Sponsored by:

Firehawk WideOval Tires...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:41 AM
sirebral
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehawk WideOval Tires...

I've been shopping around for tires today, has anyone played around with the new Firestore FireHawk WideOvals? Apparently they're new to market. They're 714.00 for 4 mounted retail here in Portland. I'm also considering Toyo Proxies, yet they are running a bit more $$.

Appreciate your feedback.

Keith

99 996 C2
Old 06-06-2005, 02:56 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sirebral
I've been shopping around for tires today, has anyone played around with the new Firestore FireHawk WideOvals? Apparently they're new to market. They're 714.00 for 4 mounted retail here in Portland. I'm also considering Toyo Proxies, yet they are running a bit more $$.

Appreciate your feedback.

Keith

99 996 C2
The last tire, IMHO that you would want to put on your car is a Les Schwab Toyo Proxes. They're fine for the family car and I have them on my wife's Volvo and I think they are just OK...I think they are on the loud side but I hardly drive that car.

Never heard of Firehawks. But, about 3 monhs ago, I purchased from Firestone here in Lake Oswego 4 Bridgestone S02A 4's. The total price was $882. They met the Tire Rack's price to the penny, mounted, balanced with a full road hazard insurance...You might want to consider them. They are sticky awsome tires. If you're interested I can give you the name of the person to speak to over there.

Good luck..
Old 06-06-2005, 03:00 AM
sirebral
Track Day

Jim,

Thanks for the advice.. The salesperson said the FireHawks were somewhere between the SO2s/S03's as far as performance, may have been a bunch of whooie, yet I'd still love to hear from someone who's got a set.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being that Firestone and Bridgestone are the same company you have to consider that they are marketed towards different markets. The Firestone brand is more marketed towards the American performance market such as the Mustang, Camaro, GTO. While the tire will work perfectly fine for your car, there might be some issues with tire noise and comfort. I'm not saying thay are bad tires, as many on this board thinks if its not a N0 tire its junk, but to me if you can get a Bridgstones for an extra $100 its worth it to me. The S03, which many have critzed here, is a great tire IMO as the handling, ride, and comfort is good relative to its price. I'm not saying its the best, but a good product.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:05 AM
houldsworth1
Racer

Sirebral,

What did you buy in the end? My local dealer is also suggesting the Wideoval and the write up I found on Tirerack did seem to suggest that they were decent. Did you get them?

TIA

Barry
Old 07-13-2005, 10:08 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would anyone want Firestone tires????
Old 07-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimPDX
The last tire, IMHO that you would want to put on your car is a Les Schwab Toyo Proxes. They're fine for the family car and I have them on my wife's Volvo and I think they are just OK...I think they are on the loud side but I hardly drive that car.
Good luck..
Hmm...I've been running Proxes on my cars for a couple of years, never had any problems....
Just recently bought a set of Dunlop SP Super Sport Race (for $129 per couldn't resist) at tirerack, will see how they perform on the track...
Old 07-13-2005, 05:35 PM
lexpilot
Racer

I have Toyo Proxes T1-S on my 996 for 9000 miles and had them on my 993 for 8000 miles. The FIRST tire I would consider would be the T1-S in Oregon. Les Scwab has more tire stores in our area than any other and undisputed best service. T1-S is the second best rated Super High Performance tire by Consumer Reports in November 2003 issue.
Not noisy at 9000 miles. Terrific adhesion in actual practice and C.U. testing.
Go to Consumer Reports .com and check out the results.
I run expensive Michelins on my Duramax, Avalon, and Lexus. But Toyo/Schwab combo is tough to beat on a specialty car.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Siberian and Lex...

I ran Proxes (don't remember the model) for about 6 months. Got them at my local Les Schwab. Almost from day one, they made noise, and for some reason, at speed (65+) the steering wheel shook like the dickens. Had them balanced and rebalancedand and rebalanced and rebalanced again and again. Finally, I took them off and got my first set of Potenza's SO2's and it's been no turning back. Now I have SO2A's N4 which are outstanding.

Maybe I just got some bad tires who knows. But I'll tell you this...they are terrific tires on our Volvo's.

Jim
Old 07-14-2005, 01:22 AM
Mitty
Racer

Do the Toyo Proxes T1-S have an N rating?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:35 AM
TallCoolOne
Instructor

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Why would anyone want Firestone tires????
because if you have not lowered your car yet it might roll over
Old 07-14-2005, 02:23 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mitty
Do the Toyo Proxes T1-S have an N rating?
Hey Darren...

No. There is no N rating for any Toyo tire.

Currently, Porsche N rates specific model tires made by Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Dunlop, and the Yoko for the Boxster (i.e., the AVS Sport) as the newest member to the N family.

The most N rated tires are from Pirelli and Michelin for various Porsches including the Pepper.

Jim
Old 07-14-2005, 11:31 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

WideOval sounds SOOOO Corvette...
Old 07-14-2005, 01:43 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Originally Posted by leedav
WideOval sounds SOOOO Corvette...
If they gave great grip, handling and decent tread life for less money then I would not really be worried about what they 'sound' like they belong on.

That said, I can't find any first hand information about them on a 911 - good, bad or indifferent - so I will take the safe option and replace the Contis that I have on there now.

Barry
Old 07-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Mitty
Racer

Originally Posted by JimPDX
Hey Darren...

No. There is no N rating for any Toyo tire.

Currently, Porsche N rates specific model tires made by Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Dunlop, and the Yoko for the Boxster (i.e., the AVS Sport) as the newest member to the N family.

The most N rated tires are from Pirelli and Michelin for various Porsches including the Pepper.

Jim
Thanks Jim, you rule.

Quick Reply: Firehawk WideOval Tires...