Sponsored by:

Weekend project: Stealth V1 install in C4S cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 10:14 PM
bavarian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weekend project: Stealth V1 install in C4S cab

I have thought long and hard about finding a discreet installation for my new Valentine 1 radar detector. Because I drive a cab, I needed to place the unit out of sight when parking with the top down. I also don't like the fact that cops and other drivers can see the unit anywhere near the windshield from behind or in front (also when I park in a public garage I don't want it visible). I am willing to sacrifice some of the superb functions such as laser detection and rear alert. Most of my local law enforcement (NJ/NYC area) use the old fashioned radar equipment, anyway.
So here is what I did. I installed the remote display and on/off/volume remote in one of my cubby spaces, using the OEM CD holder surround. I had to get creative using foam tape and picture frame insert to trim everything out.
I installed the actual unit in the rear of the cab. The power is hardwired into the phone connector behind the batwing. I had to remove the cover behind the seats and cut away some black plastic trim by the top/center so that the V1 could fit as high as possible. Then I built a small metal shelf and attached it with double sided tape. Running the wire from the front center console through the tunnel under the rear center console, and then around underneath the carpet under the rear seats, past the rear speakers. I had to cut an opening into the carpeted board, and the front of the V1 now protrudes about 3/4 inch into the space between the seatbacks. I cut some extra carpeting from the back of the board and mounted it on a curved cover to complete the concealed installation.
It works very well -- I was surprised at how many signals it picks up, and it even catches all side radar and most rear ones (even though there is a metal partition behind it).
Attached Images     
Old 06-05-2005, 11:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is your 4s decal crooked on the batwing?
Looks ok, I prefer the solo cordless s2, never let me down, no wires, just stick it in the glovebox when parking.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Vulture996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the radar still working well? I am thinking of doing a similar install where my V1 is totally hidden. I am still in test mode.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:40 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old fashioned radar in NJ?

Don't know about that, last week I drove from the Del. water gap to Newark Airport, jumped on the GS Parkway at one point and LAZER went off, reduced speed and about half a mile up the road was the NJ State Trooper waitin on the RIGHT hand side for his latest insurance surcharge victim. NOT ME!!

On another ocassion (also Parkway) driving back from Monmouth County to NYC the LAZER warning went off, looked in my rear view and could see a Crown Vic type figure a few cars back. Reduced speed to 60 mph. A few minutes Later LAZER warning again but I didn't budge above 60 mph.
The Trooper got bored and pulled out of the middle lane and into the passing lane where a mile down the road pulled over what looked like an M3.
That was the first time that I picked up one of those LAZER signals from a trailing vehicle.
Porsche profiling?

Can't live without my arrows!! I put the remote box right below the digital speedo so I can see the threat and my current speed in one glance. The V1 itself goes into the cubby hole when I short term park it. Long term it goes in the rear center console.

p.s.
Don't park your car with the top down for more than a few minutes. An experienced Porsche theif can quickly remove your headlights in the time it takes you to order a double espresso. And that's if he knows what he's doing, if you get a newbie he could wreak thousands of dollars in electrical damage ot your baby. The fried egg lights are even easier to remove quickly. $1300

Old 02-17-2006, 09:49 AM
mdillian3690
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am purchasing the V1 soon and also concerned about the visibility of the V1. Even though I have a coupe.

Quick Reply: Weekend project: Stealth V1 install in C4S cab