Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What can you tell me about this car (need VIN decipher)..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 09:20 PM
CLeonard
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can you tell me about this car (need VIN decipher)..

Looking at a '99 996 C2. From what I can tell, it has the following: sports seats, navigation, full leather (I think), no traction control, tip (necessary as I am often on the phone and/or writing while I drive). Clean car fax. VIN WP0AA2999XS624327. Miles: 52,000. Price: $32k. Overall, it appears to be in good shape. One or two small door dings and or minor scuffs. It has both the airbag and check engine light on (from my research, common problems w/ the '99). Pretty substantial oil leak coming from mid engine driver side, PPI being done tomorrow. I WILL NOT buy the car w/o an aftermarket warranty (I have heard good things about CNA).

For those who care, here's the circumstances. I opened my own law firm and it has really taken off. I currently have an Audi A8 (paid off) as my daily driver. Nice car, but I really want something more sporty, yet more civilized than my '84 911 cab. Plus i now can set it up as a lease and write it off . I live in Indy and we do get some snow down here, but my family has driven C2's w/ snow tires through the mountains of Colorado year round with no problems, so I think it will be fine (I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the really bad snow days). Whatcha think; should I take the plunge and get it?

Colby
Old 06-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Airbag and engine lights ON and a substantial oil leak from the motor, and you are considering it ...WHY?, is'nt there plenty of choices out there....
Old 06-01-2005, 10:11 PM
iii911ooo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can call Porsche Customer Commitment and give them the VIN. They will tell you the option codes on the car as built at the factory. Once you get this information, you can do a search on Rennlist on option code decoder. You can find the phone number for Porsche Customer Commitment on the Porsche NA website.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:20 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

car bad--taboo--no way--sayanara--please make another selection--I believe this is fair warning!!!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Go to www.renntech.org and use Scouser's VIN decoder.
Scouser VIN decoder
You enter the VIN and it tells you options etc.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:25 PM
CLeonard
AutoX

Ok, PPI came back. Airbag light is the seatbelt receptacles, I guess a common problem. Check engine light is from 2 O2 sensors. The oil leak is ALSO a vacuum leak coming from the crankcase bellow. I guess to fix it they have to drop the motor as it is high and to the front. $3k worth of work. Otherwise, they said the car looks pretty well maintained. Still pass on it?

Colby
Old 06-02-2005, 04:51 PM
911PSYCHO
Intermediate

I would pass. As others have mentioned, it's a buyer's market.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CLeonard
Looking at a '99 996 C2. From what I can tell, it has the following: sports seats, navigation, full leather (I think), no traction control, tip (necessary as I am often on the phone and/or writing while I drive). Clean car fax. VIN WP0AA2999XS624327. Miles: 52,000. Price: $32k. Overall, it appears to be in good shape. One or two small door dings and or minor scuffs. It has both the airbag and check engine light on (from my research, common problems w/ the '99). Pretty substantial oil leak coming from mid engine driver side, PPI being done tomorrow. I WILL NOT buy the car w/o an aftermarket warranty (I have heard good things about CNA).

For those who care, here's the circumstances. I opened my own law firm and it has really taken off. I currently have an Audi A8 (paid off) as my daily driver. Nice car, but I really want something more sporty, yet more civilized than my '84 911 cab. Plus i now can set it up as a lease and write it off . I live in Indy and we do get some snow down here, but my family has driven C2's w/ snow tires through the mountains of Colorado year round with no problems, so I think it will be fine (I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the really bad snow days). Whatcha think; should I take the plunge and get it?

Colby
Colby...

A substantial oil leak can be a substantial problem. door dings, scuffs, CEL and AB lite...the car doesn't sound like it was cared for properly on the face based on what you are saying...I would walk on this one and keep looking
Old 06-02-2005, 05:30 PM
CLeonard
AutoX

Yeah, I agree. I'm in no rush. I'll hold tight for the perfect car. I really want nav and sport seats, both seem pretty rare and this car had both. Bummer.

Colby
Old 06-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Colby,

If you have time then yes wait... Don't get too knee-jerked with the Nav and Sport seats.... I would tell the guy to get those items fixed and than he has a deal..... If he's willing to do it, let him know that you'd like reciepts and you'd like to know where he's taking it.....

-Eli

Just my .02
Old 06-03-2005, 12:03 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

WAit and you will find a better car. I did some research and please correct me if I am wrong, CNA will not sell you direct but only through a dealer and the cost was prohibitive.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:59 AM
krisd
Instructor

You can get the Becker Nav unit fairly cheap. I saw them at Crutchfield's over the last year for about $400. Maybe they were running a special.

I agree with the others, I would pass on this one. If someone cared about their car at all they definitely would have fixed those items before they tried to sell it.

You can tell if it has full leather from the instrument pod and the door panels. Both should have stitching on the seams. I would not get one without the full leather, makes a huge difference in the overall appearance of the interior. Good luck with your search, it is a buyers market. I traveled 2,000 to buy mine and loved the drive home. If you give yourself two or three months you should be able to fine one with everything you want, including, wheels, sport seats, full leather, etc. and that has been taken care of very well.

Kris
Old 06-03-2005, 01:14 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by krisd
You can get the Becker Nav unit fairly cheap. I saw them at Crutchfield's over the last year for about $400. Maybe they were running a special.Kris
Sold out some time ago
Old 06-03-2005, 06:56 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not only should you pass on it, PUNT and run like Hell!

Quick Reply: What can you tell me about this car (need VIN decipher)..