996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Oil sump for M96 engine?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005 | 10:36 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Loren
That item is part of the X51 kit for the 3.4 liter cars. That kit was only sold in RoW. It may help, but a better solution is the complete oiling kit which includes a reworked cylinder head (bank 4-6), an additional dual chanber suction pump and return tube.
Sorry Loren...I didn't mean to repeat what you wrote. I missed your post.

C.
Old 04-29-2005 | 11:50 AM
Loren
Drifting

My understanding is that during hard cornering (with racing tires) oil can get trapped in the cylinder bank (4,5,6) and it is possible to have oil starvation occur because there is not enough oil at the main pickup. The kit is intended to return the oil to sump that gets trapped in the cylinder bank (4,5,6). So, as I said before the baffle alone may help some - but it won't solve the problem of the oil trapped in the cylinder bank.

Originally Posted by Chads996
No. It is specifically for the 3.4L X51 powerkit. Note the detail on the bottom right of the PET / Repair manual listing page.

EDIT: More info...

Here's what I came up with on the oil pan baffle.

It is in fact part of the X51 RoW Powerkit for the 3.4L motor. In addition to the oil pan baffle / bulkhead there are more oil mods on the X51. Those include a new dual stage pickup and a line to the 4&6th cylinders. Installation of the line to the cylinders requires machining. ($$$$ Ka-ching!) Based upon the information available, these apparently add more oil to the updated cams and valves on the X51 kit. This makes sense, given the uprated hp and higher rev limit.

Now…after researching some info on my old BMW M3, (which has a similar problem with oil starvation, etc.), the BMW Motorsports performance baffled oil pan is a VERY similar solution to this one. More (or larger baffles) with one-way inlets. I am pretty confident that using this in conjunction with the deeper sump oil pan kit from Brey Krause (if it works) will at the very least significantly reduce any worry on oil starvation issues on the track.

Please keep in mind, I will have to test my theory on this. I plan to order the parts and see what I find. Best price found on the oil pan bulkhead from Sunset Porsche is $100 or so.

Cool. I love this car

Chad
Old 04-29-2005 | 12:47 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Loren
My understanding is that during hard cornering (with racing tires) oil can get trapped in the cylinder bank (4,5,6) and it is possible to have oil starvation occur because there is not enough oil at the main pickup. The kit is intended to return the oil to sump that gets trapped in the cylinder bank (4,5,6). So, as I said before the baffle alone may help some - but it won't solve the problem of the oil trapped in the cylinder bank.
Interesting. Good stuff. Does that return tube have suction from the oil pump on it? Is this as much of a P.I.T.A as is sounds?

Now...of course, no one that I can think has had this problem. Do you know of any who have done track duty have this issue?

Chad
Old 04-29-2005 | 09:23 PM
Loren
Drifting

I'm pretty sure that Porsche MotorSports still sells the oil return upgrade kit. As I recall you ship then your 4,5,6 cylinder head and they sent you one that's already modified (exchange basis). You don't get the whole X51 kit but I think the price is much less than the X51 kit price of $11,000.
Old 04-29-2005 | 11:33 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Any idea what the going rate is? I am willing to bet it is somewhere in the vicinity of pure gold?

Chad
Old 04-30-2005 | 03:58 AM
stiles_s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chads996
Any idea what the going rate is? I am willing to bet it is somewhere in the vicinity of pure gold?

Chad
My dealer quoted me on the order of $1800 for the oiling kit, which seemed a little low to me.
Old 04-30-2005 | 10:44 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

You ship your 4-6 cam cover and they will machine it for you and send it back. The machine work itself is pretty simple. There is no exchange as the heads and cam covers are matched parts.
Old 05-01-2005 | 12:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Why not just get your cam cover machined locally at a good race machine shop, save some $$. as Doug said the machine work involves the cam cover, not the cylinder head.
Chad, you're near St.Louis, go to Kirn Racing Engines or Ron's Heads in St.Charles. They do major racing machine work(ie NASCAR) and can easily machine your parts at a reasonable price.
Chris

Quick Reply: Upgraded Oil sump for M96 engine?!!!