996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Noises when backing up.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005 | 10:59 AM
rval_1999
Instructor

Default Noises when backing up.......

There are two (2) seperate noises that this car (1999 C2) makes that are killing me:

1. When the car is going backwards (whether in reverse gear or just drifting with motor on/off, clutch in/out) it makes a clicking sound, almost as if something is caught in a "wheel spoke", but it only makes the noise going backwards not forward.

2. The steering wheel seems to have some "play" maybe at the firewall area, it makes an irritating "pinging" noise every so often (especially in highspeed turns).

Any suggestions for a fix for either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

RVP
Old 06-24-2005 | 03:44 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

I have this beeping noise when I back up, it seems to be comming from little holes in my rear bump...oh wait a minute....never mind.
Old 06-24-2005 | 06:36 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

1) Clutch wear is my first guess......

2) at the bottom of your steering shaft you have a little piece of plastic that surrounds the teeth, if this plastic item is damaged, cracked, missing then you may experience some play..... Sorry I don't have a part number for this item and I'm not sure if Porsche offers it off the shaft.....

-Eli
Old 06-28-2005 | 10:01 AM
rval_1999
Instructor

David Michael- Ha ha....

Eli- 1) This noises happes whether or not the clutch is pressed/unpressed, gear is engaged or unengaged.... still think clutch (ps- am told clutch feels "new" car has 26k miles).

2) That has to be it...... I will investigate, however, where do I look (ie-at firewall, behind dash, etc) for the culprit??

Thanks
Old 06-28-2005 | 01:30 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately if it is that plastic part I'm speaking of the whole darn steering column needs to come out (if my memory serves me correct they don't have a break in the knuckle and if they do it's not on all years).... I know "A lot of work"..... That's really the only thing I could think of, feel free to consult with someone local who can take a look at it first-hand....

-Eli
Old 06-28-2005 | 09:35 PM
42empress
Racer

Sound like a CV joint, went through3 of them on an old saab turbo. But I really Don't know if our cars have these?
Old 10-25-2006 | 03:57 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I hear the same clicking noise on my 99 c4, either backing up or going forward. Fortunately it is only when the car is cold on the initial take off, goes away right away.

I played around with the clutch pedal when I hear the noise, the noise goes away when I depress the clutch, comes back when I release the clutch.

I also wonder what's causing it.
Old 10-26-2006 | 09:02 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

RVP, the first thing that you should do is get a friend/wife/significant other to drive the car and replicate the problem while you are outside 'listening' from where the clicking emanates. I guess what we're looking for is whether it is coming from the wheels/wheel wells, the engine, the transmission, etc (you get the idea). Then, once you have pinpointed the source, come back here and post it. That should help a lot of the tech gurus here give you a better idea of how to proceed.

Quick Reply: Noises when backing up.......