996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Screw BFG!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:10 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

SPR...close to 2000 posts? I think it is time to become a dues paying member...don't you? You could use the money you saved on your BFG's.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:10 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, I of course know what simple defamation is. However I hope that you are not a practicing attorney as you miss torts II pleading requirements. The statement was not arguably defamatory on it's face period. Therefore you must plead inducement-descriptive facts explain allegation, inuendo- explanation of why statement harms P’s reputation, as well as Colloquim- extrinsic facts that lead RP to conclude about P. Please don't tell me about my profession, I do quite well in that arena. I don't really care if I have a spelling mistake as this is my leisure time, and doesn't reflect in anything professionally.

I love how people on here just want to try and prove someone wrong at least you tried to do a better job and understood what I was relaying in my post. I do agree that I will never use a BFG product ever again. The purpose of the post was to warn people of this problem. Why do I even waste my time anymore?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:17 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the original first post....We are hooked up with BFG and Michelin and run all our cars on them. I ran BFG KDW GForce II on my EVO for 2 years. Best tire I have ever run next to a falken. Great handling and long life. I run Michelin PS2 on the 996 now. Sometimes there is a bad egg in a batch...
Old 05-15-2005, 11:25 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what I was trying to focus on as I have had numerous kd's and 3 rears were defective! The front cupping IMHO is defective as I have new pss9's and have had the car corner balanced and aligned and had the alignment checked twice after that. The only possibility is that the shop that did the aligment set it up improperly, but I was there watching and gave them the numbers in person. Instrument inaccurancy might be the culprit if that is the case. The car honestly is unsafe to drive as hard as I do and load and unloads strangely-
Old 05-15-2005, 11:27 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Well I have the Corporate hook up...so if you hate them, then get a new tire brand. If you want help to replace it, get me all relevant info by email and I will pass it along.

later
dan@vividracing.com
Old 05-15-2005, 11:58 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPR
Jim, I of course know what simple defamation is. However I hope that you are not a practicing attorney as you miss torts II pleading requirements. The statement was not arguably defamatory on it's face period. Therefore you must plead inducement-descriptive facts explain allegation, inuendo- explanation of why statement harms P’s reputation, as well as Colloquim- extrinsic facts that lead RP to conclude about P. Please don't tell me about my profession, I do quite well in that arena. I don't really care if I have a spelling mistake as this is my leisure time, and doesn't reflect in anything professionally.
Are you a 1L, or just making fun of 1Ls?

I for one am very impressed with your brilliance!

Front cupping sounds like your suspension is out of alignment, regardless of whether you trust your shop. I cannot imagine that one brand of tires will experience cupping while another brand will not. Different brands may wear at different rates, but cupping vs. non-cupping? Please . . .
Old 05-16-2005, 12:06 AM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to say it again (I DON"T know why I'm bothering) but HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR SHOCKS?

The car honestly is unsafe to drive as hard as I do and load and unloads strangely-
My god, you run around here blaming BFG but by your own admission your car "unloads strangely"?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:06 AM
gonz911
Pro

My apology to the forum in advance (for past and present). I hate to put fuel on the fire, but for SPR, you would be better off getting your facts straight. Just go back and read what you wrote over and above the insults. You did make a comparison to other tires on the market based on what your friend(s) or whoever or whatever said. How can one with half a brain hold BFGs to other tires on the market, let ALONE Porsche approved tires? That's beyond belief! What's also beyond belief is your claim to being a law student or lawyer (whatever). Outside your poor grammar and spelling (ahem), you don't seem to be very bright or educated. Yeah, it seems you can open a book and make reference to some law, but I don't buy it. Too lacking in many areas. You read like a hot-head -- kind of easy at getting your buttons pushed. You would be too easy of a target in law school and especially in law school. You should take special note of the free advice by the law professor on this forum. I can say if these forums had more people like you it wouldn't be around too long, but I have to give you this -- you're entertaining and perhaps we're all laughing. Now go do your research and buy some good tires and stop your belly-aching!

Lastly, the gentleman you insulted early on because of his picture on his avatar is head and shoulders above you. As I stated above, IF you are either in the legal profession or aspiring to do the same it will undoubtedly be short-lived unless you grow up and improve your vocabulary along the way.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:23 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SPR
Your post really made no sense. How should I get real? I wouldn't characterize what I said or that forum as goofy?? I will agree however, that on 6 speed people consider what other's say more and give more lattitude to context.

