Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is it a BIG hassle buying a car OUT OF STATE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:49 AM
agio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of state...

Sellling a car can be more difficult because of the risk of liability-insurance until the buyer actually goes and registers the vehicle in their state; and, sometimes there is a hassle of dealing with sales tax issues. Generally, buying a car is easier; but buying from an individual poses certain risks that would not be so great as compared to buying from a dealer...however, you'd be operating from "remote control" in either case.
I would think that first you would have to pony up the money in "good" funds and then the car would be shipped to you (or you'd pick it up and drive it back). One of the first questions is: What happens in between (paying for the car and receiving it) or if there is a dispute when the car arrives regarding condition or whatever? While there are many things to think about, they all can be dealt with and managed.
Good luck.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:35 AM
Rennaissance
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by krisd
I live in Northern California and purchased my car in Texas about a year ago. I arranged to have a PPI done before I flew out there to pick it up. I did not finance the purchase, so you should check with your bank about that. I brought a cashiers check with me, gave a final once over and then forked over the check and took off for an awsome drive home (2,000 miles in 2-1/2 days). If you are driving it home, check with your local DMV to see if you need a temporary license. As it turns out, I paid for a temporary Texas license but did not actually need it.

This is my first P-car, so the drive home was too short IMO. I could have drove for a week! Once I got over putting 2,000 miles on a car that only had 24,000 over the previous 5 years all was good.

I would recommend buying as far away as possible and then driving it home!

Kris
Glad to hear someone else has done this before. I am about to do the exact same thing: buy a car in Texas and drive it home to Cali. Houston to San Francisco. Also I am buying a CPO car with just under 24'000 miles and also my first P-car!
What a coincidence.

Perhaps the only difference is that my drive will take two weeks
Old 06-28-2015, 10:42 AM
PORCAR
Racer

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
Box-doc - I purchased my 993TT from Chicago. I bought a round trip ticket (cheaper) checked out the exterior, options, etc. I had an appointment for a PPI and also with a reputable body shop to check out the panels, paint, etc. Once everything checked out, I paid the PO, checked into a hotel for a good night sleep (couldn't sleep). I left Chicago at 6:00a on a Thurs and pulled into my driveway in So. Cal on Fri at 5:00p just in time to attend a b-day party.

I'd do it all over again. BTW, this was last Nov.
Great story and sweet ride.

I have bought oos many times, dealers only. The only extra step was to get the vin verified for registration, but now many states will allow the selling dealer state to register the car for the buyer's state.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:08 PM
996 SHARK
Instructor

great info here!
Old 06-28-2015, 08:24 PM
sfv_rider
Instructor

I live in Los Angeles, and purchased my '02 on eBay from a dealer in Nashville.

I flew it out, drove it back in 2 days, and in 10 days, it was inspected, smogged and registered with the DMV. With the right paperwork from TN, it sailed through.

California is probably the most difficult state in terms of bureaucratic BS. Maybe Hawaii and Alaska are more difficult, when you consider transportation difficulties.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:29 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

I do hope OP is paying attention, 10 years later.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:58 AM
goose1207
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say that it depends on the state that you live in. MA does not have temp tags so it can be a real headache if you want to do things by the book. I've bought in NH from a dealer (next state over) and also down in MD from a private party. In MA, you would need to register the car first in order to get the plates but you can't do so unless you have a bill of sale / Form RMV1 showing that you've already purchased the car. But who wants to buy a car sight unseen? Or you could have the car shipped and pay for an independent 3rd party PPI.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:20 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I rarely find a car I want in the same state. Not a problem.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:42 PM
PORCAR
Racer

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I do hope OP is paying attention, 10 years later.
Funny how in 10 years the personalities are still the same.

Quick Reply: Is it a BIG hassle buying a car OUT OF STATE?