Sponsored by:

Carrera Cabriolet vs. C6 Corvette Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 05:04 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Carrera Cabriolet vs. C6 Corvette Convertible

I am looking at purchasing a vehicle in about six months and I would appreciate some input from members of this forum. I have driven a 2002 ZO6, but I think that I would really like a convertible so I am considering a 2006C6. This would run around $62,000 not including ttl.

I have never driven in a Porsche, but from what I read, the handling and responsiveness is better. I am looking at getting a 911 cab for a daily driver and it looks like I can find a used one for around $70,000 which is at the top of what I want to spend, although $100,000 for a new CarreraS cab sure would be nice.

I am not going to race this car, so top speed, 0-60 times and other measures of extreme performance to the 0.1 sec really don't mean much to me. I am looking for a car that is "fun to drive" and puts a smile on my face. I'm just not sure of the mediocre finish on the inside of the vette. Any comments comparing what I am considering would be much appreciated.

One thing I have heard about on the Z06vette forum is that the cost for maintenance on the Porsche, even a simple oil change, can be quite expensive.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:35 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cab only, 996 cabs are way better than C6. 996 top is completely automatic that even latches onto the windshield header by itself. Do you really want to get out of the car, open the top cover, pull the top out, pull top to align with header, and latch manually after spending $60k? NO!! That's ridiculous for a high end car that's supposed to be sophisticated. Call me a softie but cabs should be automatic unless you are getting a Miata or Solstice.

A 02-03 cab are selling $60k or less. I bought mine for $57k last yr which was a great deal back then and a fair deal that can be found easily these days. 996 cabs are sitting in lots everywhere and you'll find one that's certified w over 2 yrs of additional warranty. Private party sells will still have some remaining warranty left.

* 02+ have rear glass, amongst other nice updates to exterior, interior, engine etc.
* get one w heated seats as it's over $1k to retrofit
* get Bose if you like OEM stereo

C6 seats suck imo. They feel like cheap matress w springs bottoms.

On maint, you should note that service every 15k at $300-500 isn't that bad. That includes not just oil change but other fluids/filters/plugs. If you are handy, you can DIY and save 2/3 of costs.

996 is a sophisticated automobile. C6 is has equal performance but you will have a car that is build around budget and cost rather than all out best hardware.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

C6 does have an option for a power top. But the manual top is easy to use.

I drive a C5 now, and have some seat time in both C6 and 911 cab. The Corvette is a well-engineered car that continues to be sub-standard where you spend most of your time....inside the car. For 20 years I didn't mind that, but after owning a BMW 540 along side my 2000 convertible my tastes have changed. Plus the exterior design of the C6 is a mess.....What, did Chris Bangle get some part-time work ......No wait, the genious behind the ASStek designed it

Then also, they make so many Corvettes a year it doesn't seem as special as it did in the old days (the mid-80s.....go **** Chun )

An '02 cab can be had for less than $60k with <25k miles, speed wise just short of my C5, but with better handling. Service is more expensive than a Corvette, but then again the dealer experience is better too.

Bottom line, the Corvette was great when I was making $50k......now, ummm no
Old 06-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Honestly you need to drive both to make the decision. In regards to the performance of the C6 is superior in my opinion but you trade reliability, finish quality and resale value. I couldn't believe the orange peel in the paint of brand new C6's when I checked them out...If you think the price of maintenance on the Porsche is expensive consider how much it will cost to actually replace failing parts on the C6. I know of at least one owner that has had his in the shop 6 times within the first 600 miles of ownership. Each time it was for a different issue...
Old 06-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're on a Porsche board, so the response will likely be somewhat biased...

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I know of at least one owner that has had his in the shop 6 times within the first 600 miles of ownership. Each time it was for a different issue...
I'm affraid PorscheBob may chime in with similar comments about his 996...
Old 06-27-2005, 06:53 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Well, obviously the Porsche is going to cost a lot more. So if I were you I'd drive both cars to make the determination if the Porsche is worth the extra $20K. Before you take the test drives, write down all of the features that are important to you. Examples could be the cars' performance, price, handling, options, styling, depreciation, Dealer service, etc. Weigh all of these items and others you come up with in terms of their importance to you, and then evaluate the cars.

Since you are the one shelling out the cash, it's important that you buy the car that's right for you. The one that your neighbor or coworker or Renlist poster prefers should be immaterial to your decision.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Thanks djantlive for some things that I didn't know about the 996 that was especially helpful. Of course, I would expect that this forum would have a bias towards the 996 because of the knowledge, experience and familiarity which is exactly why I posted this question here.

My next question is how can I test drive a 996? My local dealer doesn't have any used 996, but I imagine if I drive nearby to a larger dealer with some used cars available that I would be able to test drive one, I hope.

I am very impressed with the comments of those who posted and provided useful objective opinions and didn't start bashing on me for even thinking about the corvette. I think actually getting some chair time in a 996 will really make my decision easier.

The 15,000 mile service of around $400 isn't that bad since I probably will put around 10,000 to 12,000 mi./yr on car.

