Sponsored by:

Safety Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeeva,

The roll bars you installed do seem to condemn your back seat right ? Furthermore, do the GT3 seat lift forward to grant access to the rear ?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Can I quote your safety review as a good reason when I show up home with another Porsche and my wife goes postal ???
Damn straight. Honey, you care about my safety right? How can she say no?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mbergeron
Jeeva,

The roll bars you installed do seem to condemn your back seat right ? Furthermore, do the GT3 seat lift forward to grant access to the rear ?
The gt3 seats do not fold, you could only move them forward and back.

Yes, the rear seats are not usable with DAS bolt-on roll bar, but from a previous thread someone had mentioned a porsche tequipment bar with no cross beams, which may allow the use of back seat, but I can't imagine how. Also, it would'nt work with gt3 seats, so you have to at least have the passenger seats stock to gain entry. (a word of caution, some pca clubs like allegheny PCA requires the same seats and harness for driver and instructor)

All my safety mods. are totally reversible, so I can make my car stock with no marks left behind. I was even able to get the carpet piece covering the rear suspension which need to be removed (thanks to Austin at Devek, a site sponsor) so I saved the stock one and cut the one I bought .

P.S: All these safety mods. don't come cheap....the leather gt3 seats, Das bar, 6-point schroth harness, safecraft fir extinguisher, all the little attachements needed, H&N restraint and labor adds up to about ~$7,000. There are cheaper seats, fire extinguisher etc., but this is safety in style.

Last edited by Sanjeevan; 06-09-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:13 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeeva
The rear seats do not fold, you could only move them forward and back.

Yes, the rear seats are not usable with DAS bolt-on roll bar, but from a previous thread someone had mentioned a porsche tequipment bar with no cross beams, which may allow the use of back seat, but I can't imagine how. Also, it would'nt work with gt3 seats, so you have to at least have the passenger seats stock to gain entry.

All my safety mods. are totally reversible, so I can make my car stock with no marks left behind. I was even able to get the carpet piece covering the rear suspension which need to be removed (thanks to Austin at Devek, a site sponsor) so I saved the stock one and cut the one I bought .
hey jeeva,

how did you mount your 6 points? cradle style, where you sit on the sub strap with the straps mounted at the lap belt points, or sub straps thru the sub hole mounted onto a bk sub cross bar?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by karlooz
hey jeeva,

how did you mount your 6 points? cradle style, where you sit on the sub strap with the straps mounted at the lap belt points, or sub straps thru the sub hole mounted onto a bk sub cross bar?
sub strap through the sub hole and attached to the bk sub bar..., a word of caution, the bk sub-mount that also mounts to the fire extinguisher has a nice hole where you can just clip the sub belts, however the porsche tequipment sub bar that I bought for the driver's side (this is cheaper than the BK, and I am not mounting the fire extinguisher on the driver's side) does not have the hole, my mechanic did not want to drill a hole and jeopordize the strength, so he removed the buckle and attached the sub-belts looping around the bar like how the shoulder belts would loop around the roll bar.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:36 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

sub strap through the sub hole and attached to the bk sub bar..., a word of caution, the bk sub-mount that also mounts to the fire extinguisher has a nice hole where you can just clip the sub belts, however the porsche tequipment sub bar that I bought for the driver's side (this is cheaper than the BK, and I am not mounting the fire extinguisher on the driver's side) does not have the hole, my mechanic did not want to drill a hole and jeopordize the strength, so he removed the buckle and attached the sub-belts looping around the bar like how the shoulder belts would loop around the roll bar.

thx jeeva. how are your lap belts mounted?

i have a sparco evo2 seat w/bk side mounts. the bk side mounts allow for the usage of the stock belt buckle along with a bk eyelet to be mounted on the tunnel side, bk side mount/rail (for when you don't want to use a harness). i will be mounting the outside lap belt to the stock belt points and i am wondering if there is another location to mount the tunnel side lap belt.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:41 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Jeeva, Is the DAS bar easy to remove between track events?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

thx jeeva. how are your lap belts mounted?

i have a sparco evo2 seat w/bk side mounts. the bk side mounts allow for the usage of the stock belt buckle along with a bk eyelet to be mounted on the tunnel side, bk side mount/rail (for when you don't want to use a harness). i will be mounting the outside lap belt to the stock belt points and i am wondering if there is another location to mount the tunnel side lap belt.

I am not exactly sure what your question is, it sounds like you would like to know how my tunnel side or internal lap belts are mounted. I am also using BK mounts, which allows for both the stock 3-point and the schroth 6-point belts to be mounted together. When I am not using the 6-point, it can be stored away (like shown in the picture), I took various angles of the internal BK mounting point to which the internal lap belts (both 3 and 6 point) are mounted. Hope it helps, if you have any further qustions, don't hesitate to ask.

I got all of these from Austin at Devek (site sponsor), great guy and very helpful, I'll recommend him for anyone who is interested in a similar setup.

