Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is a replacement engine a bad or good thing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:54 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It wouldn't bother me in the least.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:08 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I was going to have a little plate made with the original engine S/N on it to place over the remanufactured engines number. That should get me through Pebble Beach OK.

The other plus here is that with the engine out of the car, I can clean and wax the inside of the engine bay much easier than with the engine installed.

lol!

sheesh! how can you get you engine any cleaner? i've seen pics or your engine and it is spotless. no cosmoline, grime, etc can be found.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

As a former Toyota guy and a new owner of a C4 it's really hard for me to believe that you guys think these sorts of problems are acceptable. I suppose most of you figure there isn't much to be done, but that an engine would only last 50k before replacment is a very foreign concept to me. I guess I was spoiled when I hit 200k miles on my turbo charged Toyota engine and neither burned nor leaked oil...I'm sure I'll get a response or two suggesting I go back to Toyota if I love it so much and I'm not here to bash the 911 (as I said I'm a new owner), but it's just strikes me as odd what people are willing to accept and hear from their dealer of a high end car.

PS--I just replaced my RMS last week.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Re-animator
Racer

FWIW, my old engine was .05mm out of spec; therefore, it would be impossible for Porsche to stop a potential RMS with that data. The first motor ran fine. There solution was to give me a new motor, since the remanufactured ones were all out as my car was on the lift at the dealer. BTW, Toyota consultants are the reason we have M96 engines that are so cheap to build as compared to the 993 motors. It is Toyota's fault.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
As a former Toyota guy and a new owner of a C4 it's really hard for me to believe that you guys think these sorts of problems are acceptable. I suppose most of you figure there isn't much to be done, but that an engine would only last 50k before replacment is a very foreign concept to me. I guess I was spoiled when I hit 200k miles on my turbo charged Toyota engine and neither burned nor leaked oil...I'm sure I'll get a response or two suggesting I go back to Toyota if I love it so much and I'm not here to bash the 911 (as I said I'm a new owner), but it's just strikes me as odd what people are willing to accept and hear from their dealer of a high end car.

PS--I just replaced my RMS last week.
I don't think rear main seal leaks are that uncommon among any engine, especially aluminum block ones. I had a 300Zx that had this exact same problem and had to have its RMS replaced 3 times. Ford just recalled all of its Ford GTs because of this problem, and there are other aluminum engined cars that have had this issue as well. I think that these Porsche engines with the RMS leak would easily run 200K just fine except for this leak. My car is very strong, except it leaks oil.

Toyota has some very reliable engines, most are cast iron blocks and by the nature of the type of material used, tend not to have as many RMS issues like these. I think that Porsche has done the right thing with stepping up and replacing the entire engine module is need be.

I don't know if this is widely known, but all products such as cars have a warranty cost of service built-in to the price that a manufacturer sells its product for. So part of the premium we pay for these cars is used to pay for these warranty claims.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Just came back from Stevens Creek Porsche, and they already had a replacement engine ready to install.

The old engine looked like it was leaking pretty good.

The IMS seal looks like it has been redesigned on the new engine, and I would hope that the RMS hole in the crankcase is machined better this time. The car is expected to be ready tonight, so we will see how it goes.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:38 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Just came back from Stevens Creek Porsche, and they already had a replacement engine ready to install.
It is a thing of beauty, though, isn't it?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:48 PM
sqlb
Track Day

The engine on my 03 C2 was replaced 2 weeks ago (19K on original engine). So far the car is running great.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Default The new engine is a 2005 M960!

The car came back yesterday with the new motor installed, and there are several subtle differences in if from my other M960 engine. First off, the part description for the motor is "L 05 996 Carrera" which describes a motor for a 2005 Carrera. This is good. I saved the build sheet that came with the motor, and it has an assembly date of March 11, 2005. The Part number of the engine indicates that this is an engine for exchange, but the S/N of the engine does not seem to indicated that this is a rebuilt engine. Does anyone know what field in the Engine Serial Number indicates a new or rebuilt engine?

The other thing I have noticed on the new engine is that all of the fastener bolts have torx heads on them instead of hex heads. When the engine was installed, the old air conditioning compressor, catalytic converters, mufflers, and surprise, the serpentine drive belt, were moved over to the new engine. It came from the factory with a full sump of oil.

The starter now sounds like a Ferrari starter, kind of a small high pitched whine when it starts.

Performance is good, and the VarioCam surge is completely gone. This was an annoyance on the old engine. The engine was already broken in on a test bench, so I would hope that this one will be solid.

I'm gonna change the oil at 45K miles to get the maintenance of the engine in sync with the car.

Stevens Creek Porsche and their crack team of Porsche mechanics did a great job doing the swap.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:18 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I'm confused. Isn't an '05 Carrera a 997?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by leedav
I'm confused. Isn't an '05 Carrera a 997?
There are still some 05 996s being made, like the C4s, and doesn't the regular 997 Carrera still have the M960 engine in it?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:52 PM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orient Express
The car came back yesterday with the new motor installed, and there are several subtle differences in if from my other M960 engine. First off, the part description for the motor is "L 05 996 Carrera" which describes a motor for a 2005 Carrera. This is good. I saved the build sheet that came with the motor, and it has an assembly date of March 11, 2005. The Part number of the engine indicates that this is an engine for exchange, but the S/N of the engine does not seem to indicated that this is a rebuilt engine. Does anyone know what field in the Engine Serial Number indicates a new or rebuilt engine?

The other thing I have noticed on the new engine is that all of the fastener bolts have torx heads on them instead of hex heads. When the engine was installed, the old air conditioning compressor, catalytic converters, mufflers, and surprise, the serpentine drive belt, were moved over to the new engine. It came from the factory with a full sump of oil.

The starter now sounds like a Ferrari starter, kind of a small high pitched whine when it starts.

Performance is good, and the VarioCam surge is completely gone. This was an annoyance on the old engine. The engine was already broken in on a test bench, so I would hope that this one will be solid.

I'm gonna change the oil at 45K miles to get the maintenance of the engine in sync with the car.

Stevens Creek Porsche and their crack team of Porsche mechanics did a great job doing the swap.
I believe that there is an "X" or something of the like behind the serial number of a remanufactured engine.

When I had my engine replacement, I got the same thing save for mine was 04 (My build date was 1/19/04 - which coinsidently, is my birthday). There was a bunch of changes made to these engines in the design and casting especially it seems. I'm surprised that you don't have the vario cam surge, I still do, but that might be the difference between the L05 and L04.

I've gone one year with no further problems (leaks). I wasn't holding my breath for a time, but I think things are going to work out. Looks like no further oil drop tattoos for me.

PS Mine is not remanufactured, I actually got a brand spanking new motor.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:57 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Can you see the number anywhere w/o dismantling the car?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:25 PM
RobynC
Pro

Default Old vs. New

Old Motor (QUIZ - Anyone notice anything else wrong in this picture besides the oily residue around the crank?)

New Motor
Old 06-10-2005, 02:26 PM
RobynC
Pro

Originally Posted by leedav
Can you see the number anywhere w/o dismantling the car?
I believe so...put your car on a lift...and I think it's on a flat piece somewhere on the drivers side. But, I'm sure it's elsewhere as well.

Quick Reply: Is a replacement engine a bad or good thing?