For the reasearch side, my friends have the exact same tires on the same car with the SAME setup, and noted they gave the best handling over all other tires.
Yep, I'm likely one of those friends that steered him into the BFGs based upon my experience with them (same suspension - PSS9s/GT3 sways), but mine were on a cab. The tires have fantastic grip, and I don't recall experiencing cupping (though noise was probably more than the other 3 sets from different makers - Mich,Pirelli, and Conti). Anyone thinking these are bargain tires should check the prices. They were the most expensive ones available at the time I purchased mine because they are indeed great performing tires - in the dry. That said, I've decided a while back that I'm only interested in approved (ie: recommended) Nx rated tires by Porsche. However, those N ratings incorporate considerations such as tire wear, comfort, noise and performance (both dry and wet) - among other things. Since the very only thing I'm interested in for my Pcars is dry performance with all other factors being a distant second+, I opted to go with the BFG KDs as well because they offer the best dry performance in a street tire. On top of that, I rarely get more than a year or 4k miles out of my tires on my sports cars and figured if I didn't like them, I would be replacing them soon enough anyway. FWIW, after putting turbo brakes on the 996C2, I experienced tire lock up way earlier than with the stock brakes until I put on the BFGs. With the Contis, I was exceeding the tire grip way early leaving me with worse brakes than I started with - again until I put on the BFGs.

Owing to SPR's experience though, I'm not sure I have the same level of confidence in the tires I once did. One of my BFG rears also had a belt problem.

PS. Any chance we can keep this thread civil about the topic so others can learn from other peoples mistakes and experiences instead of being left to their own trial and error?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:24 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lizard1
and we wonder why lawyers have such a bad reputation...
we do?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

bfg kd are quite sticky for street tires and indeed not cheap. however, it's very difficult to get manufacturers to admit it's thier QC that failed. most likely you will have to eat it. i love RA1's but i have had some very bad one and they won't warranty it.

spr, you may have to get to know the supplier better and they can pull some strings for you. else, i fear there's nothing BFG will do for you ;-(

however, as good as bfg has been, currenlty i feel the PS2 is one of the best street rubbers you can put on the 996 chassis. SO2a's are nice too.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:29 AM
gonz911
Pro

Ben,

You seem like a reasonable person, however, your friend is not. Perhaps he'll listen to you about keep it civil, otherwise, I'll stand up for those on this forum who more often than not are terrific and informative. You're friend is not.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:47 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
bfg kd are quite sticky for street tires and indeed not cheap. however, it's very difficult to get manufacturers to admit it's thier QC that failed. most likely you will have to eat it. i love RA1's but i have had some very bad one and they won't warranty it.

spr, you may have to get to know the supplier better and they can pull some strings for you. else, i fear there's nothing BFG will do for you ;-(

however, as good as bfg has been, currenlty i feel the PS2 is one of the best street rubbers you can put on the 996 chassis. SO2a's are nice too.
Yep, I was very pleased with the PS2s on my ex-996. They were also terrific on our ex-M3. And apparently, Porsche thinks they are the best for the CGT as well. I've not tried out any other tires on the CGT since I believe the only other approved tires are the Pirellis and I'll take PS2s over those any day (though I'm trying the Pirellis on the Cayenne since the Michelins Diamaris wore out way too soon), but with the correct hot pressure they are terrific given what the CGT's handling and braking capabilities ask of them.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:56 AM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

PS2's are incredible...

RA1 are great for track, you can run them on the street, but watch out for water I ran RA1 on my track tires for my EVO. I will be running RA1 or Michelin race tires on my 240sx race car. The PS2 work great on my 996 for every day driving....
Old 05-16-2005, 12:58 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know why, but I keep coming back to this post.

When I was researching tires, I asked a friend for a favor. (Of course this friend is a research/design engineer for a company that makes carbon fiber and deals directly with Ferrrari for their Formula cars.) I had him ask the Ferrari test drivers which, commercially available, street tire is the best. They actually emailed him back and he forwarded it to me. Now I know we aren't talking Ferraris here, but just the same, they recommended:

1 PS2
2 P-0s
3 Bridgestones

For what it's worth.

Quick Reply: Screw BFG!!!!