996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

weekend project - bad news and more bad news - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Schweet!!! I love my Atiwe airbag wheel. I think the factory should have made the OE steering wheel this size. It's perfect. I should have pics soon of my seat install.

Chad
Old 05-07-2005, 12:45 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Schweet!!! I love my Atiwe airbag wheel. I think the factory should have made the OE steering wheel this size. It's perfect. I should have pics soon of my seat install.

Chad
ya the atiwe steering wheel is really nice. it's exactly like the one ruf sells with their rebadged airbag and costs 700 less. at first i thought the difference in diameter between stock and atiwe wasn't enough but after installing it i think any smaller would feel (and look) weird. especially since we can't tilt the steering column.

you might as well do the roll bar and seats at the same time. you don't want to do it like me and do double work
Old 05-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dat's the plan, Stan...

C.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:59 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, so Carlos, do you have any pics of that steering wheel? Also I noticed you did the red calipers in the front did you paint or powdercoat the rears to match and do the stock fronts if you ever put them back on etc? I was going to do that and do yellow calipers, but decided against it because I beat the hell out of my car and wouldn't be happy if the paint on the rears started to wear etc., so I did the black. Also what fluid and pads are you using??? I am also interested in that flywheel deal. How much and did you change the clutch out at the same time to something else?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:26 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SPR
Hey, so Carlos, do you have any pics of that steering wheel? ............ I am also interested in that flywheel deal. How much and did you change the clutch out at the same time to something else?
hey spr,

i bought some high temp caliper paint from autozone. it came out really good, especially after using a porsche stencil to paint the logo rather than using vinyl caliper decals. the paint has proved to be durable in street conditions but i cannot comment on track conditions. i haven't over cooked them so that the paint discolors. i've heard (maybe even from the stoptech site) that powder coated calipers can discolor too. i'll let you know how they fair after a track event. i have a two day event next weekend

if you track the car a lot then black or for that matter natural aluminum/silver, a la brembo gtr brakes, may be a better idea. if there was that option i would have got the natural and got the rears too

i used ate gold w/axxis street pads. i want to try out hawk for the track. supposed to be as good as pagid but cheaper. maybe next time i'll use castrol srf. your favorite right?

check the thread on LWF for my $0.02

Old 05-08-2005, 06:03 AM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool on all the aforementioned. I do like srf and was running the ate blue before. I have heard some bad things personally about the hawk blues so even though they are said to be the same they really are not when you are really tracking them-
Old 05-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Arthur
Pro

Carlos,
I think your calipers will turn a dark red after a few events. The white Porsche will turn yellow. That's what I've seen happen to Turbo brakes. Could you please comment on what it took to get the StopTech brakes in? Just curious on what changes had to be done to get the rotors to fit. My front rotors are just about well done and probably will not survive another hard DE. Thank you. And congratulations on your project!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:06 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arthur
Carlos,
I think your calipers will turn a dark red after a few events. The white Porsche will turn yellow. That's what I've seen happen to Turbo brakes. Could you please comment on what it took to get the StopTech brakes in? Just curious on what changes had to be done to get the rotors to fit. My front rotors are just about well done and probably will not survive another hard DE. Thank you. And congratulations on your project!
i have a set of 18" champion rg5 monolites and 19" sportecs come w/ a 7 mm spacer from the distributor. you can download a template which you can cut out and place against the inside of your wheels to check for proper clearance. SPR has been able to fit them w/the stock carrera lightweights.

the front kit consists of two 355x32 mm 2 piece floating rotor (stock is 318x28 mm), stainless steel DOT lines, caliper and adapter.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 269 Posts

Damn I didn't get a close up look at your car on Saturday!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:22 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
Damn I didn't get a close up look at your car on Saturday!

you got some great pics form the event.

HAHA other than the brakes and wheels you wouldn't want to get a good look at my car. the bumper is not in the best of conditions. still need to install my ruf front bumper, just no time. gotta keep up with all of you "ballers"
Old 05-09-2005, 04:53 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Nice job on the brakes.

BTW where did you find the stencils and what type of paint did you use for the "PORSCHE" lettering?

Thanx
Old 05-09-2005, 09:22 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aben8057
Nice job on the brakes.

BTW where did you find the stencils and what type of paint did you use for the "PORSCHE" lettering?

Thanx
i got them off ebay. search porsche caliper decals. be sure to ask of the reverse/negative/mask so you can use it to spray the letters on. i used high temp caliper paint for the caliper AND the lettering.

Quick Reply: weekend project - bad news and more bad news - UPDATE