996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

H&R Damper failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been waiting for two days already for TireRack to get a part number and tell me they're sending me a replacement..... No word so far.....
Old 06-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

I finally heard from TireRack today. They found the part number, and they're going to charge me $460 for the ONE damper. Once I install the new one, I send them back the leaking one and IF they determine that it is a warranty issue, they'll refund the $460 (less shipping).

On top of that, I have to wait for them to get the damper from H&R - they won't open up a kit and send me one from their stock.

I am SOOO over this bull**** that I will never EVER use H&R stuff again. For that matter, I don't think TireRack handled this issue very well either, so they're not getting a Christmas card this year either.....
Old 06-13-2005, 04:13 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Why didn't you tell me this 5 years ago when I got my first H&R kit? What would you recommend for a coilover kit then, the Bilstein PSS9? I wish there were more options out there. I don't need all the adjustability that the PSS9 gives you...but I do want reliability. When my current suspension needs replacement, you can bet I won't be going with H&R...

if you are concerned about the durability of h&rs dampers than you should worry about bilsteins as well. i was told, by a bilstein tech, that they made the dampers for h&r and h&r made the springs for bilstein. i , however, am not saying that they are EXACTLY alike.

the universal opinion about h&R is that their service SUCKS THE BIG ONE!!! at least bilstein's service is A1. i won't be replacing my h&r coilovers with another set, that's for sure.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by karlooz
i was told, by a bilstein tech, that they made the dampers for h&r and h&r made the springs for bilstein.
That used to be the case, but not anymore. I was told by H&R that Bilstein does NOT make the dampers for them - they make their own. Last time one of my H&R dampers leaked, I tried to get Bilstein to rebuild it for me, as I had heard the same thing about them manufacturing them for H&R, buy they wouldn't do it for liability reasons.

The thing with Bilstein is that they have much better customer service. Nobody makes perfect components 100% of the time, but they can sure treat their customers properly when things go wrong. I don't feel that I have been treated appropriately this time around ESPECIALLY considering the fact that I had one fail less than a year ago.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:08 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

That used to be the case, but not anymore. I was told by H&R that Bilstein does NOT make the dampers for them - they make their own. Last time one of my H&R dampers leaked, I tried to get Bilstein to rebuild it for me, as I had heard the same thing about them manufacturing them for H&R, buy they wouldn't do it for liability reasons.

The thing with Bilstein is that they have much better customer service. Nobody makes perfect components 100% of the time, but they can sure treat their customers properly when things go wrong. I don't feel that I have been treated appropriately this time around ESPECIALLY considering the fact that I had one fail less than a year ago.
next time i'll be going bilstein or jic (just to be different), jrz if i have a good tax return and moton if i win the lottery
Old 06-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Signal-9
Advanced

just wondering.. why are these shocks all oil filled? I thought gas shocks were much much better.. I have gas filled billsteins on my 4x4 and they are fantastic, and totally user rebuildable, and adjustable. I ran oil filled before then and they wore out after only a few months. oil shocks dont have the same exoansion pressure (if any) that gas produces from my experience.

Is there some reason that the 911 shocks are all using oil?

Also re:$.. I have gas filled remote reservoirs from billstein and they are only about $170 each.. how on earth are the 911 shock so expensive when they are so much simpler in design?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Bilstein aftermarket Sports are gas shocks and the valving is technically identical to X74 dampers with a whole set priced at under $800.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:34 AM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

JIC JIC JIC JIC JIC...never had a failure on 5 different cars under many daily driving and track racing scenarios. Best coilovers I have ever owned....
Old 06-14-2005, 06:31 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

if you are concerned about the durability of h&rs dampers than you should worry about bilsteins as well. i was told, by a bilstein tech, that they made the dampers for h&r and h&r made the springs for bilstein. i , however, am not saying that they are EXACTLY alike.
I think this might be like comparing OE with OEM, the manufacturer is the same but not much else...
Old 06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Signal-9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Re-animator
Bilstein aftermarket Sports are gas shocks and the valving is technically identical to X74 dampers with a whole set priced at under $800.

thought so... that makes a whole lot more sense to me..
Old 06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Re-animator
Would those shocks be a direct swap out with my H&R kit? Could I use my H&R springs with them?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:49 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would those shocks be a direct swap out with my H&R kit? Could I use my H&R springs with them?
nah, the sports/HD shocks are the oem replacement shocks and are not threaded body. they have the spring perch which alows use of oem springs. NOT replacements for coilovers . i wonder if you could just buy the pss9 threaded body shocks. hmmm.....
Old 06-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

i wonder if you could just buy the pss9 threaded body shocks. hmmm.....
I'm going to phone up Bilstein today and see what they have to say. I'll report back... Stay tuned...
Old 06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Re-animator
Racer

No. I was just suggesting another potential solution that would leave you worry free. If you are potentially content with the drop of RoW M030s; then for $172 you could get the spring set as well. It appears that sticking with the current setup has led and will lead to more serial failures. Just $.02, but the $1000 I spent for the warranty safe set up is only complimented by the lifetime warranty of the parts themselves.

"Of all a vehicle's suspension components, nothing works harder than the shock absorbers, making it critical to pick the right ones. Bilstein Gas Pressurized Shock Absorbers are the least expensive, fastest way, to dramatically improve the ride, handling and control of a vehicle. Plus with Bilstein's aftermarket lifetime warranty*, you can be assured they're built to last." (from the Bilstein website)
Old 06-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Well, the H&R stuff is guaranteed for life as well.....and when it isn't leaking, it feels and performs just the way I like it. I'm just going to get this one damper replaced under warranty. When the time comes to replace my suspension in about 50,000 miles, I will switch to Bilstein's coilover kit. But then again, I may just sell the car before that happens.

I called Bilstein and asked about swapping out the shocks with my kit, but they had no idea if that would work....

Quick Reply: H&R Damper failure