Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is it a BIG hassle buying a car OUT OF STATE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it a BIG hassle buying a car OUT OF STATE?

Hello Board....have an offer of a car out of state of an 04c4s and want to know if it is a big headache in doing this with banks etc before I go further....or should I have a local dealer get the car and deal with them?????
Old 04-24-2005, 05:37 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased out of state--wired money for payment fedex for paperwork and Passport for shipping. No headache at all. Purchased certified car from a P-dealer that sent me a hundred pics...Jeff
Old 04-24-2005, 05:50 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Box-Doc - I purchased my last two cars out of state, a 2000 Jag S-Type 4 years ago and 7 weeks ago my '04 996 C2. First one was a "purchase" and second one is a "lease." Really no problem with either of the transactions. I was close enough (250 miles) that I coould drive over to North Atlanta and pick them up, so I can't comment about shipping issues. FYI.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Box-doc - I purchased my 993TT from Chicago. I bought a round trip ticket (cheaper) checked out the exterior, options, etc. I had an appointment for a PPI and also with a reputable body shop to check out the panels, paint, etc. Once everything checked out, I paid the PO, checked into a hotel for a good night sleep (couldn't sleep). I left Chicago at 6:00a on a Thurs and pulled into my driveway in So. Cal on Fri at 5:00p just in time to attend a b-day party.

I'd do it all over again. BTW, this was last Nov.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Thegman
Banned

Bought two new Porsches out of state. Very satisfied. If you are financing, you may consider a lender who will give you a "sight draft" that you can bring to the out of state dealer. You'll have to get a title from the state you live in but that's fairly simple. You'll pay the estimated state sales tax at delivery and may to have to pay more upon registration in your state. But if you buy from a dealer who will discount a car to you, it will pay for your airfare and you can have a great road trip in a great new car!
Old 04-24-2005, 08:07 PM
dmgcfg
Advanced

Have purchased several vehicles out of state and never had a problem. Never paid estimated sales tax at delivery either. I have always paid sales tax at the time of registration in my home state (CT). Maybe all states are different. Had great luck with Intercity Lines as a shipper although they always seem to be quite busy with wait of at least a couple of weeks for pickup and another week or so in transit depending on the length of the trip.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:35 PM
krisd
Instructor

I live in Northern California and purchased my car in Texas about a year ago. I arranged to have a PPI done before I flew out there to pick it up. I did not finance the purchase, so you should check with your bank about that. I brought a cashiers check with me, gave a final once over and then forked over the check and took off for an awsome drive home (2,000 miles in 2-1/2 days). If you are driving it home, check with your local DMV to see if you need a temporary license. As it turns out, I paid for a temporary Texas license but did not actually need it.

This is my first P-car, so the drive home was too short IMO. I could have drove for a week! Once I got over putting 2,000 miles on a car that only had 24,000 over the previous 5 years all was good.

I would recommend buying as far away as possible and then driving it home!

Kris
Old 04-26-2005, 11:50 AM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Huntington Beach, CA, and bought my 996 from a Porsche dealer in Michigan (an '01, with 5400 miles, bought in '04). I would have flown out to look at it but was fortunate that a friend had recently moved within 100 miles of the dealer, and if there's anyone more **** about cars than me, it's him! So he went, had an independent PPI done, and took, literally, a hundred pics and emailed them to me. It was just like I was there. I got a great deal on the car and saved the "CA premium", even after cost of shipping.

I fedexed the payment, closed the deal, and had the car shipped via Reliable enclosed. I made sure he took a photo of the emissions sticker showing the car had CA emissions (it was my belief ALL late model Porsches had CA emissions, but I wanted to be sure). Once the car arrived, I had to take it to the DMV for inspection and licensing. No big deal.

It now has 13000 miles and I love it! My only regret is not being able to drive it back from MI, but it was toward the end of winter and I was concerned about road conditions.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Need to use my bank in state and tring to get financing worked out first to see how best to do
Old 04-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If the car is a new 2004, then the condition should be no issue, so your biggest issue is the distance. If it's within driving distance, you need to get your insurance certificate in hand as well as a check (I would never wire money to them in advance), and then just get over there and drive it back home. Since the dealer is in another state, they can't register it for you, so they need to come up with some type of temporary plate to enable you to drive the car home. Most states have a mechanism for temporary plates. If it's too far to drive, then you need to just transact by Fedex and pay to have the car shipped to you.

When you get back home, you need to go to DMV, register the car and pay sales tax. If you state has safety inspections, you'll most likely need to get that done within a short period of time after registering the car. Last, the biggest inconvenience is that your local Porsche dealer most likely won't give you a loaner car since you didn't buy the car from them.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Has anyone had any problems with buying a car out of state
Old 04-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Has anyone had problems with financing for out of state cars ??? for the best finance rate too???
Old 05-01-2005, 11:14 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by Boxsterdoc47
Has anyone had problems with financing for out of state cars ??? for the best finance rate too???

check out www.patelco.com

they gave me 4.2% for buying my 911 - used car, 4 year loan. this rate is still valid.

they are a credit union but anyone can be a member

I live in Nashville, TN and bought my car out of state in Louisville, KY - they were very helpful

PM me if you want the name of the woman who organised the loan for me
Old 05-02-2005, 03:37 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Can't tell you about financing as I paid cash....however, I did run into a problem with the State of Florida. Apparently their tax records are incorrect and they think that they get a 4% sales tax on a private sale for a Georgia resident....Georgia does not tax on private sales of automobiles....you pay Ad Velorum taxes when you apply for a tag....so, after confirming with my DMV that I should not be paying any Taxes, I brought the plate from my 996, bought the car, slapped it on and drove back to GA. You should only be responsible for the taxes that your own state charges.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:45 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is true for now. I believe there is a movement to allow the selling state to collect some sort of tax!

Quick Reply: Is it a BIG hassle buying a car OUT OF STATE?