Sponsored by:

Back Ache From Hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 04:00 PM
RLandis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Ache From Hell

Have any of you had such a bad back ache that it affected you getting in and out of your car. I have a whopper right now (unrelated to the car), and the chiropractor suggested I might want to give the Porsche a rest for a week or two, until I heal.

Bummer!!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I acutally have found that the seats in the P-Car are better on my back than my Mercedes! However, I suspect it is the low up and down of getting into/outa the car that is agrivating it. If you have an SUV you would be better off during this time of "healing".
Old 05-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

You may want to work with a Physical Therapist rather than a chiropractor. Better long term results, from personal experience.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RLandis
Have any of you had such a bad back ache that it affected you getting in and out of your car. I have a whopper right now (unrelated to the car), and the chiropractor suggested I might want to give the Porsche a rest for a week or two, until I heal.

Bummer!!!!
I up'd my workout weight load on my legs about 8 weeks ago. Everything was fine till I did my usual leg presses. BAM pulled a muscle in my hip and spazed out my hip flexors BIG TIME...couldn't walk, sit, stoop or drive my Porsche, because it hurt so damn much to clutch.

Went to my doctor he sent me to a physical therapist for 10 visits. These guys did a hell of a job and I'm pretty much back in the saddle again and I took my weight load back down. Doesn't hurt at all to clutch anymore...good luck and be careful with chiroprators...

BTW if you get showtime or HBO, whichever has the Penn and Teller show...check out the one with chiropractors...there some food for thought in the program...

Jim

ps...

I'll say this...the seats in the Porsche are a lot more comfortable than the ergonomically correct seats in our Volvos and they are supposed to be known as some of the best seats or so I am told.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

Agree with Palting. Ditch the Chiro, head for an orthopedic MD, then a Phys Therapist first.

Trust me on this one....I've been through a spinal fusion, and other issues, and know what you might be dealing with. Chiropractic is not the answer until you hear from an MD what is going on. Don't shortchange yourself. Life's too short.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 150 Posts

Valium now to break the spasm. Phys. therapy for long term cure. Doctor's orders.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ditto Eric and c4s.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:09 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

I was going to post a thread on back pain and Porsches but you guys answered my question. In the few test drives I had with a 996, I always got out of the car with a slightly stiff back. I attributed the stiffness to not having the seat adjusted properly and not to the relatively stiff ride of the 996. Based on what I've read here, it appears that my suspicion is on target.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:48 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Aleve + heated seats makes the pain go away!
Old 05-05-2005, 02:56 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my unprofessional opinion is that 90% of the back pain is from sitting hunched over a computer. The other 10% is from the car, and wouldn't be a problem if not for the other 90...
Old 05-05-2005, 04:27 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having heated seats is huge. I have 3 degenerating discs in my lower back and two arthritic hips and the heated seats made a huge difference! (btw, I'm only 27!)

I recently had a flare-up of ongoing back/hip problems and I don't even bother taking my wife's car any more since I can't get in/out of it easily (little 4 door Japanese car). I stick to my nice tall SUV that's easy to get in/out of!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:03 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Chiropracter (the natural enemy of M.D's) may not be your best route to an answer or cure.
First, you need a diagnosis. In my opinion, there is little reason to delay MRI. If it's non-significant (just muscle spasm) you may have wasted a few of your insurance company"s dollars. But if you've damaged something significant, you will save months of futility.
The Porsche is not a factor, unless you have your seat adjusted for style, not utility. For your purpose, you will want the back as upright as possible (raking it back accentuates the strain on your lower back). You also want the seat cushion flat, not with the leading edge tipped up with your butt down. Sittling a little closer to the wheel also may help (though you will be closer with the seat back straightened)
Physical therapy and then abdominal muscle strengthening may be all you need Almost everybody would start there and stay with it for 6-8 weeks. Occasionally, a facet joint has slipped and "manipulation" may help, but that is not the most likely. Good Luck. AS
Old 05-05-2005, 08:24 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you guys sound like a bunch old ladies

I have a congenital back issue believe it or not the best thing for my back in a car has been installing GT3 Recaro seats. A bitch to get out of but once you are in its like some nice person is hold up your lower back with their two hands the whole time. I'm almost contemplating ordering one for my living room.

well their not so hard to get our of really...
Old 05-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

Recaro chair for the living room, eh....

More like office here, but interesting...

Old 05-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I read your subject as 'back acne'... it was a bad visual.

I also recommend seeing doctor. I would have to been in an iron lung to consider not driving my Porsche for 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Back Ache From Hell