The resale on the Porsche is a strong consideration. Both are depreciable assets, but the rate of depreciation is much more on the corvette.

My neighbor has a C5 convertible that I could drive and I imagine the C6 is a little more refined drive than the C5 from what I have heard.

Thank you again for your comments and I certainly would appreciate anything that anyone else has to add as this is really a terrific forum!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:52 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 5 Corvette's before getting my first Porsche. The only thing I miss is the low end torque of the big V8. The Porsche is so much more fun to drive. I attribute most of this to the shorter turning radius. The Corvette is almost 40 ft. You really have to drive both to understand the difference. I also miss a Chevy dealer every 10 miles for easy access to parts.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:10 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, let's not Bob bash here. Let's all try to focus and persuade dmac in getting into a P car!

Ha ha, do a search on used 996 on autotrader, cars.com, ebay, dealer etc to see if you can find a copule of examples to test drive. C6 test drive should be easy. You may find a used 996 may need some top adjustment to rid of noises which is another reason you'll want one either certififed or has warranty remaining. Don't be discouraged if your first 996 test drive isn't perfect. Where do you live? Someone here may give you a ride too!

Between a used 996 and a new C6, I think you should find the 996 more refined and C6 slightly more capable. Picture yourself being seen in 996 cab. I couldn't see myself in a C6.

BTW, I was told that C6 top is not powered by an associate at a GM test drive event. They had 4 C6 cabs and none were powered. I know I shouldn't trust a sales/marketing person. That manual top was a little hard to latch into place too.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:25 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Thanks again djantlive. I live in the Asheville, NC in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina. I've only seen 1-2 996's in the one year I have been here, but I could make a drive to Charlotte or Atlanta to a dealership for a test drive.

You and the others are definitely right, the next step is to head to the dealer and test drive them. BTW, I've checked with the dealers and the power convertible top is available on the C6 (I think it is a $1900 option)

I went to our P dealer and there were no cars available to test drive, as they only had two and they were in the showroom. I did learn something that day and that was the a Boxter is out of the question. I could fit as a passenger, but at 6'4" there was no way that shifting that thing as a daily driver was ever possible, but plenty of leg room in the 996.

Thanks for the resale resources as well. The forum members look to be very helpful with modification questions. I am surprised for such a "complete" car off the showroom floor that there are so many modifications that can still be done. Thanks again for your assistance with my quest!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:02 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need or want a powered top on a Corvette. Trust me I've had 5 of them. The top goes up or down in 3 seconds, another 2 seconds to latch and you have beat the 996 cab by 5 seconds.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Dmac, I'm in Spartanburg, SC about an hour south on I26 if you want to go for a test drive. I recently purchased a 996 C4 and I considered the C6 as well. I know of another dealer in the area that has a couple of 996's also so there are plenty of options for you.

Shawn
Old 06-28-2005, 12:16 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based upon the price point where you are looking, definitely stay with an '02 or newer. Many changes and upgrades from the '01 and prior. Since you are new to this, you should be aware the Porsches are heavily option driven. Prices can vary widely based upon the options on the car. Under the hood there should be a white sticker with a bunch of codes on it. These are the options that were put on the car. You should do a fair amount of research as to which options are important to you and the look for a car with them. Don't be afraid to look far away. I found mine at a Porsche dealer in Rhode Island and had it shipped to CA. Certain options can be added after, but some, like self leveling litronics or PSM are difficult or impossible to add. Lastly, take your time - I spent four months looking before I found the right car.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Do you have a link that lists the differences between the 01-02 models? I don't mean to derail the conversation, hopefully this will help dmac as well.

Originally Posted by CLL ACAB
Based upon the price point where you are looking, definitely stay with an '02 or newer. Many changes and upgrades from the '01 and prior. Since you are new to this, you should be aware the Porsches are heavily option driven. Prices can vary widely based upon the options on the car. Under the hood there should be a white sticker with a bunch of codes on it. These are the options that were put on the car. You should do a fair amount of research as to which options are important to you and the look for a car with them. Don't be afraid to look far away. I found mine at a Porsche dealer in Rhode Island and had it shipped to CA. Certain options can be added after, but some, like self leveling litronics or PSM are difficult or impossible to add. Lastly, take your time - I spent four months looking before I found the right car.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the sales '02 brochure: ...headlight system derived from the 911 Turbo. More discreet is the careful reshaping of the front and rear fenders, bumpers and air dam. The result is 25% less lift in the front and 40% less lift at the rear for improved high speed stability.... Reinforcements to the body structure have resulted in a 25% increase in torsional rigidity for crisper response and enhanced agility. The standard 17" wheels weigh almost eight pounds less than the previous design, while the optional 18" wheels are lighter by over 24 pounds. The front air ducts have been reshaped to increase the flow of cooling air to the radiators by 15%"

You also get 20 more HP, a glove box, better cup holders and a glass rear window in the cab. I test drove a number of cars and spent a few $$ more for an '02. You could definitely tell the difference when you drive them back to back.

Quick Reply: Carrera Cabriolet vs. C6 Corvette Convertible