ticking and groaning noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:56 AM
Superfans
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default ticking and groaning noise

Dear everyone,

Hi, I am a newbie to this board. I understand that many people from this board are experienced Porsche technicians/owners and hope that you will have the answers to my questions. Actually I am encountering some problem with my 996tt and am wondering if you guys can help me to find out what was wrong with my car.

Problems:

1. Ticking noise from the dashboard area (it seems that the noise will go away if I turn off the air con);
2. Groaning/Moaning noise from front of the car (I think the noise is from underneath my car);
3. When I start the car in the morning, everything seems fine at the begining. However, once I put the gear into D, the rpm of the engine will drop and the car wants to stall as if it does not have enough fuel.

I shall be grateful if you can let me have your views on the above. Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:48 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

It may be a good idea to post your question in the 996 TT section of this Board.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Superfans
Racer

My apology. The reason I post it here is because I thought some 996 owners might have encountered the same or similar problems.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:42 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The ticking could be a retaining tag that is used in the center vents, if this was removed incorrectly, and re-installed the tab could have broken off and is moving around in the vent.....happened to me
Old 05-11-2005, 10:34 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check your air filter and scan for codes for the stalling problem.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Superfans
Racer

I have driven the car again today. The groaning/moaning noise seems to be from the gas filling area at right front. The groaning noise will not stop even when the car is stationary. This could well be the sound of a bad fuel pump. Do you think a faulty fuel pump could cause the clicking noise (some kind of electrical noise) from the instrument panel area apart from the groaning/moaning noise near the gas filling area?

Furthermore, do you think a bad fuel pump and a bad oxygen sensor could possibly cause the car to stall when I slam on the brake at normal speed (eg 50 mph or 80 kmph)?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Superfans
Racer

Ladies/Gents, any thoughts?

1. As to the ticking noise, it is not continuous. The noise from the dashboard area seems to come from some faulty electrical wiring or connections and is not speed related. It seems that if I turn off the A/C, the ticking noise from the dashboard will stop. The ticking noise only happened when the car is warmed up. I suspect that this ticking noise may be from a bad cooling or blower fan which is located at the right front of the car (as mentioned in Q2 below, my car may have a faulty cooling fan). Do you think so?

2. The groaning / humming noise is from the back of the right front wheel. The noise continues even when the car is stationary. It creates a humming / echoing noise like "Won ... Won ... Won ...". Someone suggested to me that the noise might be from a faulty fuel pump or cooling fan. Any views? This noise only appear when the car is heated up.

3. As to the stalling problem, my car is a Tip 996 turbo (stock without mod). The car runs fine when I press on the gas padel. But once I slam onto the brakes, the engine rpm will drop quickly (sometimes below 500) and the engine starts to stumble and wants to stall. Apart from the possibility of a vacuum leak, could a faulty MAF or O2 sensor also cause the engine to stall in these circumstances? Would the stalling result from a contaminated fuel filter (since the car has been in storage for about 3 months and the fuel tank was only half full)? Also, howabout the possibility of a faulty cam shaft position sensor or idle stabilizer? One thing which I noticed is that the stalling will not happen once the engine is warmed up.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:30 AM
Superfans
Racer

Unhappy

Hi, everyone:

Some additional info. - I've tried starting the engine this morning and I've heard a pretty loud "clunking noise" from the engine and noticed some white/grey color smoke coming from the exhaust pipes and the smell of gasoline. Could there be some sort of leakage? Do you think that this could be the cause of the stalling problem that I've been encountering lately?

Quick Reply: ticking and groaning noise