. Still doesnt stop me from loving driving this car.

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Replacement Due to RMS?