Sponsored by:

AMP swap questions....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
rval_1999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMP swap questions....

Now I know that the stereo in my 99 C2 w/HiFi is garbage, was wondering if anyone had done a "amp swap" only with either a newer Bose amp (from the 02+) or an after market amp with speaker level inputs (like the Pioneer). The OEM is 6 X 40 watts (in a tin can, junk.....sorry) wondering if it is feasible to do this without any other MAJOR wiring.....

Point is, the OEM speakers seem OK, I think they just lack sufficient power. Thoughts??

RVP
Old 06-08-2005, 03:34 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rval_1999
Now I know that the stereo in my 99 C2 w/HiFi is garbage, was wondering if anyone had done a "amp swap" only with either a newer Bose amp (from the 02+) or an after market amp with speaker level inputs (like the Pioneer). The OEM is 6 X 40 watts (in a tin can, junk.....sorry) wondering if it is feasible to do this without any other MAJOR wiring.....

Point is, the OEM speakers seem OK, I think they just lack sufficient power. Thoughts??

RVP
I had the hi-fi package on my 2000 C2 Cab. The speakers are crap. Putting an aftermarket amp will only amplify the crappiness of the speakers.

My recommendation is to upgrade the speakers if you're going to upgrade the amp. I went with Focal speakers and just love them. Nice highs and lows and great mid-range. I put a pair of Focal Polyglass 100V2 2-ways in the dash, a pair of Focal Utopia 5wS for the doors and a pair of Focal Access 100CA for the rears -- all using the factory grills (yes, they fit nicely). www.focal-america.com
Old 06-08-2005, 06:30 PM
thanatos69
Intermediate

I agree with programmatore on this. Get replacement speakers first. The entire audio system is only as good as its weakest point, in this case the speakers. The amp and the head unit actually produce fairly clean sound. However the speakers that Porsche used are not the greatest for sound reproduction.

I'm using a stock CDR-220 without the amp and it sounds 'ok' for now. I'm starting off with replacing the stock speakers with some Infinity's. Some time after that I'll upgrade to an aftermarket amp and then round the system off with a custom cabinet for a pair of 8 inch subs.

Richard
Old 06-04-2011, 05:08 PM
drho2004
1st Gear

Hello, I too have a 2000 996 Cabriolet with the hi-fi sound package. I agree the speakers are crap and that is the first thing i am going to go change out. I have a contact with Alpine and I would like to go with them as i can get a really good deal with them. Now since i am going to be changing out the speakers i wondered if it was an easy 'swap' to take out that Nokia amp and put in its place something a bit more 'robust' from say Alpine. But i do not really want to cut stuff, or 'make it fit'. basically, has anyone done a direct swap of that Nokia unit with something of similar size? thanks!

Quick Reply: AMP swap questions....