Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Factory Suspension. How to correct slight understeer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:17 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
Well I have had my 2000 996 for a few weeks now. The only things I have changed are the tires. R-Compund and some clear corners. Well I love the way this car handles, much better than my old G35 sport coupe. Anyway like a lot of cars when pushed to the limit there is some understeer.

I am wondering what is the simplest easiest way to remedy this condition?

I think maybe a beefier rear adj sway bar would do the trick.

What is your experience and what do you recommend? Where can I get a rear sway bar anyway?

If there was one item less than 500 that would make you faster on the track what would it be?

i had a '00 c2 996. out-of-the-box, the US, non-m030 spec car understeers in just about all conditions. you can try to drive around the problem--play with tire pressures, aligment, etc--but you're leaving a lot of potential on the table.
an easy fix is to step up to the row m030. andial has them for under $1,200, it's factory, can be installed by anyone, and makes the car more driveable. imo, unless you really know what you're doing and willing to spend lots of time under the car, then adjustable bars, shocks, springs, etc, are not necessary. a step up from the row m030 is the x74 for about $2k from carnewal. re excessive understeer, the factory alignment spec coupled with the US spec suspension is to blame.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:58 PM
porch
Advanced

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
Well I have had my 2000 996 for a few weeks now. The only things I have changed are the tires. R-Compund and some clear corners. Well I love the way this car handles, much better than my old G35 sport coupe. Anyway like a lot of cars when pushed to the limit there is some understeer.

I am wondering what is the simplest easiest way to remedy this condition?

I think maybe a beefier rear adj sway bar would do the trick.

What is your experience and what do you recommend? Where can I get a rear sway bar anyway?

If there was one item less than 500 that would make you faster on the track what would it be?
Here's my plan FWIW:

I haven't decided between ROW M030 and X74, but the front and rear sway bars are the same (I think). Those seem to be available for about $200 plus shipping. I'm going to install the sways, see how the car acts, and then I still have the option to choose either factory suspension route.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:14 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

the shocks and springs separately cost way more than the whole kit. like double. beware...
Old 05-06-2005, 03:47 AM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by porch
Here's my plan FWIW:

I haven't decided between ROW M030 and X74, but the front and rear sway bars are the same (I think). Those seem to be available for about $200 plus shipping. I'm going to install the sways, see how the car acts, and then I still have the option to choose either factory suspension route.
Save yourself another hundred bucks. Install only the rear bar first. If it is too drastic, then buy the front bar to counterbalance it by about 10% more than the stock front bar. Rear bar # 996.333.701.13
Old 05-06-2005, 04:19 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Re-animator
Save yourself another hundred bucks. Install only the rear bar first. If it is too drastic, then buy the front bar to counterbalance it by about 10% more than the stock front bar. Rear bar # 996.333.701.13
-- as noted earlier in the thread, I drove my car with only the rear sport bar (otherwise stock non-sport suspension) for several hundred miles and it worked great. It fit my needs well enough that I contemplated never installing the rest of the ROW M030 kit...
Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Jeeva, you're not going to significantly change the height of the front tires in relation to the rears, are you? If so, you're going to have to be sure you're not causing headaches for teh AWD system. Typically they are very sensitive to differences in front-to-rear rollout.
stiles & SRL, Thanks to the extensive rennlist archive I am aware of AWD?PSM problems associated with changing tire dimensions.
I should'nt say I am tweeking car dynamics by changing tires, as SRL explained it would certainly be futile. I know my tires need replacement, and I know my car understeers a bit, so when I purschase my next tires, and if i decide them to be Toyo RA-1's, I'll go with the 275's instead of the stock 295 which toyo does'nt make. I've already spoken to a guy who uses them on 996 C4S, and he is very happy with them.
But, now it looks like the p-zero corsa "system" is not that much more expensive than the Toyo's, and I just may go with those and stay with the stock sizes. As Jim.B said, a plan to fix understeering on acceleration should include purchasing a vette

Edit: So, my plans for fixing the understeer on acceleration for now and keeping the car stock, (thanks to Jim,B) is trying to rotate the car before hitting the apex.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:19 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now you're talking Jeeva. Forget this slow in, fast out crap. Turn in early, trailbraking on the edge of disaster, this will get your back end moving. When you're pointed in the right direction, hard on the throttle. Your back end will settle and you're off to the races. Fast in, fast out and it works just fine with a little bit of understeer.
Jim

Disclaimer: the above should only be done by experienced drivers and only on a closed circuit race track. I accept no responsibility for the massive carnage that will result from minor miscalculations.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Re-animator
Racer

A cool link for a generalized overview of suspension tuning.

Kraus Corrections Overview
Old 05-06-2005, 01:05 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally Posted by porch
Here's my plan FWIW:

when i first got my 996, it really did not hold it's intended line very well--especially on fast sweepers when the suspension was loaded. the front end would bounce and send the car off line if there were any mionr undulations or bumps. it caused one to back out of the gas to avoid bigger problems . i remember thinking "this can't be right! this car handles like ****" i found the stock shocks to be under damped and the springs too soft. changing bars helps the balance but you'll still get ocillation problems at speed. i'd do everything at once, you'll end up doing it anyhow.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Rob,
My C4S comes with the "sport" turbo suspension and is lower, from what I hear it's heck of a lot better than the standard C2 in understeer, and the traction transfer to the front with AWD minimizes the acceleration understeer, so that's why I can just change the driving style a bit.
The C2 guy's may certainly need hardware changes.
Jeeva

Quick Reply: Factory Suspension. How to correct slight understeer?