996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wheel center question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:10 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want the Boothe Designs spinners; but at $600 for the set I would rather have a guided fishing trip. gota 911 you are an asset to the board. You are always quick to reply with help and pics. I for one am glad yougota911. Not to say that others are not an asset; as with Chads sigs I will get around with the praise as time permits.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:50 AM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

I will definitely post pics -- though it may be a couple weeks before I can get them on because I will be traveling. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:22 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by StanSoph
I really want the Boothe Designs spinners; but at $600 for the set I would rather have a guided fishing trip. gota 911 you are an asset to the board. You are always quick to reply with help and pics. I for one am glad yougota911. Not to say that others are not an asset; as with Chads sigs I will get around with the praise as time permits.
John - Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it! I have learned a lot about P-cars in the last 4 months, most of it from this forum. I "leaned into" the knowledge base of a lot of other guys on this board early on, so if I think I can give back to someone else on the forum, I try to do so. Kind'a like "pay it forward."

BTW - I just replied to your 911 logo question with some info.

Also - how is the bikini line? Any progress?

Tim
Old 07-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Automotion.com has the plain Porsche Crest wheel caps for $17.98, part no. 993.361.303.05 Plastic-Dished W/ Black Crest. They also carry painted crests, and other options. A bargain!

Scott MacDonald
Old 07-05-2005, 10:25 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Originally Posted by gota911
John - Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it! I have learned a lot about P-cars in the last 4 months, most of it from this forum. I "leaned into" the knowledge base of a lot of other guys on this board early on, so if I think I can give back to someone else on the forum, I try to do so. Kind'a like "pay it forward."

BTW - I just replied to your 911 logo question with some info.

Also - how is the bikini line? Any progress?

Tim
The bikini line is slowly fading as I am "sunning" the car during the day.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:36 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott MacDonald
Automotion.com has the plain Porsche Crest wheel caps for $17.98, part no. 993.361.303.05 Plastic-Dished W/ Black Crest. They also carry painted crests, and other options. A bargain!

Scott MacDonald
Not ever close to a bargain (more like a rip-off) when you consider they sell the very crests he just bought for $125 are being sold by Automtion (aka Performance Products) for $59.95 each wheel!

PP sells Genuine stuff for more than you can get it at most dealers. For example, Park Place in Dallas has them on their website for $175 for a set of 4 and Suncoast has them on their site for $160.

Besides, you can't even give away the plastic grey and black ones.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:17 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Support our Rennlist Sponsors! Good ol' Gert at Carnewal has them for Euro 90 or about $107.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p97002.htm#

Old 07-07-2005, 12:28 AM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by programmatore
Support our Rennlist Sponsors! Good ol' Gert at Carnewal has them for Euro 90 or about $107.
Would have liked to support the sponsors -- I'm too new to the forum to know who they are. I'm happy with my purchase though -- the price is reasonable and I wanted the factory part. They should be here tomorrow or Friday, though I won't be able to put them in for a couple weeks.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:58 PM
peterp
Drifting

Well, it may be a couple more weeks before I have a photo. I tried to change them today and discovered my toolkit doesn't have the adaptor for the security lug -- I find this disappointing after having puruchased a Certified Pre-Owned car. My car has the jack and one tool set with the lug wrench, headlight wrench, ... When I look at the owners manual, it looks like the C4 should also have a compressor for the space saver tire and also another tool pouch -- not sure what's in it but is looks like it has an extra one from the OM picture. Does anybody know what tools should be in the front trunk for a C4 and where the security lug adaptor should be? Also, should there be a strap that holds all the tools down -- they seem to flop around the trunk at present. Maybe I should open another thread for this question, but I'll ask here first.

On the bright side, I was in France last week and saw my exact wheels with the crest centers installed and it looks much, much better. Currently, the wheels look bulky, but the crests make a big difference (to my eyes anyway).
Old 07-24-2005, 06:22 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

You don't need to take off the rims to change the centercaps, just take the "j" end of a coat hanger and it's easy. I've had several colored crests stolen off the car, and replacing them at $50 a pop thru the dealer sucks. I give up. So I just bought a set of plain black crest centers, only $60 from Porsche, can't beat that.
If any Rennlisters are interested I have 3 colored centercaps I'll sell for $75.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:57 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJ 996
You don't need to take off the rims to change the centercaps, just take the "j" end of a coat hanger and it's easy. I've had several colored crests stolen off the car, and replacing them at $50 a pop thru the dealer sucks. I give up. So I just bought a set of plain black crest centers, only $60 from Porsche, can't beat that.
If any Rennlisters are interested I have 3 colored centercaps I'll sell for $75.
The crest centers can be removed without taking the wheel off, but the current "Carrera 4" centers don't have the removal holes so I think I need to remove the tire to take off the old ones. I wish the crest centers were also solid -- I don't know they aren't since other Porsche centers are solid. I may try to seal the holes based upon your feedback, though I'm not sure it will be much of a deterent. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:43 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

My bad, I didn't realize the C4 centers were solid. Good luck with the colored centers, I tried to super glue the crests in place and they still stole them. My local dealer told me they sell about 50 colored crests per week .
Old 07-24-2005, 11:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ralph Boothe centers. Pricey at nearly $90 each but well worth it. They are anti-theft (bolt in on the inside) as well as jewelry for the car!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:30 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, I found the OEM ones to be pretty dang cheap. The aluminum crests faded in about a year. Also, some people have reported the crests have fallen out. The newer 997 ones posted above from the Carnewal website might be better, but I think they are too new for anyone to determine long-term durability. I was seriously considering the Boothe wheel centers until I figured out they won't fit my aftermarket wheels.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:30 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by arenared
Unfortunately, I found the OEM ones to be pretty dang cheap. The aluminum crests faded in about a year. Also, some people have reported the crests have fallen out. The newer 997 ones posted above from the Carnewal website might be better, but I think they are too new for anyone to determine long-term durability. I was seriously considering the Boothe wheel centers until I figured out they won't fit my aftermarket wheels.
Boothe is probably the way to go for most, but I was bent on having OEM centers so I put in some effort to try to resolve the issues. From the feedback here, the problem with the factory centers seems to be:

1. They are frequently stolen because they are so easy to remove
2. The crests fall off
3. The holes in the crests detract from the look

I machined down some standard bolts to fill the hole and used a nut on the back to fasten it. This improves the look significantly, makes it impossible for the crest to fall off, and (hopefully) prevents theft because the wheel needs to be remove to take them out. The after and before pictures are below along with a photo of the back:
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Wheel center question