Sponsored by:

Track Test of Stock Porsche Carrera Wing

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 03:03 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Track Test of Stock Porsche Carrera Wing

As many of you know, I installed the stock Carrera rear wing and the front lip spoiler on my Targa in order to gain a little stability at triple digit speeds on the track. Before the wing, I felt like the car became a little "light," but not unstable, at speeds above 110. I had the car on the track at Watkins Glen for the first time since installing the wing. By the end of the weekend, I was hitting speeds of approximately 125-135 at the end of the back straight right before the bus stop (I would look and see 125 before I got too close to the braking zone, but then I would focus again on the job at hand so I am not certain how much above 125 I actually hit). I am happy to say that the car felt much more planted. As with all mods, there is a chance that part of this is psychological, but I honestly felt like the wing did its job, and did it well. Unnecessary for the street because you can't tell a difference until you hit triple digits (unless you are buying for aesthetic reasons), a nice, but not crucial, upgrade for the track. I don't regret my decision. At the risk of being called a picture *****, here are the pics of the wing and lip for anyone who might have missed it.
Attached Images        

Last edited by TD in DC; 06-27-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the wing

The Misha GT2 is a bit extreme for my car (due to colour and usage - i.e. not a race car) and the aerokit one is not really to my taste

where did you get it and huch much to paint/get it fitted?
Old 06-27-2005, 03:37 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

very nice.. i'm curious in the cost and quality of the install as well..
Old 06-27-2005, 03:50 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's always nice when a mod works out. I don't think you are imagining the improvement but you are probably giving the wrong end credit. The 996 gets light at speed because of air going under the car. It was most likely the little lip that did the trick. I know this because we hit 155 on our front straight and my 99 would get way light. Adding just a front spoiler dramatically improved it. Adding the wing later didn't really have much impact.

It looks great though.
Jim
Old 06-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

TD, the wing looks great on your targa,..the lines go together well. Great to hear it's functional as well. You are really getting into this DE thing, that's a lot of events you are doing. I've only got 9-10 planned for this year . Do you have any mid-ohio events for the remainder of this year, I think I have 4 more planned for M-O. Have you purchased the track 944 yet,..
Jeeva
Old 06-27-2005, 04:42 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

P-Car Fanatic and redduck 996: Thanks. The rear wing is an exact OEM carrera wing replica that I purchased from MASHAW for approx $1000. I purchased the matching front lip (which fits on +02 cars only) directly from Porsche for $50 (In order to get the equivalent rear wing + front lip from Porsche would cost $2,700). I had it painted and installed for $500.

JimB: Thanks for the confirmation. I always viewed the two as a combination, but you may be right about the front. In any event, the car felt absolutely fantastic.

Jeeva: Thanks. I have fit in about 19 days this year already, and I plan to run the remaining Potomac events plus the NNJR VIR event if I get in. I am addicted, and I return back to Watkins Glen next weekend already. I left my car there. And yes, I bought the 944. After next weekend, my 996 will be retired from the track, and the 944 will make its debut at Shenandoah . . . I can't wait!
Old 06-27-2005, 04:42 PM
eddie081
Advanced

That wing looks awsome, is it OEM or aftermarket?

Doe it still retain the factory hydro wing movement?

TIA
Old 06-27-2005, 04:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by eddie081
That wing looks awsome, is it OEM or aftermarket?

Doe it still retain the factory hydro wing movement?

TIA
Thanks!

It is an aftermarket exact replica of the OEM Carrera wing. The wing is fixed and does not move or adjust in any way (you remove the entire stock spoiler with motor when you install the Carrera wing).
Old 06-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Jeeva: Thanks. I have fit in about 19 days this year already, and I plan to run the remaining Potomac events plus the NNJR VIR event if I get in. I am addicted, and I return back to Watkins Glen next weekend already. !
O.K, now I can breath a little bit better I don't want you to be too far ahead of me with all this extra seat time, But, I will be doing around ~ 21 days total for this year,..not too far off. But, again with your 944 I don't have to worry about it after all
Old 06-27-2005, 06:25 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by jeeva
O.K, now I can breath a little bit better I don't want you to be too far ahead of me with all this extra seat time, But, I will be doing around ~ 21 days total for this year,..not too far off. But, again with your 944 I don't have to worry about it after all
I have so much to learn that I don't think anyone has anything to worry about me for a long time. But . . . keep in mind that I will be focusing on momentum driving and car control in the '944 . . . there was a reason why I decided to lose over half of my horses. Someday, you will need to be afraid, very afraid. Until then, I will be exercising my point-by signal
Old 06-27-2005, 07:02 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have so much to learn that I don't think anyone has anything to worry about me for a long time. But . . . keep in mind that I will be focusing on momentum driving and car control in the '944 . . . there was a reason why I decided to lose over half of my horses. Someday, you will need to be afraid, very afraid. Until then, I will be exercising my point-by signal
who needs a 944 to learn momentum driving? i keep hearing that the 996 is underpowered anyway (just talk to the TT and gt3 owners). :P your 996 is already a momentum car.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:09 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by karlooz
who needs a 944 to learn momentum driving? i keep hearing that the 996 is underpowered anyway (just talk to the TT and gt3 owners). :P your 996 is already a momentum car.
In that case, just wait till I start passing some of you while I am in the '44. Don't think I won't let that go by without comment. Think about it. I will have the best of both worlds. If someone passes me, I can say "What do you expect, I only have 158 hp?" If I pass someone, I can say "I am clearly a better driver because you have 325 hp!" Be afraid, be really afraid
Old 06-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Would that wing and spoiler lip work on a 99'?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:37 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by c70Pete
Would that wing and spoiler lip work on a 99'?
Yes, the rear wing would work. The front lip would not. The front lip is the only difference between the OEM Carrera Wing kit for early and late model 996s (the front lip snaps into place in the +02 stock front bumpers -- I assume the earlier model bumpers do not have the necessary slots).
Old 06-27-2005, 07:40 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

In that case, just wait till I start passing some of you while I am in the '44. Don't think I won't let that go by without comment. Think about it. I will have the best of both worlds. If someone passes me, I can say "What do you expect, I only have 158 hp?" If I pass someone, I can say "I am clearly a better driver because you have 325 hp!" Be afraid, be really afraid

OK dude, no excuses from you with that kinda talk

i fully expect underpowered cars to pass me. just this passed weekend i let 914s, 944s and 993s by at buttonwillow on the warm up lap but once the tires were warm, i was in their rear window and they had to let me pass. OK chest beating over, just kidding around . this all meant nothing since i was in the yellow run group anyway :O

Quick Reply: Track Test of Stock Porsche Carrera Wing