EDIT: It sounds like you have a similar setup, why would you want to mount the tunnel side lap belt to a different location ?
Attached Images       

Last edited by Sanjeevan; 06-09-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DJ 996
Jeeva, Is the DAS bar easy to remove between track events?
In my case, NO...infact my mechanic said he is dreading the day I may want it out as he had to hammer it in place, and thinks it may be very difficult to remove. But, others have said they could do it in this forum, but will need the removal of both seats, atleast a couple of hours of back breaking labor.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:31 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Thanks, I was afraid it wouldn't be that simple.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Default What a great thread

I too just did the GT3 seats, the European Porsche Techquipment bar and harness. The shop that did the install races Porsches and they convinced me to go for the Euro bar. The bar arrived a little out of shape and the install was a nightmare taking 2 mechanics all day. I only weigh just shy of 160 lbs and those Gt3 seats are one size fits all and they fit me like a glove. I don't really understand how a significantly larger person would actually fit in those seats. Well I used the car last week at a DE event and the seats make the entire experience so much easier because you're not holding on to the steering wheel for dear life.
Oh and BTW I also got the seat back braces for the roll bar so if I hit something going backwards the seats won't break in half. That's another thing to consider.
I am relieved to see my fellow posters concentrating on safety.
Safe Driving to all.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:12 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am not exactly sure what your question is, it sounds like you would like to know how my tunnel side or internal lap belts are mounted. I am also using BK mounts, which allows for both the stock 3-point and the schroth 6-point belts to be mounted together. When I am not using the 6-point, it can be stored away (like shown in the picture), I took various angles of the internal BK mounting point to which the internal lap belts (both 3 and 6 point) are mounted. Hope it helps, if you have any further qustions, don't hesitate to ask.

I got all of these from Austin at Devek (site sponsor), great guy and very helpful, I'll recommend him for anyone who is interested in a similar setup.

EDIT: It sounds like you have a similar setup, why would you want to mount the tunnel side lap belt to a different location ?
LOL! i asked you in the first line how did you mount your lap belts then i went on yammering, HAHAHA.

thx dude. pictures are worth a thousand words and it looks like i will be setting it up just like you. just was wondering if there was a better tunnel side anchor point. i wasn't sure of the mount on the bk slider was sturdy enough.

damn, devek is only a few minutes away and never thought of getting the hardware from them.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

I only weigh just shy of 160 lbs and those Gt3 seats are one size fits all and they fit me like a glove.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

LOL! i asked you in the first line how did you mount your lap belts then i went on yammering, HAHAHA.

thx dude. pictures are worth a thousand words and it looks like i will be setting it up just like you. just was wondering if there was a better tunnel side anchor point. i wasn't sure of the mount on the bk slider was sturdy enough.

damn, devek is only a few minutes away and never thought of getting the hardware from them.

O.K now I get it, my tunnel side lap belts are not directly connected to the "seat slider rail",...there are BK mounts (the bright silver one in picture #3) that mount to the "seat slider rail" and the 3-point and 6-point attaches to the same BK mount. My gt3 seats came with the "seat slider rail" which just bolted on. It may be different for you, yeah! Austin had done several of these and an excellent source for you, tell him I sent you there...
cheers
Jeeva
Old 06-10-2005, 01:08 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, i guess with your instructors rationale, a lot of boxster owners would be killed. the roll hoops on the boxster are closer to the head than a roll bar would be with a 996.

actually, my head is closer to the roof frame (which joins the a-pillar and b-pillar) than the roll bar.

i think it all is height dependent as well. the taller you are the closer you are to the roll bar AND the roof frame. actually a tall person's head might be right beside the b-pillar. might as well pad it then, huh?...
(Caution one persons opinion mixed with some facts to follow)

The Boxster bar and seat are designed to work together and rearward movement is limited by the firewall as it also is in a 914. Watch a video of a rear end impact and you will be stunned at how stock and many race seats flex and or fail. As the seat is failing and the car is moving forward the occupant is not and impacts into anything that is behind them. The seat is also only as good as the mount. Race seats mounted on the little stock bolts and sliders are not much if any better than stock with regards to a full on failure.

Soft roll bar padding is worthless for anything other than nuisance head dings while crawling around in the car. Period. The hard SFI stuff is the material to use but it only works with helmets not naked head. Roll bars are unsafe for heads. The shape of round pipes is very good at cracking skulls compared to flat surfaces. G for G hitting you head on a pipe will cause more damage than say, the side glass. If Elly May is going to hit me on the head for coming home late and drunk, make it the frying pan and not the pump handle.

The roll bar will add safety when you are on the track. The majority of this is coming from it being a great place to attach harnesses. On the street given the unlikelihood of a roof crushing impact but the far more prevalent chance of a mid to high G impact without intrusion the roll bar will not truly add to your protection unless you are in yotr 5 or 6 point system and are protected from hitting it. The down side being that most stock seats are not enough protection.

Quick Reply: Safety Equipment