Sponsored by:

Silenced Those Cab Top Squeaks and Growls

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 12:49 AM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Silenced Those Cab Top Squeaks and Growls

Well I took the whole rear mess apart tonight to find out why my top was hanging up (1999 C2 Cab). Really it was just the body panel that would stop after retracting about 1/4 inch then everything else came to a screeching halt. Seems I had a little micro-switch that was sticking on the latch actuator mechanism. Well before I put it all back together, I cleaned everything back there thoroughly. Ya know, there's an awful lot of rubber against plastic, rubber against glass and rubber against metal back there and on the soft top edges. As I was putting it all back together, I soaked everything in Meguiar's Rubber and Vinyl Conditioner and wiped it all clean leaving a healthy coating of the stuff on all of the rubber and plastic.

Well I'll be dipped. I took it for a ride and that is, by far, the quietest I have ever heard this car (sans engine growl). Not a squeak or creak out of the soft top could be heard - not a one. What a difference. And - bonus - the top works flawlessly now.

Dan
1999 C2 Cabriolet (White/Black)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
1994 Dodge RAM 2500HD 4WD
1964 Piper Cherokee 235
Old 04-23-2005, 07:06 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

996pilot - All the rubber you soak....are you talking about the rubber that seals at the top of the windshield and the rubber in the rear that goes around the entire rear bottom? I have tons of noises on my top and would love to quiet it down a bit....are there more pieces that I should try and use rubber conditioner on?

THanks in advance,
Will
Old 04-24-2005, 03:05 PM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will - best way to get at everything is to partially retract the top and stop after the body panel is fully in the UP position and the forward part of the top is about a foot behind the windshield. Then you can easily get to ALL of the areas you need to including all of the rubber at the back. Take special note of where the side windows seat in the top rubber. There are three separate pieces of rubber (segmented when the top is in the partially retracted position) on each side. The windows seat between the fat rubber and the plastic lip (up into the rubber seal). Get a soaked rag (with Meguiar's) up into those seating areas and clean them well and leave them a bit wet with Meguiar's. Treat all of the other exposed pieces of rubber the same way. Don't forget the side rear windows and their attached piece of rubber to seal to the side windows. Treat them all. Then go for a ride without squeaks and listen to the engine - yeah baby!

996Pilot
Old 04-24-2005, 10:01 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

996Pilot - Thanks for the details....I'll have to go out and get the Meguairs and give it a try!

Thanks,
Will

Quick Reply: Silenced Those Cab Top Squeaks and